Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Current Lagavulin 16 vs. old White Horse version?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Lagavulin 16 Years Old

Current Lagavulin 16 vs. old White Horse version?

Postby Sherried Malt » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:33 am

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the current Laga 16 from Port Ellen and the older one distlled by White Horse Distillers? I've done a search and gotten some historical background on the change but no tasting notes on how the two compare... Is one "better" than the other or just different? :?

Anyone have an opinon here?

Thanks!
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:29 am

This topic was discussed at length here about two years ago, perhaps even three.

One regular poster here (sorry, I can't remember his name and whether he's still active here) was certainly convinced that the newer bottlings weren't as good as the old White Horse ones.

Have a search through the archives here and you should uncover quite a bit of discussion on the subject.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:08 am

Thanks Admiral! You had several exchanges with Islayjunkie... Don't know why my search didn't find it before... :?: :?:

Based on your notes, it sounds like my palate is much more in line with the Port Ellen version. You just saved me a ton of trouble trying to find the White Horse edition.... :D

Thanks again. :thumbsup:
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:12 am

You're very welcome!! :D
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:20 pm

I did a head to head with an old mini and a recent bottle. Both are good, the older one was bigger drier and more assertive, the newer one not as deep , a little sweeter, more grassy. I theink i posted some notes at the time.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:27 pm

Sherried Malt wrote:Thanks Admiral! You had several exchanges with Islayjunkie... Don't know why my search didn't find it before... :?: :?:

Based on your notes, it sounds like my palate is much more in line with the Port Ellen version. You just saved me a ton of trouble trying to find the White Horse edition.... :D

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

... and probably save you a lot of money also .....

I do believe in trying as much as you can but not at any cost .... Talisker 10 was another that people say was better bak in the day .... I've been lucky enough to be able to get several older versions for the same or only slightly dear price of the current bottle...

One was better, one was not, then I got another current bottle which was brill also ... I have come to the conclusion that these can change back and forth any time and it is not always a case older is better.....
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:12 pm

It's only me speculating, but I think some malts, especially very popular ones like these, suffered from the supply crunch caused by the production lull in the '80's. I recall being told that very nearly every available drop of Lagavulin was going into the 16 at one point, and we will all recall that it was still in very short supply for a while. You can't cherry-pick the casks to be used for single malt if you have to use everything. It would seem the worst of the crunch is past, and the apparent resurgence of Talisker is perhaps an indication.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:06 am

That may be a valid point Mr T-h .... and I am happy to think it could be true ... sometimes believing is enough to make you enjoy a dram more than you reckon you should, than if you believe it is substandard :?
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Related whiskies : Lagavulin 16 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder