Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

KILCHOMAN "NEW MAKE SPIRIT"

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

KILCHOMAN "NEW MAKE SPIRIT"

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 22, 2007 5:53 pm

Just acquired some miniatures. Expected crystal clear liquid and a rather naughty 63.5% ABV. Anyone tasted it yet? I imagine that it'll be as rough as a King's Cross tart. But that how they drank their whisky in the old days.
Deactivated Member

Postby martin grant » Tue May 22, 2007 5:58 pm

Hi eelbrook. I tried the Kilchoman new make a wee while back myself, and was really surprised. Was without a doubt some of the best new make I've ever tasted. There's a few people here have tried it now, and I'm sure you can find some more tasting notes in the 'what I drank last night' thread.

Hope you enjoy your samples.
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 23, 2007 1:16 am

I haven't tried this, but it was available at Limburg and many people were commenting on how good it is.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed May 23, 2007 2:23 am

I have two samples, one distilled Dec '05 is from a fresh bourbon cask, I expect it's about 6 months old, pale yellow with an amazing amount of flavour that simply goes wild went water is added;oily vicious stuff, huge smoke and tar etcetera, it was so good we bought a cask!

The other is the little blue tube from LFW but I've not opened it yet.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby TheLaddie » Thu May 24, 2007 1:19 am

I have the little blue tube open (distilled Dec 06) It is wonderful stuff even with no age behind it. Malty and rough sure, but the potential is amazing. Peaty, oily, huge mouthfeel. This will push Ardbeg and Laphroaig all the way. If you have a few what are you waiting for?
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby parvus » Thu May 24, 2007 3:17 am

I found it got a bit fatiguing on the palate after the first sip, and it went quite foul with water (horrible notes of petrol, soap and diesel), but those are all things that time in the cask will sort out. Aside from that, amazing stuff really, I can't wait to try it when its older.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby kildalton » Thu May 24, 2007 8:14 am

Lawrence wrote:I have two samples, one distilled Dec '05 is from a fresh bourbon cask, I expect it's about 6 months old, pale yellow with an amazing amount of flavour that simply goes wild went water is added;oily vicious stuff, huge smoke and tar etcetera, it was so good we bought a cask!

The other is the little blue tube from LFW but I've not opened it yet.

Lawrence

And in case You decide to sell a couple of bottles please Lawrence let me Know when it'll be ready,
I would be very interested in buying one or 2.

Thanks
kildalton
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu May 24, 2007 8:07 pm

It's available from the Distillery itself. Also, from Royal Mile Whiskies. I don't know whether either ships to Italy.
Deactivated Member

Postby r900p » Thu May 24, 2007 8:25 pm

Mine have no distillation date on either of them, but each are completely clear, smokey if i remember when trying. Got them direct from distillery before rmw, lfw had them. Can't remember how i found out about them so soon.
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Thu May 24, 2007 9:25 pm

I got my Blue Tubes from RMW and I must say that I liked it a lot. Heavy on the peat, but very sweet from the malt. 12-20 years and it should be a contender.

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby recordmeister » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:08 pm

I tried this at Kilchoman when I was in Islay about 6 weeks ago now. Loved it. It is akin to a peaty vodka. Very strong. Very overwhelming but it an adolescent, good way. Like a naughty child! The lady at Kilchoman was a little tired of the their popularity as she said they have to fill and number each one by hand and it was a tough job!! Well worth getting some if you have never had New Make Spirit before.

The only other place that gave us a taste of new make was Bruichladdich. It seemed a lot more peaty than the 'Laddy new make (which was a quick swig on the tour).

It is brilliant the Kilchoman has produced these; understandably as it is not 3 years old it can not be called Whisky, but in the same way one should drink Bourbon to understand how a good whisky matures, one should also try Spirit to see what it is like before the flavour of the cask is infused into the nectar.
recordmeister
Bronze Member

Postby Scotchio » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:00 pm

lFW ARE DOING THE MINIS AS A SPECIAL OFFER AT £4 A POP IF ANYONES INTERESTED. Why do my kids always leave caps lock on :evil:
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:29 am

To keep you from opening your whisky? ...Oh, you mean the keyboard....
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:17 am

I tasted Kilchoman a couple of weekends ago and was a little perplex about how good it was. My first new make - thanks Jonathan :D
Mr Fjeld

Postby Dangerous_Dave » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:51 pm

Hi there, new here. I was in Islay this month and had the opportunity to try the Kilchoman new-make (Jan 07), bought as two miniatures from the distillery. It was clearly too young - nicely oily, but fierce on the palate - but the nose was promising, with peat, tar, petrol and brazil nuts(?). The fully matured product might be quite close to Laphroaig, one to keep an eye on.

My wife hated it!

Dave
Dangerous_Dave

Postby les taylor » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:10 pm

Welcome to the forums Dave. If in future you know that Mrs Dave won't like it. My advice is don't let her have any. It's such a waste.

:)
les taylor

Postby Dangerous_Dave » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:33 pm

les taylor wrote:Welcome to the forums Dave. If in future you know that Mrs Dave won't like it. My advice is don't let her have any. It's such a waste.

Thanks Les. It's quite nice having a wife who enjoys a dram, because it means I get to go on to whisky regions for my holidays and don't get scolded when I spend £100 on a bottle, but it does mean she has developed a taste for stuff I would rather drink myself, like the 17 year old Feis Ile Laphroaig I bought last week!
Dangerous_Dave

Postby les taylor » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:36 pm

Dangerous_Dave wrote:
les taylor wrote:Welcome to the forums Dave. If in future you know that Mrs Dave won't like it. My advice is don't let her have any. It's such a waste.

Thanks Les. It's quite nice having a wife who enjoys a dram, because it means I get to go on to whisky regions for my holidays and don't get scolded when I spend £100 on a bottle, but it does mean she has developed a taste for stuff I would rather drink myself, like the 17 year old Feis Ile Laphroaig I bought last week!

Dave that all sounds good. Mrs Les likes to share my good stuff as well. It's a price worth paying to explore and enjoy your passion.

les taylor

Postby r900p » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:46 pm

Ha thankfully, my girlfriend is now drinking less whisky, my gran has introduced her to port and lemonade, its all she's drinking now, hope it isn't a phase.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:02 pm

r900p wrote:Ha thankfully, my girlfriend is now drinking less whisky, my gran has introduced her to port and lemonade, its all she's drinking now, hope it isn't a phase.

Rob

Rob be careful she'll be going to Bingo next and will want you to come along as well. That's a slippery slope.

Try and tempt her back from the dark side with something a bit special.

les taylor

Postby martin grant » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:41 pm

r900p wrote:Ha thankfully, my girlfriend is now drinking less whisky, my gran has introduced her to port and lemonade, its all she's drinking now, hope it isn't a phase.

Rob

Or a 'cheeky vimto' as it's known up here
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:55 pm

Finally tried the 'new make spirit' last night. It was truly disgusting. Literally made me want to retch. I can't begin to describe the taste - words fail me. Unsurprisingly, the nose and finish were 'wall to wall' spoky peat.
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:37 pm

Just picked up a mini at The Islay Whisky Shop on Friday .
Distilled 17/1/2007
Bottled 3/5/2007

I tried the new make at the distillery a while back and i was most surprised by how good it was , normally the new make is unpleasant . Will be interesting to see how this compares with what i remember the sample given to me by Paula was like .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:42 pm

I was given mine by Jonathan (thanks) and I was also surprised by how good it was! It's my first new make and I was very sceptic, but no need for that obviously. It's going to be very interesting to see how the whisky matures. Do they plan to start selling at the tender age of 3 year old ?
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:38 pm

Intriguing at how individual tastes differ. I'd rather drink white spirit from Homebase than another dram of this. But I guess that leaves all the more for you enthusiasts.
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:27 am

I opened the aforementioned Mini and it wasn't as good as how i remember the last sample tho i think that one was a tad older than the mini......
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:32 pm

eelbrook wrote:Intriguing at how individual tastes differ. I'd rather drink white spirit from Homebase than another dram of this. But I guess that leaves all the more for you enthusiasts.

New make is an acquired taste. I think peaty new make tends to be nicer than non peaty because the peatiness balances (masks?) the vegetably feintiness of the spirit.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:19 pm

And I think the opposite; peaty new make tends to be very harsh, but I've had some very lovely fruity/flowery unpeated stuff. So there you go.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:48 am

I've ordered some for an office whisky tasting evening. Can't wait to see their faces when they try this little beauty :lol:
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder