Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Angel's Share of a small cask

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Angel's Share of a small cask

Postby Mike Ralston » Mon May 07, 2007 8:20 pm

Does anyone have any info regarding expected evaporation rates from small casks?

Seven and a half years ago I bought a small cask (first-fill sherry) from Springbank. The cask held 54 litres of new-make spirit.

I tested my first sample a couple of months ago, and as expected, the sherry had really taken hold of the spirit, which was now amber-red in hue - and delicious!

After analysing a dram or two with my local expert, Mark Davidson of Edinburgh Cadenheads, I decided to bottle the entire contents (at a cask strength of 51.7%ABV) immediately - any more sherry influence would have massively overpowered the malt.

I'm lucky I did; I was hoping to get about 65 70cl bottles, but the cask only delivered 52. This works out at c.37 litres of spirit - a big drop from the original contents.

This seems to equate to an angel's share of about 5% a year instead of the expected 2%.

I knew that such a small cask would give me faster aging of the spirit because of the increased contact with the wood. I had not expected the higher evaporation rate - perhaps I should have.

Has anyone else had any experience of this? Is this huge angel's share typical for small cask sizes?

regards and raised glasses to all...
Mike R.
Mike Ralston

Postby peergynt323 » Mon May 07, 2007 8:40 pm

With a higher surface area to whisky ratio, you should theoretically expect faster ageing and a greater angel's share.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon May 07, 2007 8:40 pm

Hi Mike ,
thats some loss over 7 1/2 years , yes they do loose more than the normal casks (surface area to Volume ratios i think) but my blood tub lost just under 5 litres from 32 litres in 4 1/2 years . I 'd calculated 41 bottles and got 39 bottles .

Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon May 07, 2007 10:44 pm

could have been worse, i know of a firkin or whatever its called that was 1960's jura and was sold to a japanese guy for a fair bit, it was like tar.....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue May 08, 2007 9:20 am

Hi there,

it depends on where the cask was stored. In a dry warm place a barrel loses more than in a damper and moister place, which is just logical I suppose.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder