Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New Release Ltd Edition Auchentoshan 16yo Bourbon Finish

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

New Release Ltd Edition Auchentoshan 16yo Bourbon Finish

Postby Oiler_Kiwi99 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:34 am

Got my hands on a sample of this limited edition from a rep today. Took a sample home for my wife and I to try. Here are our notes: -

Auchentoshan 16yo Bourbon Finish 53.7% Cask Strength Non Chill Filtered

Nose: - Citrus (Lemony), hint of vanilla, demerara sugar, soft on the nose despite the ABV (takes a good whiff before you have to draw your nose
away) After adding water the vanilla aromas are elevated somewhat

Palate: -
Without Water - The alcohol overpowers the taste of the whisky and it is somewhat bland. The alcohol notes are all on the tongue.

With water - Really opens it up. First you get oak then a subtle hint of malt.

Finish: - long smooth finish however adding water increases the finish 3 - 4 times at least.

Although the finish is in bourbon casks the bourbon adds more to the nose than it does to the taste. There is a lack of complexity given the age of the whisky and what it is finished in. I understand that it will be retailing for the £60 to £70 range. I am a fan of Auchentoshan but was a little disappointed in this one. The 2 previous ltd editions 17yo Bourdeaux Finish & 18yo Oloroso finish are better IMHO.

Heads up that the Ltd Edition Bowmore will be a 1990 finished for 9 years in Port casks.
Oiler_Kiwi99
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder