Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg - Uigeadail

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Ardbeg Uigeadail

Ardbeg - Uigeadail

Postby recordmeister » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:31 pm

Is this in danger of running out soon? Anyone know how long Ardbeg can keep making this brilliant Whisky? There is one for sale on eBay (original in the early box) and the text says that it is low on stock, which i don't believe!
recordmeister
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:32 am

Damn recordmeister! If I were you I'd look for it in some shop in London, I'm sure you'll find it easy! And other great stuff while you're at it!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:07 am

I would suppose that it's the early edition that's "low on stock", and being eBayed at a premium. Some here have opined that the first bottling of Uigeadail was the best, and that would seem logical to me. The first bottling is best use of resources; subsequent ones are attempts to match the first. For all the crap "limited editions" have taken around here lately, I'd prefer to see the different bottlings of such product as this clearly acknowledged as such, a'bunadh style. Pretending that it's always the same stuff is a tiny bit disingenuous.
Deactivated Member

Postby recordmeister » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:50 am

Di Blasi- Yes there are loads of bottles in shops and the price is falling (£33 in Oddbins now). But if the stock was running low, I would go out and buy 5 or 6 bottles, as it is one of my fav Whiskies!

Mr Tattie Head - I agree. It would be nice to know what edition you own as every oine is going differ slightly. If A'bunadh can do it, why can't Ardbeg; esp when the Whisky is ofthen £40 a bottle!
recordmeister
Bronze Member

Postby Leither » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:14 am

RM - with stocks of older Ardbeg drying up fast the existing Uigeadail is sure to be out of stock soon IMHO. The older flip-top boxes did say it contained older barrels from 70's sherry casks, I forget exactly what the newer (standard boxes similar to Ardbeg Ten) say.

I think this is discussed on other threads so check previous discussions.

Last time I asked a rep at a tasting will young Uigeadail replace the old one he said 'You could well be right there'.

Check out RMW's notes on how the profile has changed since launch:

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/produc ... 0000019353

It has been mentioned here before that older stock contained 70's oloroso barrels whereas newer stuff had later 70's fino barrels in the mix.

Anyway, it is a favourite of mine so I've stocked up on the old flip-top boxed stuff (last time Oddbins had it on offer) and I suggest you check your local Oddbins any of this. At £33 it would be rude not to!
Leither
Gold Member

Postby r900p » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:19 am

What was it orginally retailing for?

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Leither » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:24 am

Leither
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:39 am

Yes, I too now remember hearing, maybe here somewhere, the Uigeadail would continue being bottled, but yes, the first bottlings did have the older, sherry in it. I did see a change in color and nose and taste when the box changed from flip-top to standard, but it's still great! Maybe it isn't a bad idea recordmeister to buy 5 or 6 bottles!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby r900p » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:54 am

You guys are pretty on the ball, i didn't know the whisky had changed but then i haven't had the earlier one.
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Dangerous_Dave » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:21 am

I was at the distillery last week and they are still making it. I found the peat and sherry combo a bit overbearing but I can see how it would appeal to the serious Peat lovers.
Dangerous_Dave

Related whiskies : Ardbeg Uigeadail

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder