Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Brits & Bourbon

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Brits & Bourbon

Postby ScotchPalate » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:25 pm

What is the most popular Bourbon in Britan?

Is Jack Daniel's popular there?

SP
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:01 pm

The newspaper the Sun is popular here. That does not make it a good newspaper. Perhaps the most common denominator is not the way to view greatness.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Brits & Bourbon

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:17 pm

ScotchPalate wrote:What is the most popular Bourbon in Britan?

SP

Technicallity, but Jack is not a Bourbon, but a Tenn. Whiskey. The charcol filtering makes it something "other."
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby RufusA » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:20 pm

The most popular Bourbon in the UK is probably a biscuit!

Jack Daniels is very widely available in the UK, and abominations such as "JD and Cola" are probably regularly ordered in bars across the land.

However AFAIK Jack Daniels is not a bourbon, but a Tennessee whiskey.

Most popular widely available "pub" bourbon in the UK is likely to be Jim Beam, though for most of the uneducated UK whiskey drinkers Jim Beam and Jack Daniels are interchangeable, being just different brands of the same "stuff"!

In supermarkets and off licenses Wild Turkey and Buffalo Trace have started to creep in, only noticeably in the last 2-3 years, and in equal quantities. However with these being in the same price bracket as goodish Single Malts I would suspect JD to outsell them considerably in the supermarket.

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby Wave » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:43 pm

SP

As RufusA said, JD is widely available in the UK, just about any pub you walk in will have a big bottle of it hanging upsidedown ready to pour. Jim Beam is probably the widest available bourbon in the UK as it is also huge in Australia. Budwieser beer is also popular over in the UK but for the life of me I can't understand why except for the marketting & advertisement edge. When I'm sitting in a Scottish pub drinking another excellent Scottish brew I cringe when a young Scot comes in an orders a Budweiser (or as I call it, buttwiper!).

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:55 pm

Yeah...if you're going to drink lager, at least have a Tennent's, for gorsh sake. But make mine Deuchar's.
Deactivated Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:27 am

Yes, I do know that Jack is a Tennessee Whiskey, which is why I asked it seperateky from my Bourbon question. I was just curious to know what's popular across the pond? To see if Brits liked Bourbon...and Tennessee Whiskey.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:32 am

We may be fussy about the distinction, but Scotch producers aren't. I've never heard Ardbeg say that their whisky is matured in Tennessee whiskey barrels.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:40 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:We may be fussy about the distinction, but Scotch producers aren't. I've never heard Ardbeg say that their whisky is matured in Tennessee whiskey barrels.

:lol: Good point :D
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:45 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

After I started learning about whiskey (which ain't that long ago) I was surprised to see Early Times & Jack under the Bourbon Section of many bar menus. Must drive the technical purists crazy!
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby bamber » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:39 am

SP

Jack Daniel's is very popular and JB white label is the most common bourbon.

Most 'up market' pubs have Maker's Mark, Wild Turkey 8yo 101 and perhaps Woodford Reserve. Next up is Buffalo Trace and JD variants. However, I can get a pour of pretty much every bourbon currently in production from combining 4 different bars around bristol. The Rummer and Woods (Whisky bar) are the main ones.

Wave wrote:When I'm sitting in a Scottish pub drinking another excellent Scottish brew I cringe when a young Scot comes in an orders a Budweiser (or as I call it, buttwiper!).

As an aside, I always think it is treat to have a nice fizzy light, crisp Budweiser on tap, as a change, when its sunny :shock:
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:11 pm

Wave wrote:When I'm sitting in a Scottish pub drinking another excellent Scottish brew I cringe when a young Scot comes in an orders a Budweiser (or as I call it, buttwiper!).

Cheers!

Yeah - so do we! WASSUUPPP!
Jacky D is popular here as is Jim Beam. Its a bit like Glenfiddich being the most popular SMW worldwide but not in its country of origin.
Deactivated Member

Postby martin grant » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:00 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Yeah...if you're going to drink lager, at least have a Tennent's, for gorsh sake. But make mine Deuchar's.

Sorry Mr T-H, I would hate to be picky but Deuchars don't make any lager. If that's what you want to drink, then you're drinking ale.
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:09 pm

I have just returned from London (two day business trip). I only managed to visit two pubs, but in both I noticed the usual lack of malts, Jim Beam and JD - but also in both a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon.

At the second pub (Bag o' Nails, close to Buckingham Palace), my colleague and I had a Greene King cask ale IPA and the above mentioned bourbon. Both were quite nice :D

At both pubs I also noticed Jameson NAS. One gets the impression somebody is pushing these two brands at the moment.
Last edited by Jan on Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:55 pm

Jacky D is popular here as is Jim Beam. Its a bit like Glenfiddich being the most popular SMW worldwide but not in its country of origin.

I'll never forget a whisky tasting I went to about 12 years ago, the person giving the tasting was a Reverend(?) from Edinburgh who likened Glenfiddich to that of "bathwater". :lol:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:02 am

martin grant wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:Yeah...if you're going to drink lager, at least have a Tennent's, for gorsh sake. But make mine Deuchar's.

Sorry Mr T-H, I would hate to be picky but Deuchars don't make any lager. If that's what you want to drink, then you're drinking ale.

I know very well what it is, Martin, and it's what I want. Never touch lager. Read that "But I'd rather have a Deuchar's than any lager."

8)
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder