Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Irish WHiskey Club

General chat and talk about whisky.

Irish WHiskey Club

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:46 pm

Okay I'll start a new thread instead of bunging up the Who Have you Met Forum... nearly started to Hi Jack it.

Aidan wrote:I was going to set up a website, but haven't got around to it. I hope to do it in the next few months. Just an Irish whiskey website, since Peter Mulryan's is no longer running or updated at least.

I have Dreamweaver.

Yes I too had started to design web sitre in the last 6 months. I was just using Micro Soft Front page and really don't have a clue much further than than :roll:

Wendy wrote:Hello Adrian, John and Iain,
To launch the first Irish Whisky Club is a very exciting plan.

Consider me your first "satelite" member.

Wendy :thumbsup:

Consider yourself enrolled :wink: if we ever get it off the ground

IainB wrote:

Adrian, I agree with you on what it should be, but not sure how to start, esp. the website part. All I suppose I was really suggesting was that in the interim, we could see what interest there is, or at least hold discussion while actually drinking whiskey.

It would probably make sense to get Ally involved to some degree as I'd say he has a few people like us who buy regularly whom he could pass detials onto?

Maybe we should also sut up a new forum here to see how many members might be interested.

I totally agree too... we need to start meeting more regularly etc and that will probably be the impetus to get the ball rolling

Lawrence wrote:I think it's a great idea and I'm in (if you'll have me!). Also I wrote an article on Whiisky Fun/Malt Maniacs on starting a Club, here's the link;

http://www.whiskyfun.com/archiveoctober06-1.html

It's well down the page. This is exciting, I need to learn amore about Irish Whiskey.

Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence this is the type of thing we need. Appreciate it.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:20 pm

I hope it goes well guy's keep us informed.

:)
les taylor

Postby IainB » Tue May 01, 2007 8:46 am

I was tossing around a few ideas of how to start last night. I think Ally could be a help in this in some way. I'd though about the distilleries, but the problem is you get IDL trying to get you to join their club, which will evenually only taste Jameson and Midleton!

What do you think about trying to get Ally to organise a kind of independant tasting, with say the best 2 or 3 regularly available whiskies from each distillery or say a standard and something special from each one.

I suppose the only problem will be that most enthusiasts will probably have already tried them all! But it might be interesting to do it as a group.

Say something like:

Jameson 12yo (A good representitive of IDL Blends)
Redbreast 15YO (The something special)

Black Bush
Bushmills Sherry Cask Single Malt

Tyrconnell Madeira or Sherry finish
Connemara NAS?

Maybe throw in one or two non-Irish just for comparrison.

If there was interest that at least would form a nucleus.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue May 01, 2007 9:41 am

I think they already do them privately, Ian. I think such a tasting would be easy enough to organise through the shop.
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed May 02, 2007 11:43 am

Yes I think Ally would probably organise anything you asked of him if he was sure he'd get takers. And yes Ally is the man to go through to get people together.

Just setting up a basic club should be the first step then getting fancy after.

This really would be a long term plan to get Distilleries involved. But if we got a good Website going it is then that the distilleries will sit up and notice. Now I don't think we'd ever get as big as the likes of Malt Maniacs and the respect they command but we really have to be independant and say it it like we think. That includes slagging off even cooley when they go astray :wink: .
irishwhiskeychaser

Irish whisky club...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu May 03, 2007 5:18 am

IainB wrote:I was tossing around a few ideas of how to start last night. I think Ally could be a help in this in some way. I'd though about the distilleries, but the problem is you get IDL trying to get you to join their club, which will evenually only taste Jameson and Midleton!

...I suppose the only problem will be that most enthusiasts will probably have already tried them all! But it might be interesting to do it as a group.

Say something like:
Jameson 12yo (A good representitive of IDL Blends)
Redbreast 15YO (The something special)
Black Bush
Bushmills Sherry Cask Single Malt
Tyrconnell Madeira or Sherry finish
Connemara NAS?
Maybe throw in one or two non-Irish just for comparrison.
If there was interest that at least would form a nucleus.

Ianb et al:
I would be interested in getting involved, perhaps we could do a "global tasting" one day courtesy on the "What are you drinking now" forum. We could PM to set up a date and select whiskies and then connect up by forum to do the tasting live. We would select a series of whiskies that are available world wide (Cooley being one) and then do a live tasting on a preselected day.

Just remember, 7:00 pm your time on a Friday night is only 1:00 pm here in Northern Canada and 2:00 pm in Toronto. Vancouver would still be in the morning. Hey! Badmonkey, Danny and Killerwhale, Lawrence, could you dram on a Saturday morning at 12:00 and 11:00 respectively?
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue May 08, 2007 10:28 am

Might be a bit of Fun M-P .... but it all depennds on who is where and who wants to join in. Say if it was a Saturday I would have no issues starting at Midnight to give you guys some breathing space. The only problem then is if some of the Guys further east in Europe want to part take.

But yes if there are any takers or suggestions feel free to put them forward.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby IainB » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:16 pm

Hi all. Have been out of circulation for a while, work, holidays etc.
Anyway, in true Irish fashion, it is now time for a split in the Irish Whiskey Club. I suggest 2 clubs, one to he headed by Aidan, the other by Irish Whiskey Chaser.

We can have the Irish Whiskey Club (IWC) and the Whiskey Club of Ireland (WCI). Then both can canvass everyony else for members. At which point some of us will branch of and from 2 more organisations, the REAL IWC and WCI THE DRINKERS PARTY. IWC and WCI will then merge to form THE PROGRESSIVE WHISKEY DRINKERS OF IRELAND. Member not wish to join the new merged enitity will either join RIWC or WCITDP or form new organisations, DEMOCRATIC PISSHEADS or DRINKERS OF DESTINY. At which point we can clear the whole thing up by selling the right to all the clubs to Pernod Ricard who can then pretend that there's only one distillery in Ireland. (OH WAIT, DOESN'T THE PREMIUM WHISKEYS OF IRELAND CLUB ALREADY DO THAT?)
IainB
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:26 am

:lol:

Welcome back Iain
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby IainB » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:07 am

Thanks. I've been hiding out up in Louisburg (Mayo not US) for a lot of the summer and in between, believe it or not, have actually been working hard. Are you going on Ally's Islay trip this year?
IainB
Gold Member

Irish whisky club...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:05 am

Maybe as a first step, we could connect up with Matt to set up an Irish Whisky drinkers user group, along with the already set up Islay and Speyside drinkers usergroups.
This would show who was interested, after which a PM could be sent out to those specific members to set up a tasting or even a forum topic to set up a tasting.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Geographically speeaking...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:10 am

IainB wrote:Thanks. I've been hiding out up in Louisburg (Mayo not US) for a lot of the summer and in between, ...

Y'know , of course, there's a Louisbourg over here in Canada, eh?
http://www.louisbourg.ca/fort/
:P
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:29 am

Musky, I'm just back from Nova Scotia, and I'm always regretful that we don't go to Louisbourg--I've been there once, and it's an absolutely stunning place. I guess it doesn't hurt that my ancestor supposedly took part in the last siege!

There is a Louisbourg Square on Beacon Hill in Boston, named in honor of the victory against the French fortress, in which many New Englanders took part. It's a tony neighborhood--Senator Kerry has a townhouse there. They pronounce the "s" there, as do the English-speaking residents of the Nova Scotia town; only the name of the fortress itself is pronounced in the French style.
Deactivated Member

Postby IainB » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:17 am

The Louisburg in Ireland isn't a bad spot either. A couple of good pubs, my favoutite being An Bun Abhainn which actually has a half decent Whiskey / Whisky collection for a village pub. I went first to see if the had Bunabhainn - they did and maybe 15 - 20 other Scottish single malts, and a pretty good Irish collection too, including a good range of Cooleys whcih you don't see in the pubs that often. That said, this is one of the places that confirmed to me that Guinness and non Irish whisky don't go - Had a Balvenie 15yo single barrell after a pint - a whisky I normally love - I couldn't finish it!
IainB
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:25 pm

IainB wrote:Thanks. I've been hiding out up in Louisburg (Mayo not US) for a lot of the summer and in between, believe it or not, have actually been working hard. Are you going on Ally's Islay trip this year?

Yes ... can't wait

......are you going????
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby IainB » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:03 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:
IainB wrote:Thanks. I've been hiding out up in Louisburg (Mayo not US) for a lot of the summer and in between, believe it or not, have actually been working hard. Are you going on Ally's Islay trip this year?

Yes ... can't wait

......are you going????

Simple answer, yes. Was booked las year but had to cancel as second child was due at end of September. Should be good.
IainB
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder