Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Forget taste... which has the best aroma?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which malt has your favourite aroma?

Highland Park
9%
Laphroaig
12%
Lagavulin
38%
Caol Ila
12%
Port Ellen
3%
Macallan
3%
Bruichladdich
No votes
Glenmorangie
No votes
Aberlour
6%
Clynelish
3%
Brora
No votes
Balblair
No votes
Longmorn
3%
Other
12%

Total votes : 34

Forget taste... which has the best aroma?

Postby Scotched » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:39 pm

I love the peaty Islay whiskies. Laphroaig and Lagavulin especially... But when it comes to aromas, for me, there is nothing better than Highland Park. Its exactly as it says on the 'tin'. Bonfire smoke and teasing heather honey...

What gets your taste buds going?
Scotched

Postby orangedogofglory » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:45 pm

Everytime I pull out the cork on my Laphroaig 15 its like I get a punch in the face. But in a good way, like Fight Club.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby Scotched » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:54 pm

orangedogofglory wrote:Everytime I pull out the cork on my Laphroaig 15 its like I get a punch in the face. But in a good way, like Fight Club.

I adore the 15... Its strangely under-rated by aficionados though... I don't understand why? Its the 10 but enriched by the extra 5 years. The harsh corners have all been smoothed out. A luxurious drink.
Scotched

Postby Sherbs » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:29 pm

Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish is quite nice aroma but I am not a huge fan of the taste. So I nose that and drink my laddies :dead: :empty:
Sherbs

Postby Scotchio » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:13 am

I loved the aroma of my last Caol Ila, a wee dram 12yr old, not especially complex but really lovely with that distinctive caol ila peat note and a rich grassiness
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:18 am

When I nose Lagavulin, I remmember what (and why) I feel in love with the hobby in the first place.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:09 am

The first time I smelled the Ardbeg Ten, I didn't want to remove my nose from it's locked position on the bottle! Same with Lagavulin, whenever I smelled it in a glass! This was all way back when whisky was new to me, I just loved the smell, and I couldn't understand what it was, or why it was, or what made me enjoy it so much. But my vote here goes for the Longmorn, since it has also become a favorite, just more recently. And the few various bottlings I've had have been favorites.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:40 am

I just can't decide on which one I like most because they all offer something fairly special and lovely - but I did vote Clynelish 14 because it took me by storm a few months ago!

Ardbeg Ten: Smoke and smell of bicycle innertubes
Bruichladdich 10: Fantastic intense overripe pears
Clynelish 14: oh so lovely almost melted sweaty marzipan
Balvenie 15: almonds!
Highland Park 18: smoke and heather honey
Caol Ila 12: smoke and peppery oilyness
Glenmorangie 10: lovely undefined spicyness
Aberlour 15 Sherry Finish: honey, toffee, cinnamon.
Laphroaig 10 CS: full smoke attack and medicinal with plenty of licorice.
Cragganmore 12: the oak married to the fruityness.

Well, these are some of my favourites.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:02 am

Drrich1965 wrote:When I nose Lagavulin, I remmember what (and why) I feel in love with the hobby in the first place.

Don't think I can pick a favorite, but it was Lagavulin's nose, reminding me of Highland peat fires, that got me revved up, too.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:05 am

orangedogofglory wrote:Everytime I pull out the cork on my Laphroaig 15 its like I get a punch in the face. But in a good way, like Fight Club.

Now there's a new member with a distinctive name (whatever it means)! May we call you "odog"?

(Not sure I can agree about there being a good way to get punched in the face, though....)
Deactivated Member

Postby shoganai » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:24 am

I'm going to withhold my vote for the time being, but the best whisky I ever smelt was a D&M Longmorn 31. It was like a ripe fruit salad dressed with honey.

The Balblair 26 I recently tried smelled pretty damn good too.

As does Highland Park 18.

And Lagavulin 16.

And Laphroaig 15.

And Ardbeg 10.

And Glenlivet 18.

I don't think I could pick a single favorite distillery.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:49 am

shoganai wrote:I'm going to withhold my vote for the time being, but the best whisky I ever smelt was a D&M Longmorn 31. It was like a ripe fruit salad dressed with honey.

That D and M Longmorn did have a mighty fine nose. Perhaps a bit of dryness from the oak on the mouth and finish away from greatness, but what a nose.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:59 pm

No competition .... Laga 16yo ...

I've said it before ... if I walk out of ther room, when I come back awhile later I can just get that leathery toasty smoke ..... it fills the room like no other whisky.

:thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Dubois » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:41 pm

I would go for Highland Park.
As for the Islay's I would choose for Laga 12 :!:
Dubois

Postby Steve Rush » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:56 pm

I would have to agree with others that indeed Highland Park is particularly pleasing on the nose. Even with a bottle of the 12yr I get a whole flow of different notes, from the smell of a just unwrapped bar of Fry's Chocolate Cream, Toffee Apples and the smell of a freshly baked bakewell tart. The list goes on as it's an ubundantly pleaseing dram both on the nose and indeed on the palate.

I have also noticed over the last few years that there are whisky's that offer a lot on the nose and very little on the palate. Glenfiddich 12 for example. Once you have a glass that has had the air get to it for five minutes or so there are an abundance of things going on nose wise. Then you take a sip and often wonder were the nose and taste from the same dram.
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:32 pm

Balblair 38 is superlative on the nose - as is Glenrothes 72.
For my money though, HP25 just encapsulates everything that's good about SMW.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:32 pm

I'm curious about those that voted other. I did. Knockando is just one of those noses that I like. I drift off into field full of long grass and flowers and don't want to leave. Now I will say that the palate leaves me wanting something more but the bouquet is top notch even in the 12 yo.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Quaichuser » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:06 am

Of the group, the Lag always does it for me. I can just sit and sniff it without having to taste it. What it does to the senses is incredible. Many times I will put my DE in a snifter to do just that.

I do drink it eventually though. :)
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:53 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:

Now there's a new member with a distinctive name (whatever it means)! May we call you "odog"?

(Not sure I can agree about there being a good way to get punched in the face, though....)

I somehow missed your direct question to me. odog is perfectly fine - in the other post on what you drank last night I reference how the name is derived from my dog. It's a slightly tongue in cheek name, but meant as a good spirited reference to the little guy.

Something about the Laphroaig... not a punch in the face that hurts, its just intense. While the drink is quite enjoyable, the very first time I pulled that cork I though "this will be a challenge." It was rather exciting.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:55 am

Drrich1965 wrote:
shoganai wrote:I'm going to withhold my vote for the time being, but the best whisky I ever smelt was a D&M Longmorn 31. It was like a ripe fruit salad dressed with honey.

That D and M Longmorn did have a mighty fine nose. Perhaps a bit of dryness from the oak on the mouth and finish away from greatness, but what a nose.

Agreed. My notes indicate that I found the taste & finish to be a bit of a letdown after the super-high expectations set by the nose. Good, but not quite as good. I spent considerably more time sniffing this one than any other whisky.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby ccrank.freeserve.co.uk » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:44 pm

Lagavulin 16 does it for me eveytime. Liked the aroma of Glenfiddich Toasted Oak and was looking forward to the taste Oh dear! bit of a let down .
ccrank.freeserve.co.uk

Postby bond » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:11 pm

How could u even think of having non-Islay options ? :P
bond
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:13 am

I think many Islay whiskies do 'it' for me. I won't choose one but many.... as soon as I smell them I know and the bigger, the better... :thumbsup:
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:38 pm

The aroma coming out of a glass that's had Springbank 32 yo in it is AMAZING! It fills the entire room. I'd buy a bottle just for that... Lucky it's a great whisky too!
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder