Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

MAILING BOTTLES OF WHISKY

All your whisky related questions answered here.

MAILING BOTTLES OF WHISKY

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 30, 2007 8:43 pm

Loads of private individuals mail whisky to each other. I'd love to sell off a few bottles, but am struggling to find

(a) a courier who'll take bottles; and
(b) an appropriate container for each bottle.

Any advice ?
Deactivated Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Wed May 30, 2007 8:51 pm

lots of bubble wrap.......

royal mail are very good ......
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed May 30, 2007 9:10 pm

WHat I usually do is keep all my packaging that I recieve and reuse it.

However as adogranonthepitch said bubble wrap is great. If I don't have any specific packaging I'll use a decent oversized box fill it will styro foam pellets or packing grass even old news paper crumpled up seems to work . Wrap around bubble wrap 4 to five times and place in middle.

Never pack seperately for 2 or more bottles as they can easily hop off each other and break due to impact. In this case bubble wrap individually then tape them together so they can't hop off each other and place in the middle of styro foam etc
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed May 30, 2007 9:51 pm

Either of the above, some wine shops will sell you packaging like the stuff used by SMWS for about a quid a pack. Regarding couriers I've always used royal mail but I cant see why you'd have a problem with others if the item is properly packed. The woman from Harris Whisky swears by DHL having had a few bottles disappear with other couriers she previously tried.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu May 31, 2007 1:17 pm

The problem with couriers is that if you are not a business they may charge you an arm and a leg to send just one bottle.

I enquired from DHL how much to courier 1 bottle to Germany.

It was nearly 70Euro :shock:

I nearly had a heart attack.

However if I had a VAT number and a business account it would of been a fraction of that. :roll:

Well that is the case in Ireland anyway and The Post Office does not accept Bottles through the postal system but I send them regardless and have yet to be caught out by an eagle eyed post clerk :P
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

whisky mailing

Postby richard » Thu May 31, 2007 2:54 pm

i am lucky and work saturdays at a television shop and get my packing from the old video recorders that being the ends of packing now its dvd boxes they fit together well

posting parcel force or the post office make sure you use a track and trace service especially on ebay otherwise you are open to problems
i havnt had a parcel brocken or lost yet

postal insurance is bogus as you cannot insure glass at the post office or parcel force so if any charges you for it its a waste of time you have to look at ther small print

as said couriers are very expensive you will also find they is certain weight limits ie 2.0 kilos on certain services

richard
richard
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder