Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbed 10 yr or Ardbeg Uigeagail or 1979 Suggestion

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Ardbed 10 yr or Ardbeg Uigeagail or 1979 Suggestion

Postby Lillyburn » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:41 pm

Saw the Ardbeg post below and hope you all can give your thoughts.....

Looking for some advice for a very special birthday gift.
My friend and I love the Ardbeg 10yr but are uncertain how the Uigeagail would taste. My friend (whose birthday it will be for) likes the Ardbeg 10 due to the peatiness but that it also has a very bearable smooth finish... I like it a lot myself.

I'd love some personal experiences of what you have enjoyed between those two.

Also any Whiskys that are from 1979 as well that are an Islay could also be an idea since my friend was born in 79???

Thanks as always. Tracey
Lillyburn

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:45 pm

Answered on the Q&A page.
Deactivated Member

Re: Ardbed 10 yr or Ardbeg Uigeagail or 1979 Suggestion

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:19 pm

Lillyburn wrote:Saw the Ardbeg post below and hope you all can give your thoughts.....

My friend and I love the Ardbeg 10yr but are uncertain how the Uigeagail would taste. My friend (whose birthday it will be for) likes the Ardbeg 10 due to the peatiness but that it also has a very bearable smooth finish... I like it a lot myself.

Also any Whiskys that are from 1979 as well that are an Islay could also be an idea since my friend was born in 79???

Thanks as always. Tracey

If you say where you are located, it might help us in directing you to some web based stores, or help search for you.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:24 pm

Rather than the Uigeadail, If your freind is looking for a peaty and/or smoky scotch, I'd get a Lagavulin 16. Its less money than the Uigeadail and I seriously doubt that your friend would be disapointed.

However if you are stuck on getting the Uigeadail, remember it's the 'cask strength' Ardbeg and is a little more 'spirity' tasting than the Ardbeg 10.

I really like both, so either way you are going to end up with a great scotch. I hope I was able to help with your decision.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:29 pm

I like the Ellenstown 10 myself (reportedly Ardbeg).

Ok, I've looked up a few things from my list. I prefer the Beist to the Oogie. The best 1979 Islay I had was the MMM 1979 Lagavulin 23 yo although some think it is a bit overpowering. I did like the Signatory 1979 Bunnahabhain 21 yo too. The others ones from 1979, not so much.

As suggested, I believe you will get more value from the Lagavulin 16 than the Oogie.

Whatever your choice, enjoy.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:12 pm

the cask strength ardbeg is better than the 10yo in my opinion, but if you can get an OB 1977, nectar of the gods....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:32 pm

vitara7 wrote:the cask strength ardbeg is better than the 10yo in my opinion, but if you can get an OB 1977, nectar of the gods....

Can't Be ! Because Provenance .......or 1972 ......or 1973 is ! :P :wink: :thumbsup:
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:51 pm

ill have to either hold my hands up or hang my head in shame SOI, but i havent tried either. :oops: altough my personal fav tasted ardbeg is the 2006 feis ile bottle.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Lillyburn » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:00 pm

To answer where I am from: I am from Huntington Beach, CA.. I am fortunate enough to have Hi-Time Wine Cellars right next to me who have been exceptionally fabulous to me.. But certainly also interested in other places to look.

Originally from Kirkintilloch, Scotland though. <3
Lillyburn

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:51 pm

Lagavulin 16 would be well worth considering. Might be time to spead your wings :angel:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:50 pm

vitara7 wrote:nectar of the gods....

Have you been reading my scale again? :smoke:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:51 pm

ryguy wrote:Rather than the Uigeadail, If your freind is looking for a peaty and/or smoky scotch, I'd get a Lagavulin 16. Its less money than the Uigeadail and I seriously doubt that your friend would be disapointed.

The difference in price is miniscule, since Lagavulin's price took off a few years ago.

I would go for the Uigeadail as it is extra strength and has more complexity than than the Lagavulin.

My mum describes the oogie as being luxurious in taste.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:13 am

"I never met an Ardbeg I didn't like."

-Will Rogers

PS If this helps - I love Lagavulin 16. But Ardbeg 10 kinda took over as my most regular islay - and the Oogie is like the 10 on steroids. Lagavulin IMO is a different(but related!) smoother trip.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:31 am

The good and the bad about choices like this is that there is really no wrong answer.

Personally, I think you should go with the Oogie because it's more closely related to the Ardbeg 10 which you've already enjoyed together (which I think it a characteristic of a good gift).

But if it's peat & smooth you're looking for, Lagavulin 16 will deliver.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby corbuso » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:10 am

Lillyburn wrote:Saw the Ardbeg post below and hope you all can give your thoughts.....

Thanks as always. Tracey

From 1979, there are many excellent Caol Ila, a few good Bunnabhain and some hard to find lagavulin. 1979 was also a very good year for Port Ellen.
If you like the Ardbeg Ten, the Uigedail should do well
Corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:12 am

I really like the Ardbeg 10 and the Ardbeg Beastie, but I had the Ardbeg Oogie last night for the first time at the DunAlistair Hotel Whisky Bar and was really disappointed because I'd been looking forward to trying it for some time.

Thankfully I only bought a dram instead of the bottle! Even trying to water it down didn't help much!!
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby SteveLevin » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:31 pm

Skip the Uigedail and go straight to the 25 year old "Lord of the Isles" :)

Just had a dram last night, I do love it.

Steve
SteveLevin

Postby Les Paul » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:20 am

I just bought a bottle of Ardbeg Uigedeail and I find it to be remarkable. I still think that Lagavulin 16 is the ultimate Islay expression.
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Peatlover » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:27 pm

I would definitely get the Uigedeail - add a splash of water and the tastes just keep coming at you and coming at you.......I call it the duracell rabbit of whiskies!! It will knock your socks off!

I do enjoy the Lagavulin 16. In fact, on our first date, we went back to my husband's place to do a taste comparison between the 16 and the 12 :thumbsup: Pretty good first date!!!!!
Peatlover

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:50 am

Just reading this reminds me I haven't asted the oogie in a while...and I have a drop left.

g'night folks!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:11 am

Peatlover wrote:I would definitely get the Uigedeail - add a splash of water and the tastes just keep coming at you and coming at you.......I call it the duracell rabbit of whiskies!! It will knock your socks off!

All that money spent on advertising by the Energizer folks...wasted!

Peatlover wrote:I do enjoy the Lagavulin 16. In fact, on our first date, we went back to my husband's place to do a taste comparison between the 16 and the 12 :thumbsup: Pretty good first date!!!!!

What did your husband think about you bringing your date back to his place? (Oh, shut up, Mr Picky.) Yeah, that's a great first date...that's a great any date.
Deactivated Member

Postby Peatlover » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:41 am

yeah , yeah, yeah, Tattieheid. I knew after I posted it someone would have a wise crack! :thumbsup:

And I stand corrected :oops: - hubby just informed me we tasted the Distillers Edition and the 16 yo...... He's much better at remembering these things. I merely consume.
Peatlover

Postby bond » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:16 am

I sampled the Uigedeal on saturday night and was a trifle disappointed. A great whisky for sure, aptly described as "luxurious" by someone on this thread, rather robust body but I just did not enjoy the finish.

The finish was a lot more Spey than Islay. The "ardbeginess" was missing. This friend had called me from Royal Mile, Edinburgh before making his purchase and I had recommended the "Still Young" but he dis-regarded my advice. I think he was better off sticking to my advice.

Must say though that I had gone in with real high expectation what with MJ scoring this at 92 v/s 85 for the regular 10yo. That could hv contributed to my disappointment.

Cheers
bond
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:32 pm

Perhaps it has changed? I just mentioned in another post that I quite enjoyed the first five bottles of Uigeadail I had but the 6th isn't as good. I'm not sure if I'm just off on it right now or if it is worse. Right now I much prefer TEN, ASY, AAT and ANBeist to Uigeadail.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder