Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Any" Cap top" Uigeadail available?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Any" Cap top" Uigeadail available?

Postby MrAwesome » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:40 am

Can anyone give some info on where I could possibly obtain a bottle or two of the older Uigeadail "cap top" Ardbeg? I've heard it's better than the current bottlings. Most of the retailer website photos show the former box. Thanks :?:
MrAwesome

Postby trs94 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:58 pm

There are a few at the distillery (as of earlier this week)...but when I asked they said there was no difference, other than the old packaging was too expensive.

Todd
trs94

Postby shoganai » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:03 pm

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "cap top". Could you be a little more descriptive, or post a link to a picture? I bought a bottle about two months ago and the cardboard box it came is has what could be considered a "cap".
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:31 pm

Hi guys hope this picture helps. The carton on the left is the older style cap type carton. The carton on the right is the new packing. Very boring in comparison.

:thumbsup:
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:37 pm

Mine is the cap version, and I'm almost positive they had several more in stock. PM me for more info.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:42 pm

i was wondering what he was on about with the cap top referance.... now i know and both my versions have the cap top :thumbsup:

you can clearly see the non cap top box would be less expensive to produce than the cap top versions.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Difference

Postby Sherbs » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:40 pm

I just bought a couple bottles and went to four stores on the weekend all with the cap top. Now you've got me curious about the difference. Anybody know where in Calgary I can find the other style?
Sherbs

Postby bond » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:25 am

But how would the design of the cardboard box impact taste of the liquid? Or is it just the "sexiness" of the design that we are talking about?
bond
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:29 am

bond wrote:But how would the design of the cardboard box impact taste of the liquid? Or is it just the "sexiness" of the design that we are talking about?

Bond the bottles are the same. The whisky will have come from different casks. However I'm sure the good people at Ardbeg have done their best to keep it consisitent. Although I think some have preferred the older versions to the newer. I think the main thing that is desirable is the packaging.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Leither » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:18 am

Apparently, the flip-top box contained old (from the 70's) oloroso casks in the mix, the newer style contained (from the later 70's) fino casks.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby peat-chaser » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:45 am

Well the box is only one point to devide older and newer batches.
The older batches wear a small aditional label on the backside of the bottle´s
neck with the text "bottled 2003" oder "bottled 2004". Since the botteling of
2005 there are no 'neck-labels' anymore.
I didn´t try the "bottled 2004", but I hab a parallel tasting of "2003" and the
new one and I can tell you the older is highly preferable, because in this batch
malts matured in sherry-casks destilled before the closing of ardbeg in 1981
are used, which doesn´t happen any longer.
peat-chaser
Bronze Member

Any Cap Top Uigeadial available?

Postby MrAwesome » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:31 pm

Leither & Peat Chaser- Thanks for the backround info. Now I know what the differences are between the earlier and later bottlings. If I can locate any of the earlier stuff, I could do my own tasting. :thumbsup:
MrAwesome

Postby peat-chaser » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:12 am

Hi Mr Awesome,

good luck!!
peat-chaser
Bronze Member

Postby shoganai » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:52 pm

peat-chaser wrote:Well the box is only one point to devide older and newer batches.
new one and I can tell you the older is highly preferable, because in this batch

Interesting info. However, I was a little too excited when opening this one, and ended up tearing off all the foil from around the neck. Now I can't tell what year it was bottled, or if there was even such a label there in the first place. :(

I'm inclined to say there was not one, as I generally notice stuff like that. But as I said, I was pretty excited to try this one, so who knows.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby pavv » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:19 pm

shoganai wrote:Interesting info. However, I was a little too excited when opening this one, and ended up tearing off all the foil from around the neck. Now I can't tell what year it was bottled, or if there was even such a label there in the first place. :(

Of course you can!

On the back of the bottle at the bottom there is a very small and hard to read code on the glass of the bottle (small black letters on dark green glas....)

It looks something like L4 234....... and the answer is quite simple: if it says L4 it is a 2004 bottle.

L5 = 2005
L6 = 2006

L3 = do the math! :thumbsup:
pavv

Uigedail 2003

Postby plainly jane » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:57 pm

Now I will share my ignorance with you. When did Ardbeg first start bottling their Uigedail line? What is the Oogling that seems to be so famous?
Thanks.

plainly jane
plainly jane
Bronze Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:49 pm

My understanding is that the Uigeadail first appeared in 2003 and says "bottled in the year 2003" on the back label (and back of box?). This bottle as well as the second edition in 2004 "bottled in the year 2004" used older sherry casks from the 70's with the result that many have remarked that this new Uigeadail was truly something special. Later bottlings such as the 2005 and 2006 do not indicate bottling year on the back label nor do not seem to have used the older/better sherry casks from the 1970s. Some on the forum, myself included, are of the opinion that the these later bottles are not as wonderfully balanced or as good as the 2003/4. However, I have had later bottles that were still quite good.

One can go to whiskyauction.com and in the “Results” ..."History 2005-2007"....”History Islay A-B” ..find pictures of the older Uigeadail bottles.

The "more famous Oogling" may be the 2003 (probably the hardest to find now). Or you might be thinking of the Committee Reserve Young Uigeadail that was bottled in 2006 and which is quite a bit more expensive and a much more limited release.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:01 am

pavv wrote:Of course you can!

On the back of the bottle at the bottom there is a very small and hard to read code on the glass of the bottle (small black letters on dark green glas....)

It looks something like L4 234....... and the answer is quite simple: if it says L4 it is a 2004 bottle.

L5 = 2005
L6 = 2006

L3 = do the math! :thumbsup:

Thanks pavv. The knowledge of this board never ceases to amaze me.

I'm an "L5". So I guess I have one of the newer versions despite the captop.

Sorry MrAwesome, looks like I gave you a dead lead.

Great stuff nonetheless, and now I'm curious to get my hands on an older bottle.
shoganai
Silver Member

Ugedail

Postby plainly jane » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:14 pm

Yes, Shoganai, the knowledge of those on the forum seems vast indeed.

Thanks Ardbeg311 for the information regarding the Uigedails. I have bottle of Ardbeg 2003 (no label on the neck but one on the back of the bottle) in the flip-top box. It does not say anything about Committee Reserve Young Uigedail. Is this an"Oogling" or just one of the first Uigedails on the market?

jane
plainly jane
Bronze Member

Postby bjorn » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:03 am

peat-chaser wrote:Well the box is only one point to devide older and newer batches.

Maybe it's just the 2003 bottles with the neck band, because I've got a 2004 without one. The back of the (cap top) box and back label both read "bottled in the year 2004" and the bottle has the "L4" etching. Could anyone provide a picture of the neck-label?

Bjorn
bjorn
Bronze Member

Re: Any" Cap top" Uigeadail available?

Postby Sherried Malt » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:27 pm

MrAwesome wrote:Can anyone give some info on where I could possibly obtain a bottle or two of the older Uigeadail "cap top" Ardbeg?

Mr. A, I saw a couple of bottles in a liquor store on the Town Green in Guilford, CT called Frank's Package Store. (203-453-2259) I believe the price was $75, but don't hold me to it..

Not affiliated with the store, etc. I stumbled upon a bottle of Balblair 16 yo there this weekend. :o

Good luck!
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Re: Ugedail

Postby Ardbeg311 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:26 pm

plainly jane wrote:Yes, Shoganai, the knowledge of those on the forum seems vast indeed.

Thanks Ardbeg311 for the information regarding the Uigedails. I have bottle of Ardbeg 2003 (no label on the neck but one on the back of the bottle) in the flip-top box. It does not say anything about Committee Reserve Young Uigedail. Is this an"Oogling" or just one of the first Uigedails on the market?

jane

I am pretty sure now that the "Oogling" is the special Committe Reserve Young Uigeadail and not the 2003 1st edition Uigeadail.

Sherried Malt, are those confirmed "bottle in the year 2004" bottles? Or just Uigeadails with the cap-top box?
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:04 am

I can't help it, every time I read the title of this thread, I read "Andy Cap Uigeadail"
Lawrence
Matured cask

Re: Ugedail

Postby Sherried Malt » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:04 am

Ardbeg311 wrote:Sherried Malt, are those confirmed "bottle in the year 2004" bottles? Or just Uigeadails with the cap-top box?

Don't know. I just saw the boxes on the shelf and remembered this thread. Didn't check further. I'm sure the shop can answer your question tho...
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder