Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

degradation of malt whisky due to heat???

All your whisky related questions answered here.

degradation of malt whisky due to heat???

Postby cbutterworth » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:32 am

I ordered a bottle of 18 yr old Highland Park and 10 yr old Springbank from a distributor in Illinois. The package was supposed to arrive next Monday (25th June) and according to the distributor and Fedex would require an adult signature. "Great" I thought, my wife would be home to sign and get the bottles in out the hot Arizona sun (we live east of Phoenix).

To my horror (or delight :thumbsup: ), I got back from work today (Friday) and Fedex had delivered the package early. No-one was home to sign for the delivery, and my whisky had been sitting in direct sun at 112 degrees for four hours!

Anyway, I opened the box, none of the bottles are cracked, but one has obviously seeped through the cork stopper, and both bottles were very warm to the touch.

OK, so could this heating have been deleterious to the whisky contained within?

Thanks,
Charlie
cbutterworth

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:22 am

Gosh, yes, that's hot alright!! A dry heat though right cbutterworth?? (ha ha!) That's quite extreme indeed, but for 4 hours, they might still be okay. The way to make sure is to taste them and find out. And for next time, do contact the seller to give you a heads up as to when to expect them exactly so it doesn't happen again!!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby cbutterworth » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:12 am

Di Blasi,

You're right about it being hot, and it'll stay this way until mid September! My wife, young son and I were back in northern England a couple of weeks ago visiting my family, the weather was nice and cool, and the beer deliciously warm.

I suppose that I will have to taste my whiskies this evening. I sort of know what to expect with the Highland Park, but it is a long, long time since I had Longrow that I doubt I can remember it, although it ought to be like a Springbank but with loads of juicy smoke overtones (maybe some iodine?).

Charlie
cbutterworth

Postby Wave » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:47 am

Wow, that seems a bit strange that FedEx would just leave a package that needed to be signed for, they're usually pretty good about that. UPS on the other hand do it both ways without any ryhme or reason. An order of a Port Ellen 6th Release from Royal Mile Whiskies (London) sent via UPS was left just sitting at my door for I don't know how long, I was late getting home from work. Ackkkkkk!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:17 pm

I would contact the distributor and inform them of what has happened and you are not sure whether the contents have been affected and at least you have pre warned them if there are any problem with the bottles....

The problem with this is if your not sure how the whisky tastes you don't know whether it is affected or not :?:

Hope all is all right though ....
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:49 pm

I live in Phoenix as well, and have been wondering the same thing about ordering for delivery. I fortunately have a nearby family member who is (pretty much) always home to get packages. If not though, I would not have a problem getting it shipped to my office. :lol: :coffee:

Also, if anyone else has any commentary on the 115 degree heat (120 the other day, unbearable) and its affect on whisky, I'd appreciate hearing it.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder