Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The shelf life for an open bottle of whisky

All your whisky related questions answered here.

The shelf life for an open bottle of whisky

Postby paulg » Fri May 11, 2007 11:34 am

For years I enjoyed J&B until friends turned me on to single malt whisky. There is no going back. I have particularly enjoyed the peaty selection from Islay (Arbeg, Laphroig, Caol Ila) but I enjoy experimenting. I was set on purchasing a bottle of Kentucky bourbon. Meanwhile I found old open bottles of Old Grand Dad and Old Forrester that were apparently part of my grandfathers selection. He passed away over 30 years ago, so these bottles have been sitting around open for at least that amount of time. My question is this: does open bottle whisky go bad? does an open bottle change its nature over long periods of time? are my old bottles of whisky drinkable or heading for the drain.

Paul
paulg

Postby Matt2 » Fri May 11, 2007 2:34 pm

Hi Paulg,

You may want to take a look at the FAQ topic, been discussed in quite a lot of detail here....

Frequently Asked Questions

Scroll down the page the section titled Lifetime of opened bottles / Whisky & storage:

:thumbsup:
Matt2

Postby paulg » Fri May 11, 2007 2:46 pm

Thanks Matt, this is very helpful.

Paul
paulg

Postby les taylor » Fri May 11, 2007 2:54 pm

Matt Page wrote:Hi Paulg,

You may want to take a look at the FAQ topic, been discussed in quite a lot of detail here....

Frequently Asked Questions

Scroll down the page the section titled Lifetime of opened bottles / Whisky & storage:

Hey Matt thats cool no gold member for you but instead Guardian of the Glenlivet. You deserve an honorary title.

les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat May 12, 2007 4:52 am

I think it unlikely they will have gone bad in the sense that a jug of milk goes bad. They will certainly have changed, however, and whether or not they are drinkable will probably depend on how well they were sealed, and how much air was in the bottle. We can't tell you if they are any good, but you can tell us.
Deactivated Member

Postby paulg » Sat May 12, 2007 7:13 pm

I have never tried Old Grand Dad in the past, nor am I a Bourbon drinker, so I don't have much of a reference. In any case I tried it with a friend and the first and lasting impression was that of an acidic taste. It's drinkable, but it seems long past it's time. In comparision to tasting notes that I have found for this bottle, it has only limited similarily to the expected "flavors of dark candy corn, non-tannic wood, and some light smoke, with a gingerbread-like backdrop" described in another forum.

I think I deserve a fresh bottle.
paulg

Nick name for Matt...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun May 13, 2007 12:11 am

les taylor wrote: Hey Matt thats cool no gold member for you but instead Guardian of the Glenlivet. You deserve an honorary title. :thumbsup:

Hmmmm, how about "Lord of the Isle-eyes?" :D
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder