Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenlivet - Nadurra

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : The Glenlivet Nadurra

Glenlivet - Nadurra

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:49 am

Hey Dudes,
It's me- JohnyyGuitar, back to stir up some excitment. So look it, I went out and sprung for some Glenlivet Nadurra, I know, I know, I said I wouldn't waste my good money on the expensive stuff, but don't pay any attention to what I said, just listen to what I got to say now.....OK?...OK!
So the stuff (Nadurra) is just kick a**, worth every penny, as you may know the Nadurra is cask strength, I debated between it and MaCallan cask and, well got the Nadurra. Well sipping it has certainly been the most fun that I have had with my cloths on in a long time.
So I get on the whiskey forum and decide to check out the reviews it got....Now, as you may recall an old post I started a while back about, something like - "Why do the experts disagree" - and, well it was mostly about trashing the experts, it got a little spirited, me being on the side of doing the trashing. Anyway, the experts give the Nadurra 7 1/4.....pretty much something down in that range is basically say it is p*ss water, crap whiskeys do better than that....SO here we go again, not mentioning any names, but it starts with Jack***, is saying stuff like "sugary mint sauce" and "Porcini mushrooms".....oh yea, come on now give me a break.....I'm convinced more than ever that these guys are just a bunch of blow hards.....these jokers actually rate stuff like Speyburn better than the Nadurra....How much more blatantly obvious can it be that these experts are, ah let's just say full of it, and I'll just leave it at that and pour myself another dram....man the Nadurra is just kick a**. 7 1/4, Porcini mushrooms....you gotta be a complete idiot to listen to those guys........

PS hi Mr tattie, how'm I doing on this post ?
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:02 am

Well welcome back Johnnyguitar it's been a while....

Yes take what people say with a pinch of salt ... evn us :wink:

Glad you enjoyed the "sugary mint sauce" and "Porcini mushrooms" though :lol:

Now that you are even talking about it I'm getting more and more curious ... how many more people on this forum going to sing to the heavens about it and not one desenting voice ....

me thinks that I need to get me a bottle ..... :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:16 am

Would you settle for a semi-dissenting vote? I thought that it was ok but nothing to rave about. Better than the Speyburn? Well yes but I can get that for $17 instead of around $50. For the most part, I have found the Glenlivet to be a bit too "spirity" for my palate. But if someone wants to pour me one....
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby killerwhale » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:51 am

hmmmm sounds like a good malt.... though many have different opins towards malts, so if an 'expert' writes that a malt tastes like so and so, just take it lightly and try it oneself if interested.
I can't get this malt here :twisted: .... though if someone wants to send me a wee sample I'd happily give my honest opin.... :lol: :angel:
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:51 am

Jim Murray rates the 48% version 94pts, guess if you want to use a critic as a guide you need one who you normally concur with. Perhaps you should invest in a copy of the whisky bible johnny. For what it's worth there where chocolate ginger biscuits in his dram, lots of them!
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:41 pm

This Glenlivet is one I want to try next month. "A bit too spirity" sounds right up my alley. I am kinda hoping for something along the lines of "like the Glenlivet Archive, but with more punch."
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Wide price range

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:21 pm

I noticed the Nadurra is one of those bottles that can vary quite a bit in price depending, of course, where you buy it. I see it run anywhere from 43->70 US dollars.
Yes it is "spirited", I tried it with a little water, but then went at it straight ahead - like a real man.
I find myself liking Glenlivet more and more these days, and the Nadurra :thumbsup: is making me a beleiver that there is life after Islay.

By the way, I like the new thing with the bottle faces - cute :)
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:34 pm

We had Glenlivet Nadurra for the first time last weekend. My initial tasting was not what I expected. It was almost as if we had put some demerara sugar in it. Will have to back for further investigation.

:)
les taylor

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:18 am

les taylor wrote:We had Glenlivet Nadurra for the first time last weekend. My initial tasting was not what I expected. It was almost as if we had put some demerara sugar in it. Will have to back for further investigation.

Let me know how you get on .... after all the positive raving about this I've been very tempted ...

However the demera sugar bit might make me think ...

Not really a fan of the 12yo so if this is just a version with added brown sugar I may pass....
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Oiler_Kiwi99 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:56 am

My good lady got 1 litre of the Nadurra 48% for £31.99 (£5 off) at the airport 10 days ago.

I quite like the 12yo as a light not so complex dram that doesn't overwhelm the taste buds.

It's what I would call a nice introductory dram to a newbie malt drinker IMHO.

However the Nadurra is a different beast completely.

I found it much more complex with far more going on in both the nose and taste and the finish is nice and long.

It's now a malt I will permanently keep a bottle of in the cupboard. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Oiler_Kiwi99 on Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oiler_Kiwi99
Bronze Member

Postby netgio » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:56 pm

@JohhnyG - A bit OT but I thought you might like this given your deep respect for the experts...
http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/highland_park/whisky641.html

The two heavyweights fail to agree on a single attribute of the HP 1977... the best one is the palate... MJ says "very bitter chocolate" and JM has "deliciously sweet malt"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Were they tasting the same thing?!
netgio

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:15 pm

netgio wrote
@JohhnyG - A bit OT but I thought you might like this given your deep respect for the experts...
http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/h ... ky641.html

how about the "Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee" reference by JM, what can you say about these guys, nothing that's nice, they really just set themshelves up to be called "BLOW HARDS".....
So one thing I've learned about experts is that they all disagree, so how expert are they ? But we had a whole 'nother topic on this awhile back.
Also I don't listen to other people's opinions or what they say about what something tastes like......
Some people really get stuck on the 'peat' thing and everything else, is well, just something else they don't like.
Relating back to Nadurra (topic of this post), so as not to pound it down and drink it all to fast, and as it was the only bottle of scotch on my shelf, yes I don't keep many bottles on hand at any one time, I can't, they just seem to get, drunk (no poun intended) up to fast, call me weak in will, but anyway I purchased a bottle of Bowmore Legend, oh oh now, there you go, I know exactly what a couple of you highbrows are thinking...."that's stuff is crap"..............anyway I need something to stop my hand from reaching for the $$Nadurra$$ whenever I open the cupboard door....and you know what, that cheap crap (Legend) is great, does it taste like Lagavulin, Talisker ? ....NO............yea but so what, it doesn't taste like cracker jacks or drive like a sports car either, so what, who cares, just because I only spend a buck for a Herseys bar doesn't mean I can't enjoy it....if you get my point.......
Yea I dropped a bit more on the Nadurra than I usually do or should have...and it is damn damn good, but I also think one is a sucker if they think they should limit themselves to the higher caliber stuff all the time just to enjoy scotch, especially those high priced experts who still can't seem to agree on what the same exact bottle of scotch really taste like. Their objective in life is more about getting the money out of your pocket and into their's than discerning the actual taste of a whiskey.
And that's my tasting notes on life.
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Re: Glenlivet - Nadurra

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:14 pm

JohnyyGuitar wrote: PS hi Mr tattie, how'm I doing on this post ?

Your post is redolent of porcini mushrooms!

What do I know? I'm no expert. :insane:

Well, you will no doubt offend many of the disciples of Lord Murray. What I get out of the fact that the experts don't agree is that no one agrees, and that's totally groovy. The only expert on what I taste is me! As for all the rest, it's all in fun, and will be more meaningful to some than to others. If one person thinks Bowmore Legend is awesome, and another thinks it's crap, that's fine. And if one person thinks Jim Murray is the Omniscient Oz, and another thinks he's a little guy behind a curtain, that's fine, too.
Deactivated Member

Postby wieslaw » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:36 pm

halfway through my second bottle & after it settles down, after a fortnight, it becomes a potent fiery pastry. even smells like shortbread cookies. think of those chessmen butter cookies dipped in napalm. great stuff!
wieslaw

Postby shoganai » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:59 am

I've raved about Nadurra on these boards before. For me, it's like drinking apple pie (that has been spiked with a nice Highland malt). It's Glenlivet with attitude. If I scored whisky I'd give it very high marks.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:51 pm

Now Now Now.....don't take everything I say to serious or to heart :P , Mr tattie you know me, poking fun and stirring things up just for the sake of it.... :)

For me, it's like drinking apple pie (that has been spiked with a nice Highland malt).

If I want apple pie I'll just go buy one and put it in the blender, if I wanna' drink it..... I like scotch because it tastes like scotch, nothing else taste like that, (similar to other thinks you might say, but not the same)that's why I like it and buy it.
And when I eat my apple pie, I don't try to imagine what kind of scotch it tastes like or anything else.
Where, when, how ? did this whole thing get started with everyone trying to imagine what flavors they could find in all of this, scotch, wine, liquor, etc...
I think we are all trying to make more out of this than it really is, perhaps to impress others, or perhaps we feel we need to do it because it part of the game, you know like wearing those silly special pants to ride your bike.
Leave those perfect tasting tongues to the real experts whole really need to discen liquid characterists with a simple taste, to see if a wine is ready to bottle, to know how long it will cellar, or to blend whiskey, etc, etc, etc.............for us consumers, just drink you wine, scotch, whatever...and forget all the pretentiousness.
The one think I long to see or would like to know about when I purchase a new bottle of scotch would be a catagorize list that simply groups scotch together, so I know what to expect....Now I'm no expert but I could 'objectively' not 'subjectively' but certain whiskey in to simple general groups by taste.
If someone knows where such a list exists kindly let me know.........and don't say....Islay, Higland, dah, dah.....I know that much already

Well I see this thread has degenerated into something else beside the topic.........in no small part thanks to me............ :P
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:03 pm

Gee, after that, how can i post tasting notes :wink: . Mabye I just say that I think it is darn spiffy as well...
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:24 pm

JohnyyGuitar wrote:I think we are all trying to make more out of this than it really is, perhaps to impress others, or perhaps we feel we need to do it because it part of the game....

Or maybe you just don't get it! Image Nothing really wrong with that, either--just with telling others that they shouldn't get it, either.
Deactivated Member

Postby shoganai » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:42 am

JohnyyGuitar wrote:If I want apple pie I'll just go buy one and put it in the blender, if I wanna' drink it.....

Why didn't I think of that!?!? You just saved me a sh!tload of money! Thanks!
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:35 am

JohnyyGuitar wrote:
I think we are all trying to make more out of this than it really is, perhaps to impress others, or perhaps we feel we need to do it because it part of the game....

Mr Tattie wrote ....
Or maybe you just don't get it! Nothing really wrong with that, either--just with telling others that they shouldn't get it, either.

Why not, the experts are telling them "They should get it" and I'm telling them "They shouldn't get it"...........Actually I don't think I ever said that...
I once studied art in college, once I started 'getting it', I realize there really wasn't anything to get, just a lot of blowviating and cute but meaningless sounding words, ....reminds me a lot of scotch tasting.
But it is nice to mince words with you again Mr T, how have you been? I trust you have been pouring lots of over priced scotch down your gullet, probably much more to the pleasure of the distilleries bottom line than your's.

And the rest of you please please feel free to say whatever you think the Nadurra taste like, be it cherry, apple, lemon, whatever pie, pickled pigs feet, grannies under shorts, whatever.........If someone were to put a gun to my head (I know what you are thinking Mr T), and asked me what Nadurra tasted like, I'd have to reply "Glenlivet, a very good Glenlivet".....
Hey what fun is left in life if we can't challanege each other, drink a little and have some laughs to. :P
Last edited by JohnyyGuitar on Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby shoganai » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:40 am

JohnyyGuitar wrote:once I started 'getting it', I realize there really wasn't anything to get,

That is so zen. I love it.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:46 am

JohnyyGuitar wrote:
once I started 'getting it', I realize there really wasn't anything to get,

shoganai wrote:

That is so zen. I love it.

Is he making fun of me of not ? I'm not hip to the Zen thing. Isn't that something the old hippies get into when they can't grow a pony tail anymore ?
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby shoganai » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:12 am

JohnyyGuitar wrote: Is he making fun of me of not ? I'm not hip to the Zen thing. Isn't that something the old hippies get into when they can't grow a pony tail anymore ?

It was a compliment.

(and you can address me directly)
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:55 am

Zen is something that makes no sense, but sounds like it must mean something.

Uh oh, I'm starting to sound like Johnyy.... :shock:
Deactivated Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:30 pm

JohnyyGuitar wrote:
Is he making fun of me of not ? I'm not hip to the Zen thing. Isn't that something the old hippies get into when they can't grow a pony tail anymore ?

shoganai wrote....
It was a compliment.

Well thank you very much :!:
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:33 pm

Mr Tattie wrote
Uh oh, I'm starting to sound like Johnyy....

That is a good thing..........I think :?
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:42 pm

Actaully to me the Nadurra, had a bit of an organie taste, with a dirty (in a good way) earthy or old cellar trunk kind of think going on, which is a flavor I also find and like in the Glenlevit 12 year
Nadurra will be one of those bottles that in the future I will keep my eye out for and pickup whenever I come across it with a good sale price, the original bottle I purchased I paid full boat for - ouch, put I've found it for significantly less online, so there is hope for the future....
Cheers guys, thanks for putting up with my sillyness once again :)
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:30 am

Mr T wrote:"Zen is something that makes no sense, but sounds like it must mean something."

Uh-Uh! This should read "Zen is something that must mean something, but sounds like it makes no sense."

A bit like a verse from the bible (The Rev JM's) I forget which malt he was reviewing, but the words have seared themselves into my memory:

"...fails to keep the encroaching oak on a tight enough leash."
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:12 pm

i have instructed my dad to hunt one of these down for me in duty free next week

ash .
Deactivated Member

Postby wieslaw » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:10 pm

our senses can leach & if you're not careful, you'll get swallowed by a metaphor-- which can be fun.

blame it on Proust.
wieslaw

Postby les taylor » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:12 pm

wieslaw wrote:our senses can leach & if you're not careful, you'll get swallowed by a metaphor-- which can be fun.

blame it on Proust.

And the seagulls followed the trawler.

Cantona

les taylor

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:11 pm

les taylor wrote:
wieslaw wrote:our senses can leach & if you're not careful, you'll get swallowed by a metaphor-- which can be fun.

blame it on Proust.

And the seagulls followed the trawler.

Cantona

...... that's because Bowmore got rid of them and they have nothing better to do now ... :lol:

Other great quotes by King Cantona.....

I am searching for abstract ways of expressing reality, abstract forms that will enlighten my own mystery.

:?: :?: :?: :?

Sometimes in life one experiences an emotion which is so strong that it is difficult to think ......

I am very mistrustful of people who are constantly overintellectualising things. It kills passion. You have to allow yourself to lose control from time to time.

My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer it when I kicked the hooligan.

Good man Cantona ... have your priorities right anyway :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:26 am

Have just realized that there are different batches of Nadurra. Yay! Now we can talk about it forever, like the a'bunadh freaks. Recently bought batch #1206B, 59.2%, bottled 12/06. The previous one was #0606A, 57.2% (no prize for guessing the bottling date).
Deactivated Member

Postby martin grant » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:06 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:
Other great quotes by King Cantona.....

My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer it when I kicked the hooligan.

Good man Cantona ... have your priorities right anyway :thumbsup:

Eric Cantona was truly a legend. I only managed to see him play live once, and that was when he was at Leeds (against Man U of all people)

This video is a great memory of him, and includes his mad wee moment when he showed a gobby cockney the error of his ways!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0mKIvgEw7Q
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:09 pm

And just in a vague attempt to bring it all back onto topic, I would like to say that I've only tasted the Nadurra once. Touch on the sweet side for me. Demerara sugar has been mentioned before, and thats what I remember.
martin grant
Gold Member

Related whiskies : The Glenlivet Nadurra

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder