Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Pot Still (Glasgow, Hope St)

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

The Pot Still (Glasgow, Hope St)

Postby WishayKillie » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:56 am

Just wondering if many people had ever been in there for a drink. I was in last week, I managed to drag my girlfriend away from Buchanan St shops for 5 minutes, I was rushed so only got a few drinks in, Ardbeg 10Y, Lagavulin 16Y and Highland Park 12Y. I wanted to try the Longmore 15Y but they didnt have any left also out of Highland Park 25 :cry: It was my first time in and will be back in the near future.
WishayKillie

Postby Leither » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:29 pm

Hi WK - aye, I know the Pot Still well and often go there when thro shopping with my trouble and strife as she battles her way through the shops of Sauchiehall Street. The Pot Still is a great place.

First time there was last May when I sampled the Ardbeg Very Young followed by a Still Young - like sookin a growbag. Shortly after I nipped back round to Oddbins on Sauchiehall St to do my own bit of retail therapy and bought a bottle of each!

I assume you're a Killie fan exiled in Wishay then?
Leither
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:37 pm

Yes I've been a couple of times.... I had to drag myself in there while the other half was shopping :wink:

Met 2 nice Norwegian guys and had a good laugh with them.... Both into to their metal and one of them called the other satan the drunker he got .... but all harmless fun ....

Yes a nice pub and some great whiskies ... glenfiddich 18yo was on special the day I was there and was the same price and glenfiddich 12yo :roll:

I was in there the following day also and both Glenfiddich 18yo's that they had on the go were nearly finished and they had to replace one before I left .... punters know value for money when they see it ....
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:58 pm

Hi WK, and welcome to the forum.

I agree, Pot Still is an amazing pub, with a HUGE range of malts behind the bar.

There's a wee interview with Ken, the owner here on Singlemalt TV. Worth a watch

http://www.singlemalt.tv/
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby WishayKillie » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:04 am

Leither wrote:Hi WK - aye, I know the Pot Still well and often go there when thro shopping with my trouble and strife as she battles her way through the shops of Sauchiehall Street. The Pot Still is a great place.

First time there was last May when I sampled the Ardbeg Very Young followed by a Still Young - like sookin a growbag. Shortly after I nipped back round to Oddbins on Sauchiehall St to do my own bit of retail therapy and bought a bottle of each!

I assume you're a Killie fan exiled in Wishay then?

Yeah a mental Killie fan (always a bottle of Johnnie Walker in the house), but I'm born and raised in Wishaw haha. Good to see a couple of other pot still fans, good place if you fancy a wee taste before you buy. I tend to go round to the whisky shop in Buchanan galleries for some browsing, although they had hee haw in last week.
WishayKillie

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:42 am

The Pot Still is a cracking wee place. I was last there with Malt Teaser after WL Glasgow. Can't actually recall much of the evening :? but do remember waking with a snifter of Talisker stuck in my shirt top pocket and the remains of a fish supper on the dressing table :oops:
Breakfast was a "Walk in the woods" with Dave Broom and several other rather quiet and somber individuals :coffee:
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:32 pm

Yes, a great well stocked bar indeed! I was there in August last year and tasted the Serendipity, but was so congested I couldn't taste much at all. Funny to hear about the Norwegians you met irishwhiskeychaser!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Oiler_Kiwi99 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:00 am

Love The Pot Still. I am a member of Glasgows Whisky Club and we hold regular tastings/get togethers in there. The staff and management are great and the whisky range fantastic.

They do a nice pint of Guinness too. :thumbsup: I quite like to sup a pint when drinking malt.
Oiler_Kiwi99
Bronze Member

Postby WishayKillie » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:26 am

Oiler_Kiwi99 wrote:Love The Pot Still. I am a member of Glasgows Whisky Club and we hold regular tastings/get togethers in there.

Nice one. Never new there was one,any more info?
WishayKillie

Postby Oiler_Kiwi99 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:55 pm

http://www.glasgowswhiskyclub.blogspot.com/

That's a link to their website. The HP event on the 27th of this month is being held where I work. Membership is £30 a year for which you get a bottle of Glengoyne 10yo and a miniature of HP18yo. Let me know if you require further information. I don't stay that far from you here in Blantyre.
Oiler_Kiwi99
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder