Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Is there a list of non chill filtered whiskies?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Is there a list of non chill filtered whiskies?

Postby beemer05 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:15 pm

I am definitely a supporter of non chill filtered whisky. While many clearly state this on the label, I am guessing some do not. Does anyone know of a list showing all the distilleries (better yet, all bottlings) that are not chill filtered?

While we are at it, how about a list of those that do not add caramel coloring?

Thanks!
beemer05

Postby kljostad » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:47 pm

One clue is to go for whiskies in brown or green bottles. Chill-filtering and caramel coloring is only used for purely cosmetic reasons (altough I will claim till the day I die that Chill filtering alter the taste). If each bottle look different in color, they will have a lot of customer complaints, thats why they use caramel. Whisky with some oil still it in, may look blurred when it is chilled. Again, to avoid customer complaints, they chill filter it, to avoid the blurring.

In blank bottles you will almost always have chill filtered and caramel colored whisky, whereas in the colored bottles, they don't have to turn to tricks like that.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:00 pm

I read an interview with some man from Murray McDavid who said that they didn't chill fliter whisky because they couldn't afford the chill filtration process. The stuff about taste was just making a virtue of necessity. He also said that they had arrived at the strength of 46% for bottling not because of optimum flavour but because that was the strongest you could do unchillfiltered whisky without it going cloudy. This may or may not have been true, but it sounded refreshingly plausible.

Personally, I would judge a whisky by how it tastes, rather than on whether it is or isn't chill filtered. I bet unchillfiltered Dufftown is still nasty!
Deactivated Member

Postby Leither » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:03 pm

Not a definitive list by any means, but a guide would be from a highly reputable and user-friendly online supplier's site:

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/advancedsearch.asp

Choose whiskies that are 'unchillfiltered' and this will list their current bottlings.

Examples tend to be Ardbeg, Bruichladdich and the likes.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:17 pm

That's an interesting table Leither. It shows that actually a surprising amount of whisky is not chill filtered - including most of the single malts. Gordon and MacPhail do seem to be out on a limb by chill filtering their whiskies, along with Glenfiddich.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:44 am

Nick Brown wrote:He also said that they had arrived at the strength of 46% for bottling not because of optimum flavour but because that was the strongest you could do unchillfiltered whisky without it going cloudy....Personally, I would judge a whisky by how it tastes, rather than on whether it is or isn't chill filtered. I bet unchillfiltered Dufftown is still nasty!

You mean weakest, of course. And that is true, although it's not a hard-cut line--I suspect 46% is the lowest "safe" strength. I saw a bottle of unchillfiltered Bladnoch at 40% at the distillery that looked like an unfiltered weissbier.

A nasty malt is a nasty malt, and refraining from chillfiltering won't make it a good one, but in my experience unfiltered malts are very definitely superior, generally speaking. It may not be so in all cases, but it would take some persuading to convince me that any single malt would be better off chillfiltered.
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder