Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Liquorice tasting whisky???

General chat and talk about whisky.

Liquorice tasting whisky???

Postby Sphinx » Fri May 04, 2007 1:12 pm

Hi all.

This may sound strange....
Im looking for a whiskt that tastes a bit of Liquorice... :shock:

Any suggestions??

Great forum btw.
Sphinx

Postby Leither » Fri May 04, 2007 1:37 pm

I find Bourbon, specifically both Elijah Craig and Buffalo Trace, to have a liquorice finish after getting some predominately leathery notes in the taste.

I'm sure there are some specific 'Scotch' with this too though which others will point you too.....
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri May 04, 2007 2:24 pm

Try a search on the forum tasting notes as I have recently posted a few tasting notes of whiskies that I felt tasted of liquorice.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Fri May 04, 2007 4:02 pm

I would go for Old Potrero. I get that taste there.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri May 04, 2007 4:34 pm

I have found that several whiskies have liquorice, fennel, anise notes in them. Most recently, I found it in the Duncan Taylor Springbank 36 1967. If I recall correctly it was also present in the Glen Garioch 30. I'll have to check the notes.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri May 04, 2007 4:59 pm

Plenty of liquorice to be found in the taste and finish of Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength. I find it in almost all smoky whiskies and think it's a result of the peating process. At one moment I couldn't stand smoky whiskies because of it. Sometimes it even feels like chewing läkerols.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Whiskybembel » Fri May 04, 2007 5:15 pm

Glenrothes Vintage 1992 or if you would like to have Liquorice Pur, than you must try The Cutty Black 100 Proof! I never had a Whisky with more Liquorice as the Cutty Black! :shock:
Whiskybembel

Postby Mustardhead » Fri May 04, 2007 11:21 pm

Loch Dhu, if you can find a bottle not being hoarded by some silly collector. I remember it having a very distinct liquorice flavour.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri May 04, 2007 11:47 pm

It's not whisky, but cheaper ports almost always have a strong liquorice taste.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sat May 05, 2007 12:08 am

Ballechin has plenty of Liquorice, but is pretty pricey. Fifty odd pounds if you can still find a bottle.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat May 05, 2007 2:30 am

The Ballechin is still available at the distillery, Edradour, and I've also seen it online at a few shops, good stuff.

I had a 14 or 15y Tamnavulin from the Connoisseurs Choice series that I remember as being quite liquorice-like, salty style.
Di Blasi

Postby karlejnar » Sat May 05, 2007 1:53 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:Plenty of liquorice to be found in the taste and finish of Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength. I find it in almost all smoky whiskies and think it's a result of the peating process. At one moment I couldn't stand smoky whiskies because of it. Sometimes it even feels like chewing läkerols.

I'll second that opinion - have found liqourice in the finish of many an Islay malt. Also found a hint of chewing tobacco (danish: "skrå", sweedish: "snus") in the finish of especially Laphroaig 10yo CS.
BTW: It's one of my favourite "everyday" cask strength peaty Islay's :P
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat May 05, 2007 5:43 pm

karlejnar wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:Plenty of liquorice to be found in the taste and finish of Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength. I find it in almost all smoky whiskies and think it's a result of the peating process. At one moment I couldn't stand smoky whiskies because of it. Sometimes it even feels like chewing läkerols.

I'll second that opinion - have found liqourice in the finish of many an Islay malt. Also found a hint of chewing tobacco (danish: "skrå", sweedish: "snus") in the finish of especially Laphroaig 10yo CS.
BTW: It's one of my favourite "everyday" cask strength peaty Islay's :P

The tobacco taste is really interesting. I have to say I'm fighting my lack of character here as this tobacco you mentioned really makes me want to open yet another bottle............ :D
The Laphroaig 10 CS is really really good :D
Mr Fjeld

Postby smsmmns » Sun May 06, 2007 12:22 am

Good replies so far.

I see you are from Denmark, so you know good saltlakris. My Norwegian girlfriend satisfies her licorice craving with Old Pulteney 12yo. Others I have found licorice in recently are an Auchentoshan from Milroys, a 1976 Highland Park and Glenlivet French Oak Finish.

Happy Hunting, and if you find anything special, let us know!

Dr. Whisky
smsmmns

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue May 08, 2007 12:18 pm

Liquorice/Aniseed

Glenrothes seems to have it in alot of their bottlings....

I found a good bit in the '89 version and also pretty apparent in '71 but are very hard to find now days.

I also had a Signature 1990 Sherry Cask bottling which had liquorice but it was ruined by Sulphur
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby RufusA » Wed May 09, 2007 9:12 am

Caol Ila always tastes a bit liquoricey to me. However I remember a youngish (7or8YO) SMWS bottling I tried in their members room last year and it was very full on liquorice with plenty of medicinal notes as well.

I read in a recent newsletter from them that Catherine Nicoll had decribed one of their Caol Ila as Fisherman's Friends (for international readers it's a cough lozenge containing Liquorice, Menthol and Eucalyptus oil), and I think that description is pretty close to what I tasted.

Now eating a Fisherman's Friend before supping your favourite heavily peated malt would be a fine thing!

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Wed May 09, 2007 9:16 am

RufusA wrote:Now eating a Fisherman's Friend before supping your favourite heavily peated malt would be a fine thing!

Rufus.

Rufus it might heighten the taste or completely muck up your taste buds. Interesting idea though.

:)
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 09, 2007 1:20 pm

Pairing whisky with cough lozenges is an exciting and entirely unexplored avenue of feinschmeckery!
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Wed May 09, 2007 1:44 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Pairing whisky with cough lozenges is an exciting and entirely unexplored avenue of feinschmeckery!

There is of couse the Victory Vee
and of course Licquorice Imps for those that like that added Licquorice in their drink.

8)
les taylor

Postby Admiral » Fri May 11, 2007 5:04 am

They're obviously a tad expensive, and you'd need to be a member, but the SMWS has bottled some old Glenfarclas casks, typically in the 36 to 38 year old range, and they have plenty of licorice in the flavour profile.

1.134 is a good example.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby mithril » Fri May 11, 2007 8:28 am

The now discontinued Bowmore Dusk (Claret Finish) has lot of black liquorice in the palate and finish.
mithril
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder