Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bushmills 16

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Bushmills 16 Years Old

Bushmills 16

Postby ScotchPalate » Wed May 09, 2007 5:18 am

Thoughts or opinions on this one? I'm intrigued by the triple wood, Bourbon Barrel, Sherry Butt, and Port Pipe. Smooth? Creamy?
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby kallaskander » Wed May 09, 2007 8:42 am

Hi there,

maybe but is this something for a Scotch palate? :mrgreen:
Seriously it is a typical Irish whiskey with its character masked by the three woods. It is smooth malty oily and sherried and everything most Irish whiskies are.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Wed May 09, 2007 11:41 am

It is quite a nice whiskey. Nice texture, but not my favourite Irish. It does very well in blind tastings when the tasters are not informed it's Bushmills or Irish.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Thu May 10, 2007 1:01 am

No doubt, I'm partial to a fine SM Scotch. However, I've really enjoyed learning about and tasting all whiskies. I like some Bourbons, Ryes and Irish Whiskies, too.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby shoganai » Thu May 10, 2007 3:05 am

I've never had Bushmill's 16, but a little while ago I picked up a three pack of minis that included 50mls of "Bushmills Irish Whisky", "Black Bush", and "Bushmills 10".

I really liked Black Bush & the 10, the other was just OK.
shoganai
Silver Member

Re: Bushmills 16

Postby KenBeau » Thu May 10, 2007 5:22 am

ScotchPalate wrote:Thoughts or opinions on this one? I'm intrigued by the triple wood, Bourbon Barrel, Sherry Butt, and Port Pipe. Smooth? Creamy?

I was introduced to the 16YO Bushmills 7 years ago (it's been that long? Sheeesh!) at my first attending of the Whisky Expo in San Francisco.

Tasty stuff...but the REAL kicker was a tease done by David Quinn (Bushmill Master Blender at the time) with a tasting of an 18yo Bushmills, somewhat similar to the 16YO, but SO much better. There was a hint that it might be released for Bushmill's 400th anniversary, which I believe is next year.

Anyhoo, I like it, although given the choice between it and say, Redbreast 12 YO Pot Still Irish whisky, I'll go with the latter.
KenBeau

Postby Frodo » Thu May 10, 2007 12:59 pm

I'm not a big fan of the Bushmills 16yr old - rather candied for my taste. If you want good Bushmills I'd go for the latest in the Knappogue Castle range or one of the Single Cask OB bottlings to get the distillery character.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu May 10, 2007 1:11 pm

Or if you can get your hands on the Millenium 24 yr old.

I have not tasted the 21 yr old in a long time, but it has its fans too. I think Nick is one.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby KenBeau » Thu May 10, 2007 11:56 pm

Frodo wrote:I'm not a big fan of the Bushmills 16yr old - rather candied for my taste. If you want good Bushmills I'd go for the latest in the Knappogue Castle range or one of the Single Cask OB bottlings to get the distillery character.

MmmmmmmmmmmKnappogue Castle...that's one of my "Must Haves" in my meager stocks of whiskies :thumbsup:
KenBeau

Postby Admiral » Fri May 11, 2007 4:46 am

The 16yo is nice at first, but it's not a dram I can spend a lot of time with. By the time I get to the end of my glass, I seem to want to re-fill it with something else, rather than re-pour another Bushmills.

I think it has something to do with the sweetness, which doesn't want to integrate with the spirit. It's almost like the casks have slapped on a thin coat of paint (the sweetness), but it didn't soak into the surface and become one with it.

(Pretty lame analogy, but I hope you get my point).

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Related whiskies : Bushmills 16 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder