Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What would happen

All your whisky related questions answered here.

What would happen

Postby Jacques » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:22 am

What do you GURUS out there think would come out of the following....
Buy lets say 50 bottles of a Single Malt (of the one you like) and pour it all in a used empty barrel of Venezuelan Rum for some years.... any comments???
Jacques

Postby killerwhale » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:52 am

hmmm if I liked a malt I'd not want to tamper with it..... however if I happened to have 50 I didn't like....

:|
killerwhale
Gold Member

Re: What would happen

Postby les taylor » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:19 am

Jacques wrote:What do you GURUS out there think would come out of the following....
Buy lets say 50 bottles of a Single Malt (of the one you like) and pour it all in a used empty barrel of Venezuelan Rum for some years.... any comments???

Jacques when you have done it could you send me a sample please.

:shock:
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:33 am

A few years would probably overwhelm the flavour of the whisky. Most finishing periods are a matter of months or sometimes even less.

Also I don't know how big a Venezuelan rum barrel is but 50 bottles isn't a lot. I suspect you would would have too much air in the barrel and some oxidation would occur.

I think you would end up with some pretty undrinkable whisky. :yuk:

At least you can send it to Les. :empty:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby kljostad » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:07 am

Pedantery aside. :lol:

If it was a really dry whisky, it could be an improvement. After all, they have tried to double mature whisky in almost everything else, so it would definetly be worth a try.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:24 am

The most common cask for maturing rum is the standard ex-bourbon barrel containing 200 litres but 50 bottles wouldn't even fill a quarter of that barrel, thus oxidation could cause some problems. If you're in the horeca business it might be an idea to contact Industrias Pampero C.A. or some other distiller to ask if they would be interested in making you a smaller barrel - or maybe even join up in the project? Make sure you keep quiet about it or Chavez will have your barrel nationalised......
Mr Fjeld

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:34 am

Hey Jacques, go easy on yourself and just buy 50 bottles of a rum cask finished whisky, like an Old Malt Cask Ardbeg for instance. And it saves you the trouble and experiment possibly going terribly wrong, ruining your good whisky.
Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:43 am

I remember there was some discussion here regarding experimenting with putting whisky into a smaller used cask. Maybe that info would help Jacques.
Di Blasi

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:57 pm

Jacques wrote:What do you GURUS out there think would come out of the following....

My advice would be to buy a 2, 5 or 10 litre cask (available on Ebay)

FIll with Venezuelan Rum for six months. Now you have an extra matured Rum as well as a Rum Cask.

Then fill with your fav whisky.

By doing this on a small scale at least if it goes pear shaped you'll only lose a few bottles and not 50 which could be an expensive mishap.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:09 pm

Use 50 bottles of LSF. Nobody would give a :yuk: if it worked or not. At best it would improve it slightly - at the very worst at least we'd know that 50 bottles of the muck were out of circulation for a while :lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:28 pm

Crieftan wrote:Use 50 bottles of LSF. Nobody would give a :yuk: if it worked or not. At best it would improve it slightly - at the very worst at least we'd know that 50 bottles of the muck were out of circulation for a while :lol:

Criefy do you think there's any mileage in an LSF Appreciation Society.

:D
les taylor

Thanks

Postby Jacques » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:52 pm

Boy that was nice... thanks for all those comments... true about not filling enough of the cask... but lets prettend we do fill the cask... and then again... not a great SM might get better..

On the other hand doing a smaller trial with a smaller cask would do... I have some contacts with Santa Teresa Rum and might be able to find a small cask... That could be a great idea..
Jacques

Re: Thanks

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:46 pm

Jacques wrote:On the other hand doing a smaller trial with a smaller cask would do... I have some contacts with Santa Teresa Rum and might be able to find a small cask... That could be a great idea..

Incidentally, Santa Teresa 1796 is high on my wishlist.......

It would be fun to know how things turn out Jacques, please let us know?
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:16 pm

les taylor wrote:

Aw Les - you nearly had me there - you're just funnin' with ol' Criefy :P
Deactivated Member

Postby martin grant » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:20 pm

Crieftan wrote:Use 50 bottles of LSF.

Please excuse my muppetry. What is LSF? :?: :oops:
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:41 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:

My advice would be to buy a 2, 5 or 10 litre cask (available on Ebay)

FIll with Venezuelan Rum for six months. Now you have an extra matured Rum as well as a Rum Cask.

Then fill with your fav whisky.

By doing this on a small scale at least if it goes pear shaped you'll only lose a few bottles and not 50 which could be an expensive mishap.

You can buy these small barrels from 1000oaks barrell co. (Just google it).
I got a couple of them last year that are currents filled with the cheapest bourbon sherry and rum I could find. I intend to empty these soon and replace with something special from the hills of county mayo, which just happens to be made with malt, unmalted barley and oats.

It will be interesting to see what the barrells have done to the bourbon and rum which might point the way for what you're trying to do. I'll let you know.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:10 pm

martin grant wrote:
Crieftan wrote:Use 50 bottles of LSF.

Please excuse my muppetry. What is LSF? :?: :oops:

Ledaig Sherry Finish - a whisky - allegedly.
Deactivated Member

Postby Matt2 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:11 pm

martin grant wrote:Please excuse my muppetry. What is LSF?

:thumbsup: Ledaig Sherry Finish
Matt2

Postby Jacques » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:43 am

Thanks Iain... Id like to know the outcome...
something else... tonight I had a discussion with some friends on the topic and some questions arose... on one hand, does the Malt need to have enough alc. vol to support more aging..?? example of 40% woould be unacceptable as per evaporation... and on the other hand, would a small cask give enough flavour to the finished product...
Jacques

Postby Jacques » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:46 am

Mr Fjeld
I am some what surprised that you know and have on your wish list this excellent Venezuelan rum... actually one of the best... would you like a cheap bottle... the only problem would be the high freight costs... I could take one to Miami and ship it from there... provided that there would be no problem with shipping companies.. heard there is some problems with that...
Jacques

Postby kljostad » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:12 am

Jacques wrote:Thanks Iain... Id like to know the outcome...
something else... tonight I had a discussion with some friends on the topic and some questions arose... on one hand, does the Malt need to have enough alc. vol to support more aging..?? example of 40% woould be unacceptable as per evaporation... and on the other hand, would a small cask give enough flavour to the finished product...

Actually, he smaller the cask, the more taste it adds to the finished product. The liquid gets more contact with wood in a small cask.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:23 am

Jacques wrote:Mr Fjeld
I am some what surprised that you know and have on your wish list this excellent Venezuelan rum... actually one of the best... would you like a cheap bottle... the only problem would be the high freight costs... I could take one to Miami and ship it from there... provided that there would be no problem with shipping companies.. heard there is some problems with that...

Hi Jacques, I hear people rave about Santa Teresa - and one day I will too I hope! Unfortunately, the cost of sending it isn't the worst problem - the norwegian customs are as they would confiscate the bottle immediately. But thanks for offer!

I did manage to get hold of another venezuelan beauty the other day - the Pampero Aniversario :)

Cheers!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby IainB » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:30 am

kljostad wrote:
Jacques wrote:Thanks Iain... Id like to know the outcome...

Actually, he smaller the cask, the more taste it adds to the finished product. The liquid gets more contact with wood in a small cask.

I concur Smaller casks can greatly accelerate the prcess. (I think the Laphraoig Quarter Cask works on this principle). Just checked on my own little casks last night, there seems to be quite a bit of evaporation, so you'll need something stronger than the 40%.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:41 am

Crieftan wrote:
les taylor wrote:

Aw Les - you nearly had me there - you're just funnin' with ol' Criefy :P

:wink: :wink:
les taylor

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder