Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Duty-Free Whiskey in NY State

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Duty-Free Whiskey in NY State

Postby Direwolf » Sun May 20, 2007 9:04 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know which single malts are available at Duty Free Shops in NY State and Canada? The shops are known as Duty Free America, but when I visited their site, they had a list which led me to believe they are out of date.

A buddy of mine is driving up to Montreal and was curious to know if they are worth a stop.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Direwolf
Direwolf

Postby Quaichuser » Sun May 20, 2007 10:48 pm

There is no sure way of knowing what they have in stock as far as I know. I cross from Canada to the US periodically and the best thing I find is to check both ways. I cross at Buffalo so I go into the shop on the Canadian side in Fort Erie, They ususally have a better selection than the US side coming back.
A couple of months back I thought I was finally going to get a Laphroig QC as it was showing on the website for the US side. We don't get it here in Ontario. No such luck, no stock. I ended up with a Talisker 10 at a bargain price though. :lol:
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby l'chaim » Mon May 21, 2007 12:59 am

I don’t have much experience with the Duty Free going into Canada, but I often stop at one coming into NY from Prescott, Ontario. At that store they have all the usual suspects, but nothing out of the ordinary. A full range of Glenmorangie, Balvenie, Johnnie Walker, etc., along with a few Glenfiddichs and Glenlivets, and some others. I think I pay about $53 Canadian for a litre of Talisker 10, which would be about $48 US. There was a time when the exchange rate was better, so at say 30%, that same bottle would cost like $38 US. Those were the days!
l'chaim

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 21, 2007 4:41 am

I rarely use that crossing, and almost never stop at duty-frees headed north. If your friend buys a bottle headed into Canada and then brings it back into the US, he is supposed to declare it and pay tax on it.

The duty-frees coming out of Quebec don't have a huge selection, and mostly run-of-the-mill stuff, but sometimes there's something interesting. Glenmorangie Cellar 13 is one I've seen lately. And keep an eye out for a Highland Park box, 3 x 333ml, 12/18/25. Doubt there's any left anywhere, but if there is, grab it--at $60, it's an incredible bargain, as the 25, prorated from a full bottle, ought to be $100 by itself.
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder