Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

SPEYMALT MACALLAN

All your whisky related questions answered here.

SPEYMALT MACALLAN

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:45 pm

Yesterday, I was in the 'food hall' of a local garden centre.

There was a "Speymalt Macallan 1973" by Gordon & McPhail, which was bottled in 2006. It was £73.

This struck me as extremely cheap for a 33 year old Macallan, especially compared with what I'd pay for an official bottling of the same vintage.

Anyone tried one of these bottlings ?
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:05 pm

I've had a Macallan 1974 (40% G&M Speymalt) and scored it 86, it was less sherried than the OB Macallan's. I tried it at a friends house and thought it was OK but did not really have the "Macallan' character, I wouldn't buy a bottle personally.
Last edited by Lawrence on Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Mustardhead » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:17 pm

I think the Speymalt Macallans are pretty good. Excellent value compared to the "real thing" but I am sure Macallan only sell off the old casks so you don't get the really powerful sherry character of an old Macallan.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:05 am

I agree, the Speymalt Macallans are usually very good.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:36 am

I have the very bottle you speak of, and it's a pretty tasty whisky.

The comments above are correct in that it isn't quite as powerfully sherried as the OB Macallans, but that doesn't mean this is a poor or necessarily inferior bottling - merely a different interpretation or expression of Macallan.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:54 pm

The G&M Speymalt Macallans typically run in the $250-300 range around Southern California. From my perspective, it's a pretty good price. :wink:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:34 pm

Yes, to put the pricing in perspective, I was in a liquor store yesterday.

They had the 1974 Speymalt Macallan for $149.

Meanwhile, right next to it they had the 25yo Fine Oak Macallan retailing for $389!

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:59 am

Admiral wrote:Yes, to put the pricing in perspective, I was in a liquor store yesterday.

They had the 1974 Speymalt Macallan for $149.

Meanwhile, right next to it they had the 25yo Fine Oak Macallan retailing for $389!

Cheers,
ADmiral

Yes but it was a FINE oak with Macallan on the label ... that surely must be worth something :roll:

Okay, so I was being sarcastic :oops:

For me Macallan has lost all credibility as a distillery to live off the merits of former glory ..... they are still a goood distillery but expect people to pay top dollar for their wares ..... sorry not this cheap skate ... :o
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:56 am

The rumor is that Macallan is way low on sherry casks. Has nothing to do with being a cheapskate; it's just that the Macallan series isn't as good as the price point currently.

They had jacked up the 12 yo to mostly near $45-50. Since then it has dropped back down about $10/bottle. $40+ seems a bit high for what you get.

The 18 is all over the place. The cheapes I've seen recently is $116 but the high is $180. I like for about $85.

Don't even get me started on how far overprice the Fine Oak series plus the 25 and 30. :evil:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mickblueeyes » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:59 am

My understanding from Michael Urquhart (G&M) when we were riding around Knoxville TN in my Camry (yes gratuitous self-fluffery, but it was exciting!) is that Speymalt Macallan is remnants of old casks G&M purchased from Macallan, mostly before 1980. Like several other brands, G&M bottled Macallan's distillery bottling prior to 1980 (according to MU). Though I have not had them and, honestly, consider several of G&M's bottlings average, my understanding is that the Speymalts are magnificent.

When Macallan decided to make the move into the US and do regular distillery bottlings, it is my understanding that G&M changed the name to Speymalt-Macallan in deference to Macallan to prevent consumer confusion.

I would like to add that several of G&M's bottlings are very good, including some of the harder to finds they still do distillery bottlings for like Glenburgie and Linkwood.

JMHO.
mickblueeyes

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder