Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Lagavulin - price rise?

General chat and talk about whisky.

Lagavulin - price rise?

Postby RufusA » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:39 pm

A couple of years ago you used to be able to find most of the "classic malts" in UK supermarkets for around £20 - 25 a bottle, with Lagavulin typically being priced at £2 above Talisker.

Having not had a bottle of Lagavulin in a while I thought I'd buy a bottle in passing from my local Tesco.

Dalwinnie £25 - check, Talisker £24 - check, Caol Ila £25 - check

Lagavulin ...................... £37 :shock: :evil:

Is this an artificial price hike prior to £10 off discount round the corner. Or is this what Lagavulin costs nowadays.

When did Lagavulin go all premiumised?

Rufus (sans Lagavulin)
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:52 pm

Sixteen years ago, Lagavulin was only operating two days per week - I think that's the reason they give for the price.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:12 pm

And with the emerging markets, and general world popularity of whisky, these so called standard whiskies will become quite special in the future, and prices are sure to rise for many other well-loved whiskies!! Sad but true.
Di Blasi

Postby les taylor » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:44 pm

Di Blasi wrote:And with the emerging markets, and general world popularity of whisky, these so called standard whiskies will become quite special in the future, and prices are sure to rise for many other well-loved whiskies!! Sad but true.

I guess stock up now if you see them on offer as they are from time to time. Rufus is right though it's quite a price difference from the other classic malts. What with the mortgage rate going up again I'll just have bang out a few more headboards.

:(
les taylor

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:06 pm

les taylor wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:And with the emerging markets, and general world popularity of whisky, these so called standard whiskies will become quite special in the future, and prices are sure to rise for many other well-loved whiskies!! Sad but true.

I'll just have bang out a few more headboards.

:(

Go Les!!
Yes, stocking up is a great idea, especially with whisky like that, one can never have too much!!
Di Blasi

Postby RufusA » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:09 pm

les taylor wrote:...I'll just have bang out a few more headboards.

Is that a euphemism? I think Mrs Les needs to be fore-warned!

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:12 pm

for as long as i can remember Laga has always been priced above the rest ...... In the Early 1990's i remember Asda having the Classic malts "2 Bottles for £30" , No chance of ever seeing that again ! Funny enough laga was always sold out .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:21 pm

RufusA wrote:
les taylor wrote:...I'll just have bang out a few more headboards.

Is that a euphemism? I think Mrs Les needs to be fore-warned!

Rufus.

Rufus Mrs Les knows. She loves it when i'm making headboards. It's good money. I wish the interior designers I work for gave me more. But everything we do is commissioned work. So it's down to the wants of the clients.

:thumbsup:
les taylor

Postby Ganga » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:33 pm

Oh, about three years ago I could get the Laga 16 for $36 US. Now it is typically $65-80 at the places with the best whisky prices.

PS. There is one local shop running a sale at $50; this just may require a trip :lol:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:29 pm

In 2000 the exchange rate was 3:2. Currently, it is running about 2:1. The jump in price occurred about the time both Springbank and Macallan made major leaps in pricing about 2 to 3 years ago and about the time we started seeing the increased distillery expressions of both Caol Ila and Talisker here in So Cal. Dalmore 12 is still about the same ($20-26 with some small store being about $40) as it was 10 years ago. Glenlivet and Glenfiddich have only risen moderately over the last 10 years (about $3-4).

The story I've been told is that they wanted to decrease the pressure - consumption of Lagavulin. If there is truth to the statement, I'm happy because it has brought forth that wonderful selection of whiskies.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby killerwhale » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:19 am

Laga 16 in my neck of the woods is $100 Canadian (a jump of about $5 in the last month).... it's tough as it's one of my favs but as the price climbs I look to other whiskies..... I suppose it's good for lowering consumption but..... darn it all, I want to be able to consider this malt a buy when I go into the store, not just look at the bottle and think 'I wish'. :evil: :twisted:
anyway, maybe it's just for rich folk out here to drink regularily.... :headbang:
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby mithril » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:11 am

killerwhale wrote:Laga 16 in my neck of the woods is $100 Canadian

It's about $80/bottle in Calgary, just stock up on a couple next time you're out in AB.
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby WestVanDave » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:47 am

mithril wrote:
killerwhale wrote:Laga 16 in my neck of the woods is $100 Canadian

It's about $80/bottle in Calgary, just stock up on a couple next time you're out in AB.

Willow Park in Calgary had it on sale for $66 Cdn. when I was last there (a couple of weeks ago)*

(* This price did not require any hazing rituals and no midget ponies were harmed in the pricing of this Laga... see related Calgary pricing in the "recent purchases" thread.)
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby shoganai » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:41 pm

I picked up a bottle of Laga 16 for about $50 when I was in CT last week, which is cheaper than I ever remember seeing it (I don't even think it was a sale price).

In PA it goes for about $70.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:07 pm

They charge that much because they can.
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:27 pm

thats right tattie, they chare what folk will pay for it, if folk think it too much they should all stop buying it that would send a message to diageo it would be over priced, but they dpont, folk keep buying at that price and would do even higher, so really, you cant blame them for it.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby ApriliaKen » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:20 pm

When I toured Lagavulin in May they were operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Demand worldwide is phenomenal and there's no scope for increasing production further.

Massive demand sets the high price - and it's still well worth it for what is consistently the best dram.

As an aside, I've been told in a couple of shops that they have 5-year-old "Lagavulin" that they can't call Lagavulin and it's sold under a generic name... well, as I understand it, Lagavulin don't sell to anyone else. And the only Lagavulin that's available is sold under its own name. Not sure where that leaves Black Bottle, however...
ApriliaKen

Postby Quaichuser » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Visited my friendly neighbourhood LCBO yesterday and the Lag 16 was $93.50 while the Lag 12 was $112.00. :o

Mind you, the Lag 12 looked like a real deal sitting next to the Macallan 18 at $280.00 :shock: :shock:
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:36 pm

ApriliaKen wrote:As an aside, I've been told in a couple of shops that they have 5-year-old "Lagavulin" that they can't call Lagavulin and it's sold under a generic name... well, as I understand it, Lagavulin don't sell to anyone else. And the only Lagavulin that's available is sold under its own name. Not sure where that leaves Black Bottle, however...

That would be the Signatory Vintage 5yo Islay, available in both 40% and cask-strength versions, often rumored to be Lagavulin. As we've discussed here on numerous occasions, such rumors are to be viewed with a certain amount of suspicion. Those who are pushing products such as this like to promote the idea that it's Lagavulin, because Lagavulin is very popular. I suspect most such are actually Caol Ila, which the average punter looking for a budget bottle of smoke has never heard of. Of course, I don't know what the Sig is, really, and I'm sure there's a lot more 5yo Lagavulin available now than 16yo; but if I had to bet, that's what I'd guess. Does it really matter? The cs bottle, at least, is a fine one for anyone who thinks he just can't get enough peat, and needs a good slap upside the head with a sledgehammer.

Deactivated Member

Re: Lagavulin - price rise?

Postby scruffy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:47 pm

Apparently Tesco have bought all this ears stock of 16yr Lagavulin, monopolising the market allowing them to put the price up. Has anyone else heard the same?
scruffy

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:42 pm

I couldn't agree more with Mr.T on the Laga issue. It is extremely unlikely that these unspecified bottles are Lagavulin. You just have to ask yourself why the distillery would be releasing casks for IBs to sell cheap. It makes no sense.

scruffy wrote:Apparently Tesco have bought all this ears stock of 16yr Lagavulin, monopolising the market allowing them to put the price up. Has anyone else heard the same?

I haven't heard that rumour scruffy and I can't see why Diageo would want to place one of their premium brands at the mercy of a supermarket and lose control of its pricing. What's the source of the rumour?
Willie JJ

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:06 pm

scruffy wrote:Apparently Tesco have bought all this ears stock of 16yr Lagavulin, monopolising the market allowing them to put the price up. Has anyone else heard the same?

I just couldn't see Diageo doing this........
Has this come from the same place as the......
(a) Distilleries Burn't Down.....
(b) The Distillery is to be turned into a museum......
(c) The Lade's run dry........
(d) A tidal wave wiped out the distillery.......

Ok i made up the last one but the previous 3 were all "Rumours" to be found on the internet about shortages of Laga over the years , most of them came from "shopkeepers" across the pond (presumably to bump up sales.....) !
We combined a few at the time (on an old disbanded forum ) to have the story that the distillery caught fire but there was no water to put it out in the lade but fortunately a tidal wave struck , put out the fire and UDV made it into a museum !

ApriliaKen wrote:
As an aside, I've been told in a couple of shops that they have 5-year-old "Lagavulin" that they can't call Lagavulin and it's sold under a generic name... well, as I understand it, Lagavulin don't sell to anyone else. And the only Lagavulin that's available is sold under its own name. Not sure where that leaves Black Bottle, however...

Wish i had a pound for everytime i've been told that an un-named malt is a Laga ! I've been saying the same as Mr TH for years (and getting shot down for it ) , it is most likely a Caol Ila , Laga aren't going to sell valuable stock and it sounds (and looks) better when they say it's a Laga , just like people would be more likely to buy an un-named malt if a shopkeeper / website said it was an Ardbeg.......
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:39 pm

Hi there,

well gentlemen I do not want to shock you but according to my retailer Diageo will rise the price of the Lagavulin 16 yo here in Germany about 5% in July/August and again coming autumn/fall.

I can not remember the rate of this second rise but together it will be around 15-20%.

I do not think they will confine themselves to Germany. Nor to the 16 yo. And most probably not to Lagavulin either I am afraid.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:05 pm

RufusA wrote:A couple of years ago you used to be able to find most of the "classic malts" in UK supermarkets for around £20 - 25 a bottle, with Lagavulin typically being priced at £2 above Talisker.

Having not had a bottle of Lagavulin in a while I thought I'd buy a bottle in passing from my local Tesco.

Dalwinnie £25 - check, Talisker £24 - check, Caol Ila £25 - check

Lagavulin ...................... £37 :shock: :evil:

Is this an artificial price hike prior to £10 off discount round the corner. Or is this what Lagavulin costs nowadays.

When did Lagavulin go all premiumised?

Rufus (sans Lagavulin)

I would not mind I think this is cheap :o

It roughly equates to about 47Euro but it's 75Euro here if you can find it :evil:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:22 pm

I suppose one way you could look at it (and Diageo probably do....) is that the Lagavulin is a 16yo , hence the higher price than the CI 12 etc . Diageos probably been look along the road at the Superior 16yo ANB and going green at the price it's fetching and will try and bring the Laga into line with it .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Re:

Postby RyanFantastic » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:01 pm

Quaichuser wrote:Visited my friendly neighbourhood LCBO yesterday and the Lag 16 was $93.50 while the Lag 12 was $112.00. :o

Mind you, the Lag 12 looked like a real deal sitting next to the Macallan 18 at $280.00 :shock: :shock:

yikes! I've complained before, but here in B.C. Lagavulin 16 is $125 :shock: :evil:
Strangely though, the 12yr is cheaper at around $115...

sigh...
RyanFantastic

Postby Bulkington » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:59 pm

Lag 16 is available here for $54:

http://www.astorwines.com/SearchResults ... =lagavulin

The only 12 yo I've seen in NY goes for $150! I passed up a 12 yo in Chicago for $100.
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:57 pm

It should be no surprise that Laga prices are rising. There is no doubt that Diageo can sell more Laga than they have so prices are rising; that's a no brainer.

But its more than just Lagavulin. Whisky prices are rising across the board and people have been predicting it for long enough. The demand for blends already means that quite a few less established malts that had an official presence only in the F&F range have been withdrawn by Diageo (Mortlach, Benrinnes, Daluaine, etc.). This just puts further pressure on the stocks of those that remain and prices are rising.

On top of this the independents are finding it increasingly difficult to source casks and are increasingly aware of the value of the casks that they hold. As a result, prices are ... well you get the idea.

I hate to be a prophet of doom, but if you think prices are bad now I believe they are only going to get worse. Of course at some point in the future the rapidly increasing production that is taking place just now may outstrip demand, if tastes change and/or if the global economy takes a downturn, but in the short to medium term I fear we are in for it with regard to rising prices.

Not fun :(
Willie JJ

Postby Gov » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:39 pm

This sucks!!!! Just as I was just starting to get into whisk(e)y! Oh well, life is to short not to enjoy what we like!
Gov
Gold Member

Re: Re:

Postby Knolly » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:31 am

RyanFantastic wrote:
Quaichuser wrote:Visited my friendly neighbourhood LCBO yesterday and the Lag 16 was $93.50 while the Lag 12 was $112.00. :o

yikes! I've complained before, but here in B.C. Lagavulin 16 is $125 :shock: :evil:
Strangely though, the 12yr is cheaper at around $115...

sigh...

I think this is because the Laga 12YO in the BCLDB is from the 2005 Diageo Special Release, so the price hasn't risen yet (there are still over 100 of these bottles kicking around in BC). When the BCLDB buys the next batch of 12YO Lagavulin, I'm pretty sure that the prices will be significantly higher. I would say, get it now while it's "cheap" - for all of BC's crazy liquor prices, the Laga 12YO is one of the few deals to be had here. I picked up a couple recently just to "have" :) keep an eye on the stock levels through the BC liquor stores website and once it starts getting low, it would probably be worth grabbing one or a few if you like the 12 CS Lagavulin.

Cheers!
Knolly
Silver Member

Re: Re:

Postby RyanFantastic » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:08 pm

Knolly wrote:
I think this is because the Laga 12YO in the BCLDB is from the 2005 Diageo Special Release, so the price hasn't risen yet (there are still over 100 of these bottles kicking around in BC). When the BCLDB buys the next batch of 12YO Lagavulin, I'm pretty sure that the prices will be significantly higher. I would say, get it now while it's "cheap" - for all of BC's crazy liquor prices, the Laga 12YO is one of the few deals to be had here. I picked up a couple recently just to "have" :) keep an eye on the stock levels through the BC liquor stores website and once it starts getting low, it would probably be worth grabbing one or a few if you like the 12 CS Lagavulin.

Cheers!

I agree, it's only a matter of time before we see the 12yr jump to something crazy. I have a bottle in the wings, but I think I will heed yr advice and pick up another bottle or two before things change. for the worse.

I will definitely be stocking up on the 16yr next time I'm out of province.
RyanFantastic

Postby Ryguy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:41 pm

I was just notified of about a 14.5% increase in the price of Lagavulin 16 here. Just went from $64.56 (after tax) to $73.48. It was bound to happen, and I'm sure it'll go up again by the end of this year. I'll continue to buy it, as it's still worth it for me.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby mattias » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:06 pm

Interesting to see the prices in other countries!
In Sweden the price for Laga 16 is about €57 with today's currency rate. Gone up €2 during the last year.

Perhaps we'll see this trend also for other whiskies.
I've been thinking of buying a couple of HP18, since the price for this bottling has been the same for some years now (£52).
mattias

Postby objetti » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:43 pm

mattias wrote:Interesting to see the prices in other countries!
In Sweden the price for Laga 16 is about €57 with today's currency rate. Gone up €2 during the last year.

Perhaps we'll see this trend also for other whiskies.
I've been thinking of buying a couple of HP18, since the price for this bottling has been the same for some years now (£52).

€52 it should be (499SEK) in Sweden (a price that is among the lowest in Europe)
objetti
Bronze Member

Postby Steve Rush » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:10 pm

Over the weekend went into my local Sainsbury's and shock horror Lag 16 has now gone up to £40. I wanted to pick up a couple of bottles but at that price I thought I'd look elsewhere locally or failing that online.

I had a light bulb moment and also remembered that my local Costco sell Lag 16 on occassion. So there I went, fighting through the weekend crowds. I arrived at the whisky section and low and behold there was the Lag price label with a very lovely £34 inc vat. Only problem being there were no bottles, they were out of stock.

I enquired about availability and the next delivery of Lag but they simply had no idea if and when they will get any more.

I have there number and will call at the end of the week and hopefully they will get some more in.
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Next

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder