Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Isle of Jura Superstition

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Isle of Jura Superstition

Isle of Jura Superstition

Postby dapa » Fri May 04, 2007 7:57 pm

Hi!

After scavaging the forum it's seems obvious that Jura's superstition is not one of the better ones out there. But I wonder - compared to what?

The reason I ask is that I've enjoyed the regular ones from time to time. No show-stoppers but still a decent dram. Now I have the chance to buy a litre of Superstition for under 50 Euro.

Suggestions? :?:
dapa

Postby peergynt323 » Fri May 04, 2007 8:38 pm

If you like it and you can drink it, go for it. I had trouble finishing a dram.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Fri May 04, 2007 11:14 pm

I've heard good reports about Superstition. Good enough to persuade me to buy a bottle a month or so ago. Must open it soon :)
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Mon May 07, 2007 4:33 am

I don't know whether Superstition is still the same quality as it was when it first launched, but if so, it's certainly a good whisky.

I've not tasted it for a couple of years now, but when it first came out it was much better than the standard 10yo. The story going around at the time was that it was a vatting of quite young Jura with some reasonably older Jura, and the result was a very tasty whisky.

However, such bottlings are hard to maintain a consistent flavour profile. Sooner or later, the older stock they used initially runs out, or they switch to a different vintage, and the resulting bottling goes downhill. (Benromach Traditional is a great example of this happening recently).

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Re: Isle of Jura Superstition

Postby les taylor » Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 am

dapa wrote:Hi!

After scavaging the forum it's seems obvious that Jura's superstition is not one of the better ones out there. But I wonder - compared to what?

The reason I ask is that I've enjoyed the regular ones from time to time. No show-stoppers but still a decent dram. Now I have the chance to buy a litre of Superstition for under 50 Euro.

Hi Dapa I have really enjoyed Superstition. In my opinion. Buy it. :thumbsup:
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby RufusA » Tue May 08, 2007 5:23 pm

Admiral wrote:I don't know whether Superstition is still the same quality as it was when it first launched, but if so, it's certainly a good whisky.

I'll second this comment. When I first tried it (WL 2004?) it tasted very good, with a heavy peaty bite and warm richness. At the time it was one of my fav. Jura expressions. Speaking to Willie (master distiller/brand ambassador/bow tier), he stated at the time it was a smallish quantity of 3YO heavily peated Jura vatted with a mixture of older whiskies ranging from 21YO -> 10YO. He kindly let me try the 3YO on it's own, and I could see why there was a need for the vatting.

However the average age of the blend was up at the 15-16YO, and it was priced as a premium product not too far removed from the 16YO!

The price has noticeably come down, and seems to be knocking at slightly above the RRP of the 10YO. Which is unusual in this market where older whiskies seem to command a higher price!

I guess you need to form your own conclusions as to what that means, but the last dram of Superstition I tried didn't taste quite as good as I remembered it from yore!

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Re: Isle of Jura Superstition

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue May 08, 2007 7:08 pm

dapa wrote:Hi!

I enjoyed my last bottle of Jura, about 6 months ago. Add a drop of water to it and it freshens up considerably.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Wed May 09, 2007 2:34 am

I had a bottle of Superstition a while ago and remember enjoying it. Unfortunately, no notes.

I've got another one sitting on my shelf that I'll probably crack open sometime this summer.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby martin grant » Wed May 09, 2007 12:58 pm

Superstition is my favourite bottling from Jura. A litre bottle with change from 50 euros seems worth it to me. I'd buy one and sip up.

:thumbsup:
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Steve Rush » Thu May 10, 2007 7:09 pm

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Jura expressions. Superstition in my mind is a very good single malt and even more agreable that it's often one of the ones frquently on offer in the big supermarkets.

Can't remember all the details but looking forward to the next couple of expressions that are coming out soon. One I was fortunate enough sample at this years Whisky Live London and that was a big boy on the taste buds.
:dead:
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby RufusA » Fri May 11, 2007 11:16 am

Steve Rush wrote:Can't remember all the details but looking forward to the next couple of expressions that are coming out soon. One I was fortunate enough sample at this years Whisky Live London and that was a big boy on the taste buds.
:dead:

Was that the Heavily Peated one. At WL London it didn't have a proper label or name, but I wonder if it's from a similar cask style to that used for the peaty bite of superstition.

Willie was very generous in his pour, and it was a *very* long time before my taste bugs could identify floral or sweet notes in anything. I was doing Jura flavoured burps for about 3 days afterwards :coffee: !

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Related whiskies : Isle of Jura Superstition

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder