Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Lagavulin 1990 Distillers Edition.... opinions

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Lagavulin 1990 Distillers Edition.... opinions

Postby killerwhale » Sat May 26, 2007 4:10 am

hello :)
I did read the tasting notes of the forum.... though anyone want to give an opinion/ or another opin., on this malt? I may be able to get it but it is expensive ($110).... however, I love Laga 16 (I know this is different from the 16), so am curious about it....

thanks
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Quaichuser » Sat May 26, 2007 4:32 am

The DE is one of my favourites. Rich, smoky, smooth like fine mead. It is well worth the extra dollars.
Best served after dinner...it does work with dark chocolate or blue cheese.

I now prefer it to a Macallan 18, particularly when you consider the price difference. The Macallan is now $280CDN here. :shock: That will buy 2 and half of the DE's.

It's not something I would have everyday but I try to keep a bottle handy for any of lifes special occasions.

Like birthdays, anniversarys, Fridays. :lol:
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby killerwhale » Sat May 26, 2007 6:51 am

thanks Quaichuser for your input.... much appreciated!

and I loved the fridays comment :lol:
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Sat May 26, 2007 10:50 am

I think it's a fabulous dram. I would normally object to paying over forty quid for a sixteen year old malt but in this case it's worth it. Lagavulin is such a powerful malt already so it isn't dominated by the Pedro Ximenez cask, the two complement each other wonderfully.

I must buy a couple more, only two in my stash here!
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat May 26, 2007 12:51 pm

I have a bottle open at the moment and I really like it too. It is much sweeter that the regular 16 but still plenty of smoke there. I probably still prefer the regular but the DE is wonderful too
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sat May 26, 2007 4:25 pm

I think it's a great bottle of whisky! I'd take this one over the regular 16 any day. The contrast between the peat smoke and the sherry is very appealing and in perfect balance in my opinion... :thumbsup:

It's not available in the US but I always make a point of asking friends going to the UK to bring back a bottle or two...

Do yourself a favor and get it! :D
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Sat May 26, 2007 4:27 pm

Might not be that helpful, since this is about the 1989 version, but I will share my long and droaning narrative with you just the same.

In my scale 88 is highly recommendable, close to greatness (whatever that means). Again, for what it is worth.

88 Sm Lagavulin 1989 Double Distilled (43%, OB) Opened this bottle on our 5th wedding anniversary. We had our first wee dram of it while getting ready for our dinner. It is amazing that Jill loves lagavulin so much, as she often dislikes so many other malts, yet likes the one of the most intense and perhaps least accessible. Yet, this is Jill and why I love her. She is marvelous and honest, she is intense and sweet, more complex and at times not easy to understand. No wonder this is her malt. First notes before a proper tasting, wow, this is nice. Much more distillery character than I had anticipated. Perhaps a bit more restrained than the 16, but very nice. The nose is lagavulin, volcanic, powerful, deep. The mouth was the same, but perhaps a bit dulled down at first. After a few minutes, both open up nicely, and the deep and sweet sherry make there way. Nice balance in my book, the sherry is there and certainly evident, but I can still get a great deal of Lagavulin. It seems that if I concentrate on one element or another, I can easy find it. I look forward to more time with this one. Preliminary score, just shy of the regular 16, lets say an 88 or 89. Re-tasted several times, these notes written after a tasting with Dr. D and hubby Jim. Ok, so I am going to go with 88 on this one. it really is a nice malt, but I tend to feel cheated that there is not more distillery character there. Yes, it is there, but I want more, more, more. Watching Jim's reaction to this one (his favorite malt of the night), this is the ultimate malt for someone who has not tried the regular Lagavulin. Without that expectation, you can just relax into it and enjoy the interplay between the sherry and the peat, the intensity of both, yet the final effect with his almost gentle, warming. A great late night malt.
Last edited by Drrich1965 on Sat May 26, 2007 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Sat May 26, 2007 4:54 pm

excellent posts, thank you for input.....

:thumbsup:
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat May 26, 2007 9:07 pm

This one is very nice! A wonderful chocolatey nose! And the Oban Distillers Edition is also very nice, with a sherry cask finish, thus giving it a perfect white wine nose, a bit of grassiness too!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun May 27, 2007 4:03 am

" She is marvelous and honest, she is intense and sweet, more complex and at times not easy to understand." - Drrich

In Greece in 2001 i came up with the name "Lucie Lagavulin" for my better 'alf for similar reasons. "...an acquired taste" might be another description...but one one always comes home to.

tho' she hates all whisky she's bought me a few good 'uns, including a couple of these.

what a whisky, with or without the PX...tho' for me the DE JUST has the edge over the standard 16.

i can remember the '84, the first i tried...

"Marvellous!" as the fast Show Jazz Crit would say.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Sun May 27, 2007 6:19 am

thanks again, it seems this is a dram I should try indeed. :thumbsup:
killerwhale
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder