Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

GLEN MORAY COLLECTABLE WHISKY

All your whisky related questions answered here.

GLEN MORAY COLLECTABLE WHISKY

Postby whiteshirt » Sun May 27, 2007 10:37 am

Hi too you knowledgeable whisky folk. This Glen Moray is on ebay at the moment it is one of 100 bottles and is to commemorate the opening of the shopping centre at buchanan galleries on the 31st of march 1999
It has a starting price of £300 which seems a rather lot of money. As a collector of Glen Moray it is of interest to me but I cannot find out anything about it. Any one out there know and what about prices. Any information would be appreciated.
whiteshirt
Bronze Member

Postby martin grant » Mon May 28, 2007 2:10 pm

Hi Whiteshirt,
I must admit I am not really much of a collector, but like you I would think this is a rather hefty price tag for what is really a 12 year old Glen Moray.
The thing that would put me off straight away is that the seller has no feed back at all on ebay. This always makes nervous.
There also seems to be a lack of information about the bottle - what's the abv, has it been signed, is it numbered?
The seller has also admitted there is some damage to the tube.

When you think you can pick up a Glen Moray 1962 at 43% abv from the Whisky Exchange for the same amount, this ebay offering does seem very expensive.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but I'd stay well clear

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/glen-moray-single-speyside-malt-whisky_W0QQitemZ150125367678QQihZ005QQcategoryZ3914QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Last edited by martin grant on Tue May 29, 2007 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 28, 2007 3:25 pm

It looks like a standard 12yo with an extra sticker on the tube and a different label on the bottle. The rest is just as Glen Moray was at that time. It was an ugly bottle in its natural state, but the green and yellow labels go really badly with the blue and red. Also, I'm not aware of Glen Moray being particularly collectible. I would run a mile from this.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 28, 2007 3:52 pm

Collectibility, whether based on the contents of the bottle or the packaging, is nothing more than a function of people's desire to collect. If a lot of people decide they want it, the price will go up. If not, the price will remain steady, or even fall. The investor's foremost goal is to know what the collector wants before the collector does, a tricky proposition. It's rarely easy to know whether you are ahead of the curve, or off the rails.

I say drink it all! :dead:
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Mon May 28, 2007 4:13 pm

Hi whiteshirt,

If I was in any doubt regarding the authenticity of this particular bottle I would contact Glen Moray directly at:

http://www.glenmoray.com/contact.html

Personally, I think this is a big fake. If Glen Moray would like to make a special bottling for the opening of Buchanan Galleries I'm sure they would do it properly, i.e. putting on a real Glen Moray label and not use a standard 12y. old whisky for the purpose.
Second, this eBay seller has no track record whatsoever and that is a real cause for alarm these days.
More suspicious is that you can't find a single trace of any similar bottles in any collections when searching the web.

I would definitely keep my hands off this bottling.

Cheers

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 28, 2007 4:21 pm

I wouldn't say it was a fake - why fake something to look so awful? My guess is that Buchanan Galleries (a shopping centre) approached Glen Moray (a distiller of cheap and little known whisky) to ask whether they could get 100 cheap bottles with a special label, and Glen Moray said yes so long as Buchanan Galleries designed and priovided the label, including the following standard words...

This sort of thing goes on all the time (cf the curernt Highland Park one for the rugby club) but most don't end up on ebay at ridiculous prices.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon May 28, 2007 5:41 pm

I agree with Nick, it's most likely not a fake but really not worth the money. If you want to know the value why not contact John Rose who writes for WM about collecting whisky and valuations????
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby whiteshirt » Mon May 28, 2007 9:21 pm

Hi thanks to you all. You are just confirming my suspicion. I would not buy this bottle at such a high price from an untested ebayer. Just placed it on forum to see if any knowledge. I might be on my own but I enjoy collecting Glen Moray I realise it is not one of the highly collectable distillerys but we are all different and pleasure comes from within.
whiteshirt
Bronze Member

Postby bamber » Mon May 28, 2007 9:32 pm

whiteshirt wrote:Hi thanks to you all. You are just confirming my suspicion. I would not buy this bottle at such a high price from an untested ebayer. Just placed it on forum to see if any knowledge. I might be on my own but I enjoy collecting Glen Moray I realise it is not one of the highly collectable distillerys but we are all different and pleasure comes from within.

Do you have a favourite ?
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby whiteshirt » Tue May 29, 2007 12:43 pm

Believe it or not I quiet enjoy the run of the mill Glen Moray from the supermarket (no age statement). I finder it smoother and less complex than the 12 or 16yrs bottles. The commemorative bottling I have heard is good but as I have only one and it is in my collection . I shall not be drinking it (well not for a while) Do you have a favourite?
whiteshirt
Bronze Member

Postby bamber » Tue May 29, 2007 1:51 pm

I must level, with you - I've only had the NAS one :oops: A good friend always keeps a bottle in the house and I drink it whenever I'm over at his house. I think it's a good malt at a great price.

I'm very low on money currently, but the 16yo is on my 'to buy' list. I tried to get the commemorative bottling after reading about it in JM's whisky bible, but could not get it at my price range.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue May 29, 2007 2:08 pm

Hi there,

the Glen Moray range used to be in the lower price range with German retailers. Than it vanished completely from the scene.
Now the 8 12 an 16 year old are back - and cost 5-7 € more!

So you better think twice, the Glen Moray hype is yet to come.

Did I mention that I am not too fond of French drinks giants who own whisky distilleries?

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder