Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

MILLBURN - HELP PLEASE

All your whisky related questions answered here.

MILLBURN - HELP PLEASE

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:15 pm

I've just 're-discovered' an unopened bottle of "Millburn" at the back of my drinks cupboard, which I think that I bought in Edinburgh 2 or 3 years ago with some birthday money from my father-in-law.

It's a Cadenhead's bottling at cask strength of 58.8% and is described as a "13 years" old. It was distilled way back in October 1983 and bottled in September 1997.

Interestingly, the bottle is 75cl (not the usual UK 70cl) and states that it was "Imported by Preiss Imports...Whittier. CA". It also carries a fairly lengthy "Government Warning".

Could this be a bottling for the Canadian market, which maybe didn't sell and so was returned to Cadenhead's in Edinburgh ?

And is it worth hanging onto ?
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:31 pm

from time to time i get botls out of shops in the ukthat have on the rear label importers details in nyc or that, i ask the same question to mark in cadenheads when i got a 20clbottle of loch dhu with the same on he said that very thing, its stuff that didnt sell and got shipped back, they got it cheap to get rid of the stuff.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:47 pm

I would guess offhand that it was for the US--that's Preiss's market, don't think they work in Canada. If you will quote from the government warning, we will probably be able to tell you whether it was for the US or Canada. If it's in English and French, definitely Canada.
Deactivated Member

Postby Wave » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:37 pm

That's a dandy of a Millburn btw, I just happen to have an open bottle of that very same bottling, Millburn 13yo oct-83-sept-97 matured in an oak cask Cadenhead.

Peaty & creamy! :P

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:25 pm

Hah...just figured out why you thought it was for Canada! CA is US postal code for California.

Deactivated Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:11 am

Yeah, Whittier is just down the road from me. I've seen those labels on many a bottle I've purchased.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Thanks all for some really useful comments.

Given what Wave's said, I'm really tempted to open it. But when am I going to see another bottle of "Millburn" ?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:25 am

As Vitara said, Cadenheads had shipped a lot of stuff to the USA in the late 1990s. They are all in 75cl bottles and have small white labels. Cadenheads asked for a stocktake at some point and they found that loads of the whiskies hadn't sold. It was all shipped back across the Atlantic. This included stocks of Braes of Glenlivet and Millburn - both of which are in my collection. The shipping and shelving have taken their toll, and the bottles and boxes are not all in A1 condition. The Millburn was still on sale a couple of months ago, but it was around £65 a bottle - quite expensive for a 13yo but, as you point out, a whisky that is very difficult to get in such a young state any more.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:55 am

eelbrook wrote:
....... I'm really tempted to open it. But when am I going to see another bottle of "Millburn" ?

But that should be the reason that you drink it

and cherish it . :thumbsup:

.. it will never do anything for you in the bottle
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Wave » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:24 pm

eelbrook wrote:Thanks all for some really useful comments.

Given what Wave's said, I'm really tempted to open it. But when am I going to see another bottle of "Millburn" ?

I've bought two Millburns in the last couple of years, granted both are twice the age of that 13yo (Cadenhead & Signatory) but it's still around just not as prolific as Brora's and PE's seem to be.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby malthead » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:51 pm

You quite often see bottlings with back labels for other countries that for some reason or another didn't make it out of the country. I believe technically speaking they shouldn't be selling you a 75cl in the UK but as long as you don't work for customs and excise then they are ok!

As for Priess they used to import Cadenheads in to the states but I think Cadenheads are now only selling whisky into there franchised shops.

As for Millburn usually is a decent dram of the few that I have had.

Slainte
malthead

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder