Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg 10yo 25th June?

General chat and talk about whisky.

Ardbeg 10yo 25th June?

Postby ikendal » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:54 pm

If I am right and I usually wrong, Arbeg restarted distillation on the 25th June 1997

from the website (Fortunately in 1997, to the delight of fans all over the world Glenmorangie plc rescued Ardbeg and a team of dedicated souls set about repairing and reviving the distillery.)

Therefore the recent expressions 'almost there' and 'nearly there' and 'might just make it there' - are complete and Arbeg 10 year old is there! is there any news on a bottling???

thank you in advance.
ikendal
Bronze Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:19 pm

Hi Ian ,
yup the first casked Glenmo Ardbeg reached 10yo a week yesterday , we had a bit of a birthday party over on my sites chatroom and had a special guest along for a bit of the night , the manager of Ardbeg Mickey Heads .
The Actual new Ten (10yo) isn't due till next year ( 1998 distillation) , the main reason that they used the 1998 for these releases is stock , there was a lot more distilled in 1998 than in 1997 .
Going off the "For Discussion" what was distilled in 1997 was outstanding and hopefully we'll see some more released at some point ! (Please.....)
Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:32 pm

Isn't Ardbeg Mor the first of the new release ten year old from the new distillation. Which means it's already here.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:41 pm

i thought that too les, but could be wrong
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:44 pm

les taylor wrote:Isn't Ardbeg Mor the first of the new release ten year old from the new distillation. Which means it's already here.

Nope , it was on sale at the end of May during the festival so was bottled before that so is from Allied's distillation .
Plus i asked Mickey on the tour we done with him during the festival and he said it's not Glenmo stuff .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:06 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:
les taylor wrote:Isn't Ardbeg Mor the first of the new release ten year old from the new distillation. Which means it's already here.

Nope , it was on sale at the end of May during the festival so was bottled before that so is from Allied's distillation .
Plus i asked Mickey on the tour we done with him during the festival and he said it's not Glenmo stuff .

They sent us all a load of advertising stuff a couple of months ago. With a picture of this huge bottle of Ardbeg. To celebrate the Ten years. I thought it was with the new spirit. Why would you celebrate the new spirit with the old stuff?

les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:25 pm

To be honest Les i can't remember it saying in the bumf that it would be Glenmo distillation , just that it was a Caskstrength 10yo (only ever done in Japan before this one ) in a large (4 1/2 Litre) bottle which has not been done before in a Single Malt . I think most people assumed it was going to be Glenmo distillation but they have always said the first new 10yo would be next year after the Almost there .
It's very good anyway , only got about 250 units left in mine ......
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Dangerous_Dave » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:44 pm

I believe Ardbeg Mor was the Feis Ile bottling, intended to tie in with this year's Ardbeg theme, which was "big" or "Ardbig" (in an Argyll accent, Ardbeg and Ardbig sound exactly the same), Mor being gaelic for big.
Dangerous_Dave

Postby Spirit of Islay » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:00 pm

The Mor was always going to be for the 10th Birthday , they released 50 early for the festival and made the theme for the Ardbeg day "Big " , maybe they should have went for WET instead......
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:15 pm

Dangerous_Dave wrote:I believe Ardbeg Mor was the Feis Ile bottling, intended to tie in with this year's Ardbeg theme, which was "big" or "Ardbig" (in an Argyll accent, Ardbeg and Ardbig sound exactly the same), Mor being gaelic for big.

...And "beg" being Gaelic for "small"...how confusing and contradictory! Those guys are bad. And that's good.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder