Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan CS red label vs. current triangle top

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Macallan CS red label vs. current triangle top

Postby Ardbeg311 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:30 pm

Tried looking this up in the various FAQ sections and through Search but couldn't find anything.

My question is this: Is the older Macallan CS "red label" (USA market) noticeably better/worse than the newer CS Macallan triangle top offering? I ask because I recently came across some of the red label bottles that were on sale for the same price as the newer edition. I am not really interested in collecting Macallan (and might concede that the Glenfarclas 105 or Aberlour abundh are better sherry cask strength bottles), just the taste between these two bottles.

As always, thanks!
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:00 pm

There are at least four versions of the older style bottlings. I think we've drifted to the lower alcohol contents of the various batches but none were really tried close together for good comparisons.
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: Macallan CS red label vs. current triangle top

Postby mikeymad » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:59 pm

Ardbeg311 wrote:My question is this: Is the older Macallan CS "red label" (USA market) noticeably better/worse than the newer CS Macallan triangle top offering? !

No, Macallan has been very consistent with the output of the CS as far as quality goes. My recommendation would be to get the old Red label (it is more rare) and you probably would not have the chance to try it again (without paying more for it). If you do like it, buy another one. :-)

You should be able to pick up the new versions for a while. But you are not risking anything by getting the Red label as far as quality. There is more fluctuations in the Aberlour, and the 105 has been consistent.

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Quaichuser » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:08 am

Help please!

I am introducing the Macallan CS 58.2% at my An Quaich meeting on Thursday. To the best of my knowlege it is the red label.
In all my research I have unable to come up with an age on it. Does anyone know what age this one is. :?:

Cheers and many thanks in advance for the help.
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Quaichuser » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:44 am

Quaichuser wrote:Help please!

I am introducing the Macallan CS 58.2% at my An Quaich meeting on Thursday. To the best of my knowlege it is the red label.
In all my research I have unable to come up with an age on it. Does anyone know what age this one is. :?:

Cheers and many thanks in advance for the help.

Wouldn't you know it. I spent 2 nights gathering info on the Cask Strenght and when I got to the meeting I discovered that they didn't get the CS. I ended up introducing the Fine Oak 15 yr. Wasn't that taken with it.
(See my "What did you drink last night" entry)
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder