Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

OMC Ardbegs and Laphroaigs

All your whisky related questions answered here.

OMC Ardbegs and Laphroaigs

Postby Knolly » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:24 am

I've noticed that OMC is a quite respected IB - and that there are a fair number of OMC Ardbeg and Laphoaig bottles out there.

So, the question is this: Can it generally be assumed that these bottlings will be decent and a way to try one of my favourite malts in a different style without paying ridiculous prices (lots are around the $80-100 CDN price range)? In particular, I'm thinking of stuff like the Arbeg at 10 and 15 yrs or Laphroaig 17 - and of course being OMC, these are all at cask strength.

Or am I going to get myself into the scary world of Independents and spend some money on bottles that might only be so-so.

Thanks!
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby Wave » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:53 am

I've seen some OMC's that were casked strength but most are at their preferred strength of 50% alc/vol.

I love IB's and have many in my collection including OMC's from Caol Ila & Port Ellen and for the most part the OMC's have been very good though I've run into some stinkers like a Glenrothes 17yo that was wayyy over sherried. There are some distilleries like Highland Park were I prefer IB's over an OB any day.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:55 am

buy the IB's to drink.
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:52 am

adogranonthepitch wrote:buy the IB's to drink.

Over on this side of the pond we don't have the luxury of getting OB's from all of the distilleries, in fact I'd say at least half and from most distilleries we'll only get a selected few. If you want to try a whisky from a distillery that doesn't ship their OB's here like Ben Nevis, Glen Grant, Mortlach, etc. your only option outside of shipping direct from the UK are IB"s. Some IB's will go up in value if that's your thing, a Port Ellen 24yr old 1978 The Whisky Shop 10th Anniversary Bottling I bought originally for £95 had gone up to £130 by the time the last bottles were sold, but I didn't buy it to sell as all in my collection, I bought it to drink ....eventually. :wink: I've heard it's Excellent!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Re: OMC Ardbegs and Laphroaigs

Postby corbuso » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:29 am

Knolly wrote:I've noticed that OMC is a quite respected IB - and that there are a fair number of OMC Ardbeg and Laphoaig bottles out there.

So, the question is this: Can it generally be assumed that these bottlings will be decent and a way to try one of my favourite malts in a different style without paying ridiculous prices (lots are around the $80-100 CDN price range)? In particular, I'm thinking of stuff like the Arbeg at 10 and 15 yrs or Laphroaig 17 - and of course being OMC, these are all at cask strength.

Or am I going to get myself into the scary world of Independents and spend some money on bottles that might only be so-so.

Thanks!

OMC are rarely at cask strength, but reduced at 50°. I have/had many great OMC bottlings, but I also had a few disappointings ones, including a Laphroaig. My advice, would be to taste it first before purchasing it.
Regarding the Ardbegs, unfortunately, the OMC 10-15 YO are more expensive than the Ardbegs OB.

Corbuso
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Knolly » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:34 am

Great - thanks for all the replies!

Good to know about the 50% vs. CS of the OMC IBs. The reason that they interested me is that there are a few around here and the prices aren't really all that bad. They're higher than say Ardbeg Ten, but lower than say Oogie or Nam. However, if they're only around 50% (and Ten is already at 46%), then maybe it's not such a big deal (not that ABV makes a good whisky or not, but just that it might be something like a cask Ten which Ardbeg doesn't make as an OB).

I guess the best advice - as usual - would be to try before you buy...

They would be to drink - not for collecting. if I was going to do that, i'd probably buy all the PC5 I could find :)

Cheers!
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:26 am

OMC Ardbegs are getting very expensive, almost double what you pay for the same vintage of Bunnahabhain or Bladnoch. At those prices they'd better be good! So far I've only had good experiences with them but the new prices are getting out of whack.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:13 am

Definitely recommended! Highly!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:07 pm

My experiance with OMC bottlings is that they tend to be significantly better than distillery bottlings, but more pricy, and you do get the odd bottle that's less than stellar. Having said that, it's the only bottling line that I'd buy at a good price without trying first. And that's saying something!!!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Knolly » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:01 am

My experiance with OMC bottlings is that they tend to be significantly better than distillery bottlings, but more pricy, and you do get the odd bottle that's less than stellar. Having said that, it's the only bottling line that I'd buy at a good price without trying first. And that's saying something!!!

Ya, that is what I've heard, though I've never bought any OMCs before. As much as I generally like Bruichladdich, I've had several MMDs that I've thought were only so-so (or even didn't like). Same with Scotts as well as some others. However the DL- OMC IBs though seem to have a pretty strong following.

The ones I'm (potentially) looking at are an Ardbeg 15 year ($130 CDN) and a Laphroaig 17 (also $130). Outside of that, there isn't much information and they would have to be mail ordered, so trying isn't really possible. ACK!!!

:)
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:22 pm

MMD used to be great with only single cask bottlings, no funky finishes but I agree that I think they rely too heavily on wine finishes these days and the lack of single casks also hurts them. They are not the 100% reliable ticket they used to be for me when purchasing so I now try before I buy.

I have yet to have a bad bottling from Laing but the prices are getting dear and the 6 case private order minimum is also a bit rich for me (I'd love to buy 3 cases of Ardbeg, a couple of cases of Bladnoch and a case of Bunnahabhain but it would run about $6000 and this is for 10-15yo whisky).

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby parvus » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:35 am

Knolly wrote:The ones I'm (potentially) looking at are an Ardbeg 15 year ($130 CDN) and a Laphroaig 17 (also $130). Outside of that, there isn't much information and they would have to be mail ordered, so trying isn't really possible. ACK!!!

:)

I've got a bottle of the Laphroaig, and while it isn't open, I purchased a bottle as soon as I could after having a sample of it at a tasting. Definitely a very nice dram in my book.

I've had a few Ardbeg from DL, and they were all really fine examples of single cask Ardbeg's - I don't think you can go too wrong there.

I've not had that particular Ardbeg, but i'd personally go for the Laphroaig if I had to choose.
parvus
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder