Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Sean Michael's Macallan

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Sean Michael's Macallan

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Sat May 19, 2007 10:39 pm

I just got back from Florida and I noticed you can get an 18 year old Sean Michael's Macallan for a really cheap price. Has anyone tried this?
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Yellowjacket » Sun May 20, 2007 2:45 am

Virginia Gentleman,
Spec's Liquor here in Houston carries Sean Michael's Macallan, a 12 yo, 16 yo, and 18 yo. The only tasting I've done is in Spec's where you get a sample in a little plastic cup and this was a 16 yo not the 18 yo, so take this for what it's worth. What I remember is that it was not bad but not really great, either (it did not impress me enough to want to buy one). The really noticeable feature of this Macallan was that it significantly lacked the sherry flavor which typically characterizes a Macallan (even more so than a FO). I do recall a hint of vanilla, I assume from some bourbon cask aging (the young lady serving the samples didn't have a clue about such details). It was a nice smooth, mellow dram, but not much depth or complexity. If you're interested in a Macallan without the strong sherry influence, you might give it a try.

As a price comparison, Spec's sells the 18 yo for $117, with a Spec's membership discount of $25.

Regards -- Yellowjacket
Yellowjacket
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun May 20, 2007 3:13 am

Sorry, but who's Sean Michael? Any relationship to Michael Collins???
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Yellowjacket » Sun May 20, 2007 4:25 am

Di Blasi wrote:Sorry, but who's Sean Michael? Any relationship to Michael Collins???

I don't have a clue who Sean Michael is. It's some sort of independent bottling done for certain liquor stores (Spec's folks told me only for Spec's in Texas, but apparently not). I've only seen the S.M. Macallan, but I'm told there have been other limited bottlings also.
Yellowjacket
Bronze Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Sun May 20, 2007 5:10 am

I found this on Wikipedia. The Macallan distillery also produces a brand of single malt scotch under the Sean Michael's label. In Florida the 18 year old was only $69. I might have to try it for that price the next time I am in Florida.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macallan
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder