Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Question about Laphroaig 10

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Question about Laphroaig 10

Postby Les Paul » Mon May 07, 2007 4:11 am

Hi friends:

I have a question about Laphroaig 10. I have had this bottle for maybe 6 months or so. It tastes unlike any whisky I've ever had. What gives this whisky its heavy medicinal, iodine flavors?

I enjoy it and I am curious to taste other Laphroaig offerings.
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby peergynt323 » Mon May 07, 2007 4:30 am

As far as I know, it's a mystery, but it has a lot to do with the peat and the fermentation and aging process. The phenols from the peat break down into other phenols. Some notable phenols are antispetics such as listerine, aspirin, and anesthetics. Laphroaig has a particularly medicinal taste.

If you like the 10yo, I recommend the 10yo cask strength and the 15yo when you're looking for a smooth, fruity laphroaig.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Les Paul » Mon May 07, 2007 4:51 am

Thanks for your input, peergynt323. BTW, I'm seeing Steely Dan in concert this summer in Toledo, Ohio. "Deacon Blues" is my all time favorite of theirs. :D
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby peergynt323 » Mon May 07, 2007 5:12 pm

Awesome. My dad says that they are very good in concert, so I'm sure you will enjoy it. As far as consistency and breadth, I'd say they're up there with the Beatles and the Doors. I enjoy all of their albums. Donald Fagen's Nightfly album is also quite an achievement. He went pure jazz-pop-lounge music with almost no rock and roll influence.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon May 07, 2007 9:55 pm

Laphroaig's wherehouse is against the ocean. During our visit to the distillery, staff indicated that the waves from winter storms beat against the wall to the wherehouse and thus influence the flavor. Iodine is a component in sea water.
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder