Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Beer in a whisky cask

General chat and talk about whisky.

Beer in a whisky cask

Postby Onefortheditch » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:01 pm

In Scotland, I've now tried Innis and Gunn (6.6%) and 1488 (7%). Innes and Gunn is quite nice, but 1488 should be classed as a special beer - its marvellous!! :o

Now there is Paradox. Has anyone tried it? :?:
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:23 pm

not tried it, but i pass tullibardine all the time going up and down the a9, ill need to pop in just to try it i guess :thumbsup:
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:37 pm

Paradox is produced by BrewDog, a new Scottish Brewery V7
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Wave » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:42 am

Hmmm, sounds like a depthcharge! Get a mug of beer and a shot of whiskey, take the shot of whiskey (glass and all) and drop it into the mug of beer. Drink briskly! :o

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:24 am

Fantastic stuff that Innis and Gunn, I'll have to taste that 1488!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby RufusA » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:35 am

Personally I didn't rate the Innis and Gunn too much. I got a bottle in a goodie bag from WL a couple of years ago and found the beer too woody.

I was going through a phase of IPAs and beers with floral notes at the time, so I may have been a little harsh in my judging.

Whilst at WL this year went to the Glenmorangie and Fuller, Smith and Turner tasting, and they are working together on something exciting. Though I believe they have a few legal hurdles to jump through still, so whether anything will make it to the market is another matter.

To me this would be a better combination in terms of taste profile, but until then I'll have to stick to hoppy beers with malt chasers!

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby Leither » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:51 am

For those in the UK - Innis & Gunn have just released, in Waitrose and Sainsburys, a caskt strength version at 7.7%. Just like a cask strength version of your favourite malt, same flavours but amplified.

Wonderful stuff! :dead:
Leither
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:55 am

The French market has a few of these type of beers they seem to like them quite a lot. Things like Adelscott. Nice cold if its hot.

:empty:
les taylor

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:42 am

les taylor wrote:The French market has a few of these type of beers they seem to like them quite a lot. Things like Adelscott. Nice cold if its hot.

:empty:

Wow, what memories! Adelscott I remember from summers in Italy growing up! "ADELSCOTT WAS THE FIRST BEER FLAVOURED WITH PEAT-SMOKED WHISKEY MALT." Wow :insane:
Di Blasi

Postby Jack Skellington » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:19 pm

I know it is personal taste and all that but come on......anyone who enjoyed the Tullibardine one needs seeing to! It is £3.49 at our local tesco and tasted so bad we opened the 2nd one to see if the first was alright.

Now Innes and Gunn, theres a good 'un!
Jack Skellington

Re: Beer in a whisky cask

Postby Iain » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:33 pm

Onefortheditch wrote:In Scotland, I've now tried Innis and Gunn (6.6%) and 1488 (7%). Innes and Gunn is quite nice, but 1488 should be classed as a special beer - its marvellous!! :o

Now there is Paradox. Has anyone tried it? :?:

I didn't like the Innes and Gunn. But I have a 1488 in the cupboard -I'll give it a try this weekend (an keep fingers crossed I don't share Jack's taste in beers!).

I stopped off at Tullieb at Easter, and they have several different beers on sale in the shop now

I tried Adelscott long ago. Yeugh! (imho of course!)
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Dan G » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:51 pm

I don't mind the Innis and Gunn at first, but one bottle is enough at a time. I think part of the problem with it is the barrels they use - I didn't like the whisky (a Wm. Grant blend) that they had been used for previously.

I was told by a local rep, who was pouring 'the sequence', that Grants Ale Cask whisky is aged in the same barrels - so first for whisky, then the ale, and then another batch of whisky. Can anyone confirm this? It seems a bit much to me.
Dan G

Postby Leither » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:35 am

No Dan, it's the other way round, an ex-bourbon cask gets the ale first and then goes on to finish Grants Ale Cask Blend. From their (http://www.innisandgunn.com/index.html) website:

Innis & Gunn beer was discovered completely by accident...

Back in 2002, leading whisky producer William Grant & Sons decided to make ale-finished whisky. Renowned Brewer, Dougal Sharp, was commissioned to formulate a special beer to impart a smooth, beery character to the bourbon barrels. This would in turn flavour the maturing whisky (port and sherry finished whiskies are made in the same way).

A unique, malty, Scottish Beer was produced. This was placed in the barrels for 30 days, before being discarded to make room for the whisky.

The Ale Cask Whisky was a real success, and it was only many months later, after thousands of gallons of beer had been thrown away, that Dougal received a call that would change everything.

The Distillery manager told him that workers emptying the barrels were filling empty lemonade bottles with the beer… They had discovered something that no one else had even thought about - the beer had been completely transformed by its time in the oak!

The beer was then tasted by industry experts and scored an unheard of 9 out of 9! In August 2003, Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Beer was launched to a thirsty world, and no one has looked back since.

And the name Innis & Gunn? It’s the middle names of the founder, Dougal and his brother Neil.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:33 pm

Dan G wrote:I don't mind the Innis and Gunn at first, but one bottle is enough at a time. I think part of the problem with it is the barrels they use - I didn't like the whisky (a Wm. Grant blend) that they had been used for previously.

I was told by a local rep, who was pouring 'the sequence', that Grants Ale Cask whisky is aged in the same barrels - so first for whisky, then the ale, and then another batch of whisky. Can anyone confirm this? It seems a bit much to me.

Yes, Dan...that's the case. Grant's needed beer to season the barrels for its Ale Cask blend, and according to Ian Millar, the plan was to dump the beer, but the guys who were in charge of that kept taking it home. Finally, they told the bosses about it, and Grant's decided to start selling the beer as well...

It's just now entering the Northeast US...I have a couple of bottles, and while it's not my first choice when I have a beer, it's a good change of pace.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:01 pm

Innes and Gunn is a nice beer with a mild hint of whisky whereas 1488 is almost like a blend of beer and whisky. You can really taste the Tullibardine whisky in the beer. I know it's expensive, but worth it.

Will have to try Adelscott, although I can't remember seeing it in the shops so maybe you can't get it here?

I haven't poured a whisky into a beer yet, but it sounds a good idea! :thumbsup:

BrewDog is a Speyside brewery I think. It was in the local paper recently. Don't know what kind of whisky they use in Paradox though? But they do have a few distilleries close by!! :!:
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Paradox Link

Postby Onefortheditch » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:45 pm

Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:11 pm

I thought I would revive this thread as I've just tried Paradox on draft (the Islay cask version).

They should have called it Paradise instead of Paradox - its really nice.

At 10% abv it is very dark and has a treacle taste. The Lade Inn (near Callendar) sells it and they also have a real ale shope. The guy who runs it said he had the best selection of Scottish beers in Scotland. I think he could be right!!

They only sell it by the half pint....and that's enough!!

Costs £4.95 for a 330cl bottle though! :shock:
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:49 pm

Sounds nice Onefortheditch. I'd love to try the bottled version of it. Luckily, there's now an importer for Innis & Gunn at least. Will be in the norwegian market by next year I think it was.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Matt2 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:26 pm

I will be looking out for this, thought the In 'n Gun was great, a real winter warmer beer and a perfect break between whiskies.
Matt2

Postby randall fairbrook » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:20 am

allagash has a beer aged in bourbon barrels:

" Allagash Curieux

In October of 2004, we released the first beer in our series of Barrel Aged beers, Allagash Curieux. To make the Curieux (French for "curious"), we age our Tripel Ale in Jim Beam barrels for 8 weeks in our cellar. During the aging process in bourbon barrels, the beer is totally transformed, and many new flavors and aromas develop. Most notably, the beer picks up soft coconut and vanilla characteristics...and also a hint of bourbon flavor! "
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:35 pm

randall fairbrook wrote:allagash has a beer aged in bourbon barrels:

" Allagash Curieux

In October of 2004, we released the first beer in our series of Barrel Aged beers, Allagash Curieux. To make the Curieux (French for "curious"), we age our Tripel Ale in Jim Beam barrels for 8 weeks in our cellar. During the aging process in bourbon barrels, the beer is totally transformed, and many new flavors and aromas develop. Most notably, the beer picks up soft coconut and vanilla characteristics...and also a hint of bourbon flavor! "

Wow, sounds really nice! Send some up this way!
Di Blasi

Postby randall fairbrook » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:56 pm

if i thought i could do it without the cork leaking or some stuff like that...i would........hmmm....can it be done... ?

am right now drinking harvestoun special reserve old engine oil 8% - aged in SMW casks for 6 months...

malt/chocolate nose....

chocolate and anise on first taste....cannot get much in the way of malt whisky taste..the licorice is kind of overbearing...
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:17 pm

That sounds great! Love to taste it sometime!
Di Blasi

Postby Leither » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:51 pm

On a related theme I was lucky enough to pick up a few of these as xmas presents:

http://www.innisandgunn.com/thebeer_newproducts.htm

For those who like the normal and cask strength I&G products this one was released at the end of 2007, but note limited edition.

It's an absolutely marvellous rum cask matured ale! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leither
Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:06 pm

Leither wrote:On a related theme I was lucky enough to pick up a few of these as xmas presents:

http://www.innisandgunn.com/thebeer_newproducts.htm

For those who like the normal and cask strength I&G products this one was released at the end of 2007, but note limited edition.

It's an absolutely marvellous rum cask matured ale! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes they are yummy. I think I got mine from sainsburys on a 342 offer!

I suppose they have been in Glenfiddich casks as their registered office in Glenfiddich. Maybe the Gran reserva casks!
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Leither » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:33 am

Woodhill, cheers, they are great - I'm glad someone else has tried them.

I think, unlike the regular I&G where the new casks go on to mature whisky for the Grants Ale Cask Blend, these ones are finished in Navy Rum casks (as opposed to a rum finished whisky). At least that's how I interpret it.

Anyway, it's bloody good stuff - as soon as I tased it I went back and bought a case it was that good.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:20 am

my favorite deli owner just told me they would be getting in different age expressions of the aforementioned engine oil..will let y'all know
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:20 am

I presume this is the Paradox your on about ......
http://www.brewdog.com/paradox.php ,
Was tempted to order some on line but i'm not a big fan of Stout style beer , they use some interesting DTC casks Tho........
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:02 pm

That is the Paradox SOI.

Another beer in a whisky cask - Orkney Dark Island Limited Edition. 10% abv and £10 per bottle....

I was tempted, but stopped myself. £10 seemed a bit steep.

And talking of strong beers, has anyone tried Nigerian Guinness. At 7.5%abv, its brill!! You can get it in Tesco here.

I used to hear that Guinness didn't travel well and that the stuff brewed in the UK was not as good as the Irish stuff.

Well,it seems to have gone to Nigeria and came back better!! :)
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:21 am

http://www.bunitedint.com/portfolios/pr ... erview.php

just bought 2 of each age, have not tried yet, these ales are aged in highland park 12, 16 and 30 yr casks....
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:36 am

randall fairbrook wrote:http://www.bunitedint.com/portfolios/producers/harviestoun/ola_dubh/overview.php

just bought 2 of each age, have not tried yet, these ales are aged in highland park 12, 16 and 30 yr casks....

Great link Randall, sound great, really looking forward to reading how they are! :P
Di Blasi

Postby TheTross » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:07 pm

Didn't realise there were as many whisky-matured beers as there are! I've only tried the 1488 (really didn't like that one at all, was cloyingly sweet) and all three Innis & Gunns that have been mentioned, with the Rum-matured being my favourite but both the Original and the cask-strength variant also being very good. And last time I went into Sainsbury's I noticed that the Original now comes in 75cl bottles as well, priced £3.19.

Paradox is definitely on my To Drink list - I don't care what batch, although it was the bottling from Caol Ila casks that first got my attention.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby martinh » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:16 pm

I prefer the Paradox (Ardbeg) to the Bruichalddich Ale which Islay Ales were selling, made from the Octamore barley.

The level of 'smoke' on the Paradox is quite amazing - perhaps from cask charring??? - it seems more smoky to me than the whisky, so that's the only place I can think it came from ! I also think the use of a strong stout is genius. Much better than standard ale. And whilst it's ££££ the fact it comes in small bottles inspires one to sip and enjoy slowly, rather than 'drink' as a beer.
martinh

Postby Leither » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:36 pm

I&G Original, now in 75cl as well you say - great, will look out for that now :thumbsup:

I still have a few of the Rum cask I&G left from xmas time - marvellous stuff. With the cask strength and the rum cask, I now find the I&G original/standard strength to be a wee bit tame, a bit like finding cask strength whisky and going back to 40-46%.

I'm not so keen on the 1488 though. Also I found the Paradox to be just too much, the smoky/kipper taste just overpowers the ale IMHO. I found it similar to the Fishky, Laddie finished in herring casks!

I'll stick to I&G, masterful stuff.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:36 pm

Still got one bottle of I&G Rum Cask left from Christmas myself. Trouble is I don't want to drink it because it's the only one left, but I do want to drink it because it's too nice not to! Has got until December to be drank though, so it's going to be saved for a little while at least.

Have just ordered the Deluxe pack from Brewdog, which includes three bottles of Paradox and three bottles of their normal stout (Rip Tide), so when that arrives I'll be interested to see how much influence the whisky actually has. Besides, stout is one of my favourite beer styles, so am really looking forward to these!
TheTross
Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder