Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

GLENFIDDICH CAORAN 12 Year Old

All your whisky related questions answered here.

GLENFIDDICH CAORAN 12 Year Old

Postby killerwhale » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:26 am

we can't get this malt here and it's not that expensive it seems.... was wondering, what is it like? good?
I'd like to give it a go but since it's not available, I'll have to be content to read others opins, thanks!

sorry if this has been asked before.... :angel:
I like to browse whisky sites and this malt always catches my attention so I thought I'd ask. :)
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:37 am

It's still in my local supermarket.

An intriguing concept, but not a stunning result. Actually, a fairly "toothless" malt that even my wife was prepared to drink.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:15 pm

The only bottle I can remember that I just could not finish. I thought it was bloody awful. Tasted of last night's campfire and little else.

Of course, not everyone will agree, but that's my tuppence worth!
Deactivated Member

Postby killerwhale » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:28 am

thanks for the posts.
& Mr. T, is it really that bad? wow.... I know it's your opinion but still, really bad.... :o
I'd like to try it and will try to keep an eye out in the future.... maybe a pub will have it.
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:34 am

It's not a very nice whisky.

Thin, out of balance, and the wood influence kills off any nice malty or lemon citrus notes that you would normally expect from Glenfiddich.

Don't waste your money on it - your tastebuds deserve something better.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:41 am

Admiral wrote:It's not a very nice whisky.

Thin, out of balance, and the wood influence kills off any nice malty or lemon citrus notes that you would normally expect from Glenfiddich.

Don't waste your money on it - your tastebuds deserve something better.

Cheers,
ADmiral

thanks Admiral..... if I ever get the chance to try it, I will just for the experience even if it's horrid :lol: but not buy a bottle first :)
someone must like it though? maybe that will be me.... :insane:
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:03 am

sorry

i have to agree with everything bad said about it

i wouldn't have it given

ash .
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:52 pm

Mrs eelbrook is apparently made of sterner stuff than are we!
Deactivated Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:37 pm

Well, that settles it. I am going to have to break out the bottle that I bought from duty free and see what all the fuss is about . If it is as bad as people say, it will run 180 degrees counter to my recent romance with the GF 15.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:33 pm

Look forward to your notes, Dr. Kind of wish I could have another crack at it myself, just to see if my memory of it is at all accurate...but certainly not enough to buy a bottle!
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:56 pm

It's a while since I had Caoran Reserve but I thought it was OK. A bit dry and smoky but not in your face. It was quite unlike anything else I've had, but I suppose my lack of anything terribly concrete to say about it suggests it might have been verging on the bland. My principal objection, if I recall, was that the bottle was opaque so you couldn't see how far down you'd got. Still and all, it went quick enough.
Deactivated Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:55 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Look forward to your notes, Dr. Kind of wish I could have another crack at it myself, just to see if my memory of it is at all accurate...but certainly not enough to buy a bottle!

Well I wish I had known of the general opinion before I bought it, but I think it was only $28 in duty free, so its not such a disaster. However, I realize that I have been craving something more malty than I currently have open, so perhaps another peated dram is not the way to go. We shall see.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:25 am

It's not peaty in the sense that most people would expect - comes through more as dry than phenolic, I think.
Deactivated Member

Postby bond » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:11 am

I can't feeling a bit taken aback at the dreadful reviews this malt seems to have gotten. While its not something to write home about, I would certainly rate it above the vanilla 12 yo and perhaps even the 15 solera reserve.

I quite relish the mild smokiness and the hint of raisins on the finish.
bond
Gold Member

Postby Steve Rush » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:19 pm

A very disapointing dram in my mind. As with the 12yr does more for the nose than the palate.
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:35 am

.....so perhaps another peated dram is not the way to go.

Don't worry...as Nick said, it ain't peaty.

As with the 12yr does more for the nose than the palate.

Yes, that's true....the nose held my interest for a little moment, but it all comes crashing down once you taste it.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:44 am

Being someone who usually scratches his head over those who differentiate between peat and smoke--it's peat smoke, after all!--I will say that this is indeed one that is smoky but not peaty. I thought of woodsmoke, and not pleasant.

Rate it over the 15, bond? I'm stunned--I find that very hard to figure. But no one can say you're wrong!
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder