Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Recommend a distillery visit nearish Tain?

General chat and talk about whisky.

Recommend a distillery visit nearish Tain?

Postby RufusA » Mon May 14, 2007 2:48 pm

A friend of mine is staying for a week a few miles from Tain, and is thinking of taking in a few distilleries if he can.

Seeing as the forumites have probably done most any recommendations?

Glenmorangie is an obvious choice.
Balblair is in the area also - but I don't think they normally allow visitors - except by special arrangement?
And as a guardian he might try and nip down to The Glenlivet, assuming he's remembered his key!

Dalmore and Glen Ord aren't too far away and both have visitor centres, but are they any good?

What others are worth a shout - Balvenie got a glowing write-up from Mr T, so he might be able to tag that on to a visit to The Glenlivet if his liver can stand the hospitality!

If it's any help he's done a few WLs now so is probably looking for something a little more than a ye olde wee history video and look at the shiny stills before sampling the 10YO in a bar come visitors shop.

TIA - Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 14, 2007 3:15 pm

If he's going to nip down to Speyside, he'll have lots of choices. Aberlour springs to mind, if for no other reason than to have a chance to fill his own bottle in the shop. The one I got, from a bourbon barrel, is splendid (and almost empty). If he visits either Aberlour or Balvenie, he'll want a designated driver. As long as he's in the neighborhood, he may want to visit the Gordon & MacPhail shop in Elgin, and maybe Parker's in Banff--I haven't been to the latter, but it's gotten good comment here, and I'm looking forward to visiting myself.

If he can squeeze in a visit to the Anderson in Fortrose, he'll be well rewarded with a huge selection of whiskies and beers.

In the other direction, there's Clynelish. I haven't taken the tour there--the Diageo tours I have taken have been fine but unexceptional. Maybe someone else can comment on Clynelish in particular.
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon May 14, 2007 3:21 pm

balbalir is great, you get a brilliant tour there. just give then an email or a call and they'll fit you in.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 14, 2007 3:22 pm

Clynelish offered a pretty poor tour. There's the mash tun. There are the washbacks. There are the stills. There is the spirit safe. Here's a warehouse. Here's a glass of whisky. Do come again.

Aberlour would be good because they offer 6 good sized drams including new make and the two that you can bottle yourself - hence not available anywhere else. And they make great whisky, and Deborah is a great guide. Balvenie, also, is great and goes into far more depth.

Could your pal go to Pulteney and thence on to Highland Park? Pulteney does bottle your own and HP apparently does a great tour including maltings.
Deactivated Member

Postby Wave » Mon May 14, 2007 4:35 pm

I've been to the Clynslish distillery several years ago, it wasn't a great tour but it wasn't bad. I do remember them saying something about cleaning up the old Brora stillroom to use as a museum, don't know what ever became of that(?).

I also have to agree with the Aberlour tour, it's easily the best tour in Speyside, I've been to it twice. 1st time I got the Sherry casked fill-your-own and had to go back a couple of years later and get the Bourbon casked.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder