Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg Lord of The Isles

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Ardbeg Lord of the Isles

Ardbeg Lord of The Isles

Postby atoto » Sat May 05, 2007 1:52 am

Trying to get a feel (from the tons of peat-heads on this site) if you think ALOTI is "Well" worth the price of admission (about $220US)? I've tried and very much love all of the other Ardbeg lines but I'm wondering if the 25YO is a no brainer!

Please help me make this tough decision (really tough ;-))!!
atoto

Postby Di Blasi » Sat May 05, 2007 2:08 am

If you're a huge Ardbeg fan and are of course interested in it, I recommend tasting it first somewhere prior to springing for that price. Not that it isn't worth it, but it's different than what you may expect. The first time I tasted it, shortly after my whisky adventures began, and started with the Ardbeg Ten, I was left wondering, and thinking, weird. Really odd what happens to that peated smoke after so many years. Same with the 1965 Ardbeg, weird. I'd say taste it first, fall in love with it, then buy a bottle. Or if the price is not a worry, buy it!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby r900p » Sat May 05, 2007 1:16 pm

I was up at Ardbge a few weeks ago. I had no idea The Lord of the Isles is a new 'batch' every year. LFW have them for £125, £25 cheaper than other places.
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Mon May 07, 2007 4:41 am

LOTI is a great whisky, and it won't disappoint in its own right, but it's not necessarily a great Ardbeg. I think some of the Committee Bottlings, and certainly the 1977, are much better Ardbegs.

If you're going to spend that much money on an Ardbeg, you may as well get one of the better bottlings at that price point.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Mon May 07, 2007 7:16 am

I think that getting hold of Ardbeg 1977 and comittee bottlings can be difficult compared to getting hold of Loti but then again it`s great fun chasing down rare whiskies. :)
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby les taylor » Mon May 07, 2007 9:06 am

Lord of the Isles is not only a very good whisky. But the packaging is awesome. You just feel you are buying a little piece of history with it.

:)
les taylor

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon May 07, 2007 9:49 pm

r900p wrote:I had no idea The Lord of the Isles is a new 'batch' every year.

I don't think that is quite right , the last batch (which is the lot RMW is selling- according to a friend who's purchased one ) was batch L5 , which going off bottling code history was 2005 and i'm pretty sure there have only been 3 batches (4 at a push)since it's introduction in 2001 .
But i'll be keen to know if someone has proof that there has been 1 new batch per year......
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon May 07, 2007 10:41 pm

my LOTI has an L4 code
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby atoto » Tue May 08, 2007 2:36 am

I must thank you all for the great replies :D I'm taking the stance in that it's only money (and most would likely go towards paying some boring bills) so I've convinced myself that I must enjoy it's "real value" for once!

It's really tough finding a committee bottling so I will be splurging for a bottle of LOTI. I gaurentee you that this bottle will not be one for use on a special occassion - it's fruits will be enjoyed immediately!
atoto

Postby les taylor » Tue May 08, 2007 10:08 am

My bottle has the figure 1 on it's own in the dimple under the bottle does that mean its a lot 1. The figure one is all on it's own it does not have an L or anything with it.

My other question is there a varying value with the different Lots please?

:)
les taylor

Postby Di Blasi » Tue May 08, 2007 1:59 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:
r900p wrote:I had no idea The Lord of the Isles is a new 'batch' every year.

I don't think that is quite right , the last batch (which is the lot RMW is selling- according to a friend who's purchased one ) was batch L5 , which going off bottling code history was 2005 and i'm pretty sure there have only been 3 batches (4 at a push)since it's introduction in 2001 .
But i'll be keen to know if someone has proof that there has been 1 new batch per year......

I agree, this is not a yearly thing, as we got it in Norway, then some years later, more arrived, and then again more than a year later it arrived again, so I'm thinking we were just getting our alotment. Ardbeg probably would have noted it if it was a yearly bottling, especially for something so special. I'll have to check my lot number too, but I think it's probably L4
Di Blasi

Related whiskies : Ardbeg Lord of the Isles

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder