Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Highland Park 16 YO

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Highland Park 16 Years Old

Highland Park 16 YO

Postby bond » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:51 am

Somebody got me this bottle from the Singapore DFS yesterday. Anyone tried it yet?

Apparently focussed on duty free shops and hence unlikely to be available in retail stores.

Cheers
bond
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:24 am

Yes, I have a bottle from a duty-free shop. A very bland and disappointing HP. Have been spiking it with Blackadder Raw Cask Old Man of Hoy, an HP that is as over-the-top in every way as the 16 is underwhelming.
Deactivated Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:33 pm

Hi there,

the owners of HP and the BIG M do strange things these days. Everybody or better many of the people I know who have tasted the 16yo ask why?
The 12yo is better for most and the 16yo can not reach the 18yo of course. But it would surely not have been a good idea to create a HP fine oak line. So what to do with all thos casks which are not up to it? Travel retail.
One could get the impression that somebody at the E Group lost his bearings.

I know, I know HP won Prizes for design :headbang: and Macallan Fine Oak conquers the world :shock: but as far as I can see the activities of Edrington I have the feeling there is a lot of tumbling going on there at the moment.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby bond » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:18 am

While I am yet to taste the whisky, I am most embarassed I decided to plump for the additional years on the label, something I always dissuade others from doing.

A friend called me from Singapore duty-free and given tha rave reviews I had heard about the HP 18, I thought the 16 would be halfway there.

Let me hope I belong to a minority who like this whisky.

Cheers
bond
Gold Member

Postby Dangerous_Dave » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:44 pm

I've got a bottle open at the moment, in fact it's been open quite a while, and I would agree with Mr Tattieheed that it is extremely bland. Vague whiff of Turkish delight, cinder toffee on the palate, very little sea salt or smoke.
Dangerous_Dave

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:32 pm

Well, it's certainly not bad...just kind of limp and lifeless. I think I'll try a dram this afternoon with a fresh palate to see if perhaps there is something there that is too delicate for me to have noticed earlier. I've found recently that several drams I've thought of as "does nothing for me" are actually rather interesting if I'm properly receptive.
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:37 pm

i might pick one up the next time im thought glasgow or edinburgh airports.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:03 pm

Well, in the interests of science, I've had my dram with as untainted a palate as I can hope for. Was surprised to find this far less bland than I'd thought, but still not very interesting. In fact, it was surprisingly (or perhaps not so) reminiscent of the Old Man of Hoy, which is quite an overpowering malt, but one which is, as one of my correspondents put it, rather one-dimensional. The 16 is not a very impressive malt at all, but one which might be enjoyed early in the day, rather than late.
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:11 pm

might just get the 1litre 12yo then :wink:

they tend to have deals on all the time im though duty free, so i tend to pick up whatevers cheap and cheerfull as im tight.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby bond » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:27 am

Cracked it open on saturday and was not too disappointed. (The bad reviews had conditioned me!)

Not too much to distinguish it from the 12 yo but then, there is hardly any premium being paid either.

I would serve this to blend drinkers who want to sample what a malt tastes like. This has a bit of everything. Maybe slightly stronger hints of peat than the regular 12 YO.

Cheers
bond
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Highland Park 16 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder