Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

BLUE HANGER 25YO

All your whisky related questions answered here.

BLUE HANGER 25YO

Postby anam cara » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:29 pm

:( can anyone clarify: is blue hanger 25yo a blended or vatted whisky?
whisky mag has it as a blend in the whiskies of the world section, BUT ALSO has it a gold medal winner in the vatted malt section of its 2006 independent bottlers challenge!
it's very nice regardless but it would be good to know for sure.
anam cara

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:37 pm

As far as I know it's a blended whisky. Di Blasi (a member on this forum) loves it!
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby anam cara » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:43 pm

thanks mr fjeld. as di blasi knows i love bergen!
anam cara

blue hanger

Postby richard » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:25 pm

if i remember correctly the first blue hanger was a vatted malt not sure when it changed over to a blend i dont know

a good friend of mine told me it was very good when it was a vatted malt

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:24 pm

Whatever the hell it is, I miss mine! I wish I could get another!!! Get it if you can, it's excellent!
Di Blasi

Postby Admiral » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:47 am

I have a bottle of it (courtesy of a winning letter in Whisky Mag a year or two ago! :thumbsup: ), and I understand it to be a blend.

Also, just did a quick internet search...

Royal Mile Whiskies say the following:
Bottled by Berry Bros. & Rudd, Blue Hanger is a cask strength, unchillfiltered 25 year old blended whisky. 'Butterscotch and rich orange peel palate with a dry smoky finish'.

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:45 am

Admiral wrote:I have a bottle of it (courtesy of a winning letter in Whisky Mag a year or two ago! :thumbsup: ), and I understand it to be a blend.

Also, just did a quick internet search...

Royal Mile Whiskies say the following:
Bottled by Berry Bros. & Rudd, Blue Hanger is a cask strength, unchillfiltered 25 year old blended whisky. 'Butterscotch and rich orange peel palate with a dry smoky finish'.

Cheers,
AD

Congratulations on your winning letter Admiral! And winning a wonderful bottle of whisky!! I'm sure you'll truly enjoy it when you do decide to open it!!!
Di Blasi

apologies

Postby richard » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:19 pm

i am eating humble now as
i got my friend wrong in quoteing blue hnger
was a vatted malt i can only apologise it allways was a blended whisky i wll take my foot out of my mouth now

richard :oops:
richard
Silver Member

Postby Leither » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:42 pm

According to Serge on WhiskyFun it is a vatting of Glenlivet and Glen Grant:

Blue Hanger 25 yo (45.6%, Berry Bros, Glen Grant/Glenlivet vatting, 2003) Colour: amber. Nose: really classic. Caramelised apple, sherry, dried orange, tropical fruits (guava). Most enjoyable. Develops on milk caramel and herbal tea. Lime tree, camomile. Cappuccino, vanilla creme. Really nice and enjoyable… again, a classic, with some very nice sherry. Mouth: nice, quite creamy and very satisfying. Dried orange, chocolate, vanilla, sherry. Gets a little winey. Hints of white pepper, soft tannins. Medium finish, on toffee. Again and again, a true classical Speysider, nicely sherried. Not too complex, but really enjoyable.
84 points.

So it looks like it there may have been a couple of expressions - you may want to ask Berry Bros & Rudd to confirm/advise.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Leither » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:45 pm

Indeed tasting notes here suggest a 2nd release:

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/b ... y2703.html
Leither
Gold Member

Postby anam cara » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:02 am

:!:
Thanks guys for your thoughts. Tip: watch out for Geo Dickel now that it is back in production - their Barrel Selection is superb.
anam cara

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:15 pm

The Blue Hanger 25y still remains one of the best whiskies I've had! I look forward to getting another bottle one day. Though it's limited in release, I'm sure each new release is top and as good as the others!
Di Blasi

Postby MGillespie » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:31 am

Like Admiral, I have part of a bottle left from a published letter. The second edition is indeed a blend, and it's an excellent one at that! I think my tasting notes are probably somewhere on the forum from last year...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby anam cara » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:51 pm

:? Just to complicate things: the bbr website says that the 2nd release is no longer available but that it is a vatting of Speyside malts! Anyway it is a wonderful concoction whatever the make-up and I look forward to another release. Incidentally, Strata in Queen St in Glasgow do have a bottle on their gantry.
anam cara

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder