Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cutty Sark

General chat and talk about whisky.
Related whiskies : Cutty Sark

Cutty Sark

Postby l'chaim » Tue May 22, 2007 4:06 am

I don’t have any Cutty Sark on hand, but I lift a dram of Ardbeg to her.
‘"Weel done, Cutty-sark!"
And in an instant all was dark:’

l'chaim

Postby les taylor » Tue May 22, 2007 8:02 am

It's a real shame. However over 50% of the material of the boat was removed at the time because of restoration work. So they are hoping to be able to save her. A website has opened today for anybody who wants to make a donation.

Interestingly the GMTV weather girl was reporting from Irvine where there is a passenger clipper beached on the waterside slowly rotting away. It's funny what is saved and what is allowed to decay.

:(
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue May 22, 2007 8:12 am

Evidently it's called the City of Adelaide and was used to carry passengers to the new world. It was then used as a clubhouse, before it sank. It was salvaged from the water and now sits on the riverbank. Looking forlorn and sad. It and the Cutty Sark are the only remaining clippers still in existence.

:(
les taylor

Postby bond » Tue May 22, 2007 8:42 am

Cutty Sark whisky though sells largely in the U.S. (along with J & B) Seems americans like bourbons but only light coloured scotch :o

In the days of prohibition, it was apparently the favourite tipple of the then legendary bootlegger Mc Coy and hence, references to the "real" Mc Coy were probably references to Cutty Sark.
bond
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Tue May 22, 2007 9:29 am

bond wrote:In the days of prohibition, it was apparently the favourite tipple of the then legendary bootlegger Mc Coy and hence, references to the "real" Mc Coy were probably references to Cutty Sark.

Every day is a school day around here. Something new to be learned all the time!
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue May 22, 2007 10:18 am

What confuses me is why there is a whisky named after a Clipper originally used to transport Tea ????? :?

Any more information to be shed from learned forum members .....
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby martin grant » Tue May 22, 2007 10:37 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:What confuses me is why there is a whisky named after a Clipper originally used to transport Tea ????? :?

Any more information to be shed from learned forum members .....

It seems to be a name chosen by a Scottish artist by the name of James McBey.

http://www.cutty-sark.com/origins.htm
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby l'chaim » Tue May 22, 2007 11:40 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:What confuses me is why there is a whisky named after a Clipper originally used to transport Tea ????? :?

A whisky named after a ship named after a witch named after an undergarment! :lol:
l'chaim

Postby Matt2 » Tue May 22, 2007 11:51 am

:shock: Do you think they will have a special 'smokey' bottling soon....

Matt2

Postby les taylor » Tue May 22, 2007 12:05 pm

Matt that's terrible you are right I bet it smells down at Greenwich. Which reminds me, Smokehead have already done it.

:)
les taylor

Postby kallaskander » Tue May 22, 2007 3:03 pm

Hi there,

this edition will taste of burning tarred rope. Beats peat I bet.

The name was chosen because she was the fastest bigship of her time and the new Cutty Sark whisky was a typical light blend of prohibition and post prohibition times. So the proprietors liked to play with the image of a rum running ship even if she never played a part in the creative provision business for the US between 1919 and 1933 :wink:
The name Old smuggler was taken anyway.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue May 22, 2007 8:52 pm

Matt Page wrote::shock: Do you think they will have a special 'smokey' bottling soon....

Sad to hear. But if they're smart, they'll capitalize on it and do some special bottlings!! Cutty Sark Super Smoke, Cutty Sark On Fire, and Cutty Sark Restored! Good luck!
Di Blasi

Postby Jan » Tue May 22, 2007 9:07 pm

Di Blasi wrote:
Matt Page wrote::shock: Do you think they will have a special 'smokey' bottling soon....

Sad to hear. But if they're smart, they'll capitalize on it and do some special bottlings!! Cutty Sark Super Smoke, Cutty Sark On Fire, and Cutty Sark Restored! Good luck!

Actually, if they are really, really smart, they would make a special release and donate the profits towards a restoration.

That would be priceless publicity and marketing wise.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby l'chaim » Wed May 23, 2007 2:29 am

bond wrote:In the days of prohibition, it was apparently the favourite tipple of the then legendary bootlegger Mc Coy and hence, references to the "real" Mc Coy were probably references to Cutty Sark.

There are a few theories concerning this term. In the latest Malt Maniacs (#103), Konstantin Grigoriadis puts forth this theory, also dealing with Cutty Sark:

“Berry Bros, a highly respectable firm of London wine and whisky merchants then launched a new brand of Scotch, the first of the 'light' whiskies, exclusively for export, the Cutty Sark. For the booming Bahamas market, which was the back door into Prohibition America, Francis Berry saw advantages in working with Captain McCoy, whose reputation for dealing only with genuine goods had led to the idiom: 'It's the real McCoy'.”
l'chaim

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 23, 2007 5:19 am

Jan wrote:Actually, if they are really, really smart, they would make a special release and donate the profits towards a restoration.

That would be priceless publicity and marketing wise.

That's a brilliant idea. I think I would actually buy a bottle.
Deactivated Member

Related whiskies : Cutty Sark

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder