Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Newbie Bourbon Enthusiast

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Newbie Bourbon Enthusiast

Postby indycarrie » Wed May 16, 2007 5:00 pm

Hello all,

My husband and I went to the Bourbon Festival in KY three years ago and I have enjoyed bourbon ever since then. I am quite the novice about whiskey, but I enjoy learning about it. I have tried a few scotch varieties, but find that I really enjoy the Kentucky bourbons. My favorite (so far) is Evan Williams, but I drink a lot of Maker's Mark when I am out.

I would really like to know if anyone knows of any whiskey tastings in or around the Indiana/Midwest area. I would like to be schooled on the nuances of whiskey by someone who knows their stuff and try different samplings. I am not sure what the best way is to get educated on the different brands.

We have gone to the Black Tie Gala in Bardstown two times so far and I thoroughly enjoy tasting all of the bourbons and seeing their products. However, you have to buy the dress, the tux, etc, and I would rather have an opportunity to bypass all the fluff and really get into heart of the matter, so to speak.

Any advice for a newbie just starting to take a real interest in whiskey? Anyone been to a good tasting event in the Midwest?

Thanks in advance!!
indycarrie

Postby Jan » Wed May 16, 2007 8:28 pm

Hello Indycarrie

Welcome to the forums :D

A good way to taste a lot of different bottlings, would be to locate an wellstocked bar, where you can try by the glass, rather than the relatively expensive by the bottle option.

You could also find some likeminded souls and start swapping samples or buying bottles together.

I take it that you are mostly into bourbon / American whiskey? If so, you should really visit http://www.straightbourbon.com, where you'll find a dedicated bourbon forum.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby BourbonDrinker » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:14 pm

Glad to hear there are some more Bourbon Enthusiasts out there. I am completely nuts for the stuff!

I too am learning about Bourbon and enjoy each new bottle more and more! Since you posted this in may, have you found any more pours that you enjoy?
BourbonDrinker

Postby JWFokker » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:37 pm

If you enjoy Evan Williams, give Elijah Craig and Knob Creek a shot. They're both pretty similar, though I'd say Elijah Craig is better balanced than Evan Williams. You should definitely try Evan Williams Single Barrel, as it's even better than the standard blend.
JWFokker

Postby Quaichuser » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:29 am

Welcome Indycarrie
While I'm not heavily into bourbon I am rather fond of the Woodford Reserve. It's one of the few premium bourbons available around here. A friend suggested Elmer T Lee as well but I have been unable to find it up here.
Cheers and happy posting :)
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Les Paul » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:38 am

I think Woodford Reserve is an *exceptional* bourbon. I also really like Makers Mark. Blanton's Single Barrell is delicious as well.
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby bond » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:13 am

Makers Mark has my vote too. In fact, have just laid my hands on a bottle today.
bond
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:47 am

bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Cam » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:03 pm

I prefer Elijah Craig 12yo of the Bourbons I've tried, though it is another whisky that I need to leave my home Province to find.

Cam
Cam

Postby BourbonDrinker » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:02 pm

Elijah Craig 12-Year Old is an excellent choice. I second the recommendation of the Evan William's Single Barrel bourbons (any year). Also, if you can find it, you may consider Baker's or Booker's from the Jim Beam small batch collection. Also in the JB small batch collection you may consider Basil Hayden or Knob Creek (although I think Knob Creek is the lesser of the four).

For an inexpensive bottle, i've enjoyed Old Forester extensively.

I've also recently been enjoying Wild Turkey brands---WT Russell's Reserve 101 (loads better than the newer RR 90-proof), WT 101, and WT Rare Breen---all good pours---with the Russell's 101 being the star of the bunch.

My all time favorite is, hands down, George T. Stagg, but some poeple don't have the fortitude to enjoy this bourbon whiskey
BourbonDrinker

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder