Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Old Bushmills

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Old Bushmills

Postby heatmiser » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:52 am

I was in an old liquor store in southern California and came across a bottle called "Old Bushmills". It has a federal tax stamp which puts it before 1982. Anyone familiar with the Old Bushmills whisky and how it compares to the standard Bushmills of today?
heatmiser

Re: Old Bushmills

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:40 am

heatmiser wrote:I was in an old liquor store in southern California and came across a bottle called "Old Bushmills". It has a federal tax stamp which puts it before 1982. Anyone familiar with the Old Bushmills whisky and how it compares to the standard Bushmills of today?

Old Bushmills is what we now have as regular Bushmills (Oe White label Bushmills)

Maybe interesting to check it out against todays fare but not really worth a whole pile unless is says Old Bushmills 9yo then it may be worth 50-100Dollars .... which won't make you rich :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:59 am

Does it look anything like this ... this is one of 2 that I have from late 70's early 80's....
The last one I saw sold by auction was valued at about €65.00

irishwhiskeychaser

Postby heatmiser » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:48 pm

That is exactly what it looked like. Have you tasted one to compare it to today's bottlings?
heatmiser

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:54 pm

I would of drank this version years ago but have never been a fan of this bottling at any time :roll:

I find it a bit too grain sweet... but fine and an easy drinker at the same time.

I was always very much dedicated to Blackbush...

I must do a proper HTH tsating some time of all standard Bushmills and also some older bottles I have.
irishwhiskeychaser

Re: Old Bushmills

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:39 pm

heatmiser wrote:I was in an old liquor store in southern California and came across a bottle called "Old Bushmills". It has a federal tax stamp which puts it before 1982. Anyone familiar with the Old Bushmills whisky and how it compares to the standard Bushmills of today?

Actually a quick question .... How can you tell if a tax stamp is pre or post 1982?

It good to know these things ...

Thanks in advance.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby heatmiser » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:42 am

In the US, tax stamps were required for liquor bottles pre-1982. Some continued to use faux tax stamps (no numbers) on them after 1982 and eventually were phased out all together especially with the tamper-proof caps.
heatmiser

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder