Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Vancouver BC

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Vancouver BC

Postby whiskydreams » Fri May 25, 2007 3:45 am

Im thinking about going to canada in about a month or so and I was just wondering about the prices of whisky there and if there are any restrictions for bringing it back to the states. I have been looking around online but i havent really seen that much information. thanks
whiskydreams

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri May 25, 2007 3:59 am

US customs regulations allow you to bring back one litre of spirits duty-free, once you have spent 48 hours in Canada. You can actually bring back as much as you want, as long as you are prepared to pay duty, which I believe is 3% of the value. Usually the customs officers simply don't want to bother with this, and wave you through, as long as they think you are being straightforward.

Lawrence and Dave can answer better than I, but my understanding is that selection and price in BC are not too good. Alberta is the mecca for cheap whisky and wide choice in Canada. Still, you may be able to find some odd bottling that you can't get at home. And the duty-free shops at the major border crossings will likely have some oddball stuff at reasonable prices.
Deactivated Member

Postby killerwhale » Fri May 25, 2007 4:28 am

Mr.T is correct, the selection/price is not that good though maybe hit the duty free store and chat with Lawrence re: the Strath store in Victoria.
here is the link for the BC gov't web site:
http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en/products?keyword=Product+Name+or+Code&gKey=1&mKey=1&category=All&cKey=All&pp=200&pr=Any&bc_region=Any&by=name&asc=1&pg=1
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby mithril » Fri May 25, 2007 8:20 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:US customs regulations allow you to bring back one litre of spirits duty-free, once you have spent 48 hours in Canada. You can actually bring back as much as you want, as long as you are prepared to pay duty, which I believe is 3% of the value. Usually the customs officers simply don't want to bother with this, and wave you through, as long as they think you are being straightforward.

You wouldn't happen to know the duty going the other way (US -> Canada) would you?
mithril
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder