Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Peat Monster ?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Peat Monster ?

Postby scotchrunner » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:50 pm

I am new to Scotch and it's really the smoky aroma that pulled me into it, but I am beginning to appreciate the complexities of all single malts.
I would like choose just one bottle of either Compass Box Peat Monster or Ardbeg or Laphroaig. Is the Peat Monster any more extreme in smokiness ? or should I just stick to trying one of the single malts Ardbeg or Laphroaig.
Thanks for your opinions ! :thumbsup:
Alex
scotchrunner

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:52 am

I haven't had the Peat Monster, but I recall that the consensus is that it isn't all that monstrous. You can scroll down to a couple of tasting notes on this page, the Tasting Notes of the forum, which you'll find permanently at the top of the Tastings category--a very useful resource maintained by Jan for no profit but our humble gratitude.
Deactivated Member

Postby killerwhale » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:33 am

just my opinion but I'd go with Ardbeg, then Laphroaig (you mean the 10? the QC is better than the 10 in my opin also), then the Peat Monster.....
I liked the Peat Monster but it's not as big or yummy as Ardbeg & Laphroaig.
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Dangerous_Dave » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:36 pm

Compass Box Peat Monster is predominantly Caol Ila (30-40ppm phenol) and Ardmore (~10ppm) single malts. I can't see how that can "out-peat" Ardbeg/Laphroaig at ~50ppm. The most heavilt peated SMSW is Bruichladdich Octomore at 80 ppm (or 167ppm depending on who you ask) but having tasted one or two of the other peated Bruichaddich malts, I'd say the tall stills and narrow spirit cut are likely to remove many of the interesting, richer flavours created by the peat.
Dangerous_Dave

Postby RufusA » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:51 am

Just finished off a bottle of peat monster last night. Whilst nice it's a little too warm and cuddly for my liking.

If you want raw peatiness I'd go elsewhere, however if you are looking for a nice smooth peaty drink, then buy, drink and enjoy!

Ardbeg 10YO is a stock answer to most things, and if you haven't tried it, then worth buying a bottle. Laphroaig QC is also a must try if you like peaty salty things.

If you want something cheaper then Ian Macleod's "Smokehead" is quite something, and very good value for money! Some say Caol Ila, some say Ardbeg, but has slightly more of the charactersitics of the latter IMHO.

I tried an Isle of Jura Heavily Peated at WL this year, and that pressed all of the right buttons, but I am not sure if they ever got it in to a readily available bottle on its own.

Buy a few, try and few, and see what you like. You may find that whilst the smoke draws you, you need sweetness, or saltiness to take thoughts of chewing on a stale ashtray away.

HTH - Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:13 pm

Finished my sample last night also .... yes it is quite nice and enjoyable but as many have said before more of a teddy bear than a peat monster. But again it is a nice whisky so don't let theat put you off.

briefly I'd describe it as Quite smooth and rich, sweet phenolic with some flavoursome toasty smoke.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby RufusA » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:22 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:But again it is a nice whisky..

Whisky always seems to taste better when it's free!

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:33 pm

RufusA wrote:
irishwhiskeychaser wrote:But again it is a nice whisky..

Whisky always seems to taste better when it's free!

Rufus.

Never said a truer word :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:42 pm

I would agree what others have said here regarding the Peat Monster. Not a bad whisky, but there are better OB Ardbegs and Laphroaigs and for the same price or less. Now the Compass Box 'Monster' (the forerunner of the 'Peat Monster' and bottled exclusively for Park Ave Liquors and also now long gone) would be something special as the word on this one was that it was a great dram. Don't know what the original price was on this bottle, but would like to find one.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:24 pm

I don't know what the "Benromach Peat Smoke" is like.
Deactivated Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:50 am

Hi there,

not from own experience but anyway

http://www.benromach.com/Product-Peatsmoke.html

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Leither » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:07 am

The Benromach Peat Smoke I tasted a sample of early last month is the best peated Speysider I have had so far - compared that is to Benriach, Ballantruan and Ardmore. I picked up a couple of bottles straight away. It's 55ppm phenols, around 6yo from first-fill bourbon - so perfect if you like them peaty and young.

Lawrence agreed and described it as 'Ardbeg very young lite', which was a perfect similarity for me. Stock up quick!

I have heard that the peat monster was a bit of a pussy so even on offer at £19 from Waitrose I resisted.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:12 pm

Ardbeg is my favorite so that is the obvious choice. Laphroaig is also very good though I find it more iodiney than peaty (even Ardbeg Almost There is actually very iodiney as well as peaty). As well I enjoy both Caol Ila and Ardmore so Peat Monster is another excellent whisky in my opinion though a little over the top in name though perhaps no moreso than Ardbeg Beist which I love but which is surely not the 'Peat Beast' of their product line.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder