Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

highest lowest most and least

All your whisky related questions answered here.

highest lowest most and least

Postby D`Sypher » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:28 pm

Does anybody here know of any sites that tell us all the weird facts about scottish distilleries such as the highest the lowest the biggest the smallest etc. ?
If not could anybody please tell me which is the distillery that is built on the lowest location?
D`Sypher

Re: highest lowest most and least

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:03 pm

D`Sypher wrote:Does anybody here know of any sites that tell us all the weird facts about scottish distilleries such as the highest the lowest the biggest the smallest etc. ?
If not could anybody please tell me which is the distillery that is built on the lowest location?

I don't know about such a site but the book by Misako Udo called T"he Scottish Whisky Distilleries" lists just about all facts there is to know - and more!

Håper dere har en fin sommer med litt mindre regn i Tønsberg :)
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:15 pm

The smallest used to be Edradour, at about 100,000 litres production per annum. But 'boutique' distilleries are springing up, such as Kilchoman on Islay. Their production might be even less.
Deactivated Member

Postby D`Sypher » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:40 pm

thanks for the help, but I already knew that.
The question was which distillery is situated at the lowest location.
:wink:
D`Sypher

Postby Scotchio » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:13 pm

Just guessing here but wouldnt the lowest be one of those Islay distilleries where the sea breaches the warehouses?

ie Lagavulin etc
:roll:

The highest is Dalwhinnie and the biggest is Glenfiddich by some distance if I remember rightly. Of the established distilleries Lochnagar and Benromach have a pretty low output although Edradour is still the smallest( new microdistilleries excepted)
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Rankles » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:19 pm

I thought the highest was Highland Park?

Unless you mean highest as in highest up on a hill etc.

Oh yeah, HP is the northernmost.
Rankles

Postby D`Sypher » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:51 pm

Yes, and Old Pulteney is the northernmost on the mainland, but I alredy know all this.
The only thing i need help with is the distillery located at the lowest location.
But thank you for trying.
D`Sypher

Postby RufusA » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:39 am

I'd be inclined to believe that Bowmore is one of the lowest with its warehouses famously sitting below sea level!

Though if you are looking at the stills, then the Bowmore stillhouse is set a little back, and therefore a good handful of feet above the sea level.

Bruichladdich looks like one of the lowest still houses pictorially, but it has the tallest stills on the island, so if measuring from the top of the still this might cancel itself out.

TBH who knows - it all tastes good to me!

HTH - Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby fishboy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:26 pm

Scotchio wrote: The highest is Dalwhinnie and the biggest is Glenfiddich by some distance if I remember rightly. Of the established distilleries Lochnagar and Benromach have a pretty low output although Edradour is still the smallest( new microdistilleries excepted)

I'd heard that Braeval distillery is actually about 100 feet higher than Dawlwhinnie, but as its been mothballed since 2002 maybe it doesn't count.

Fishboy
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Oliver » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:11 pm

--Most changes in Bottle shape: highland park.
--Most steep price increase (and quality decline): Macallan.
--Largest amount of gimmicky "limited" editions: The Laddie.

There is more....
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:50 pm

Oliver wrote:--Most changes in Bottle shape: highland park.
--Most steep price increase (and quality decline): Macallan.
--Largest amount of gimmicky "limited" editions: The Laddie.

There is more....

You forgot about what has happened with the Springbank prices.

You have also forgotten about Arran and the number of different "gimmicky" things they've done.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Scotchio » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:04 pm

fishboy wrote:
Scotchio wrote: The highest is Dalwhinnie and the biggest is Glenfiddich by some distance if I remember rightly. Of the established distilleries Lochnagar and Benromach have a pretty low output although Edradour is still the smallest( new microdistilleries excepted)

I'd heard that Braeval distillery is actually about 100 feet higher than Dawlwhinnie, but as its been mothballed since 2002 maybe it doesn't count.

Fishboy[/quote

I think you're right Fishboy, I'm sure I read that somewhere too. Hopefully Braeval won't be closed for too long, it's far too good to be out of operation.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:31 pm

This is becoming somewhat "anorak like", even by the standards of this forum lol !

Who cares whether a distillery's the highest, the lowest, the biggest or the smallest. If the malt's good, drink it. If not, then don't.
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotchio » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:55 am

Still size has quite an impact on the end product and Jackson has suggested that altitude can also be a factor although I think he suggests it's more to do with temperature. We're having a very wet summer in the UK !
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:47 pm

I can't believe that the height that a distillery is above sea level has much, if any, influence on maturation. And God alone knows how you'd prove it.

Even if some of the same batch was matured in a 'highland' warehouse and the remainder in a 'low lying' location, there are so many other factors - not least that no two casks are identical.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:19 pm

eelbrook wrote:I can't believe that the height that a distillery is above sea level has much, if any, influence on maturation. And God alone knows how you'd prove it.

No, probably not. As for distillation itself, things would boil at different temperatures at different altitudes, but we're not talking about huge variation here. Atmospheric pressure would vary more by the weather. But the geography of it all is interesting in itself, to some of us, anyway.

There are a number of seaside distilleries (notably those on Islay) that would be candidates for lowest, but the range would be very small, so it wouldn't much matter to anyone but Mr Picky. And maybe D'Sypher. If you're going to try to choose among them, I'd say the floor of the stillhouse would be the determining factor. But the absolute lowest might be that only by a matter of inches.
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:37 pm

eelbrook wrote:I can't believe that the height that a distillery is above sea level has much, if any, influence on maturation. And God alone knows how you'd prove it.

Even if some of the same batch was matured in a 'highland' warehouse and the remainder in a 'low lying' location, there are so many other factors - not least that no two casks are identical.

agreed, i think the style of whisky the distillery is trying to make has the most impact on the type of whisky the distillery produces.

I think Jackson claimed that distilleries in highland locations benefit fromcolder weather which is better suited to distillation allowing the production of richer cleaner whiskies.

Of course everyone knows that the low level location of the Islay distilleries enables their casks to soak up the atmosphere of salt and seaweed from the location. Most notably evident in the salty seaweedy tang of Caol Ila :thumbsup:
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:00 pm

Scotchio wrote:
eelbrook wrote:Of course everyone knows that the low level location of the Islay distilleries enables their casks to soak up the atmosphere of salt and seaweed from the location. Most notably evident in the salty seaweedy tang of Caol Ila :thumbsup:

Alas, Caol Ila apparently picks up its salty-seaweedy tang from the various mainland locations at which it is matured. None is matured on Islay itself.
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:20 pm

Hey tattie, there was an american lass on the radio today bemoaning the stereotypical view that Americans dont get irony with regard to victoria beckhams supposedly ironic but probably crap thing about moving to America.

Was she being ironic?
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:26 pm

I wondered if you were being facetious...irony doesn't do well without smileys!

My dad always said that irony is what the water tastes like when the pipes are rusty.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:09 am

Scotchio wrote:Hey tattie, there was an american lass on the radio today bemoaning the stereotypical view that Americans dont get irony with regard to victoria beckhams supposedly ironic but probably crap thing about moving to America.

Was she being ironic?

All I know is that I'm tired of the Beckhams already. What's it been, a week? Inundated on the local stations, inundated on the nation-wide stations.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:48 am

"The Laddie, the Beckhams are relegated."

Uh, speaking of The Laddie, let's return to the subject at hand:

Oliver wrote:--Largest amount of gimmicky "limited" editions: The Laddie.

What makes them gimmicky? Okay, there are some weird finishes, but most 'Laddie releases are pretty straightforward. Yes, there are lots of silly names, but that's all in fun, and besides, it helps you remember one from another. And why are they "limited" (in quotes)? Are you saying they really aren't limited? Of course they are; each one is a single vatting, never to be reproduced. I think Bruichladdich have done an extraordinarily commendable job with the stock they inherited, the vast bulk of which would have gone to the blenders had the place not closed. I for one cannot understand why some people seem to resent so much what they have done. Of the bottlings I've had (and I feel no compunction to try to buy them all), only one or two have been misses, a pretty damn good average. The rest have ranged from good to marvelous, and it's hard to argue that the stocks would have been better used in attempting to produce a few ongoing bottlings. If the stuff is not to your taste, fine, but it gets a little tiresome to hear some people seeming to tell us that it's really not to ours, either--we're just dupes of the "gimmicky" marketing.

Nobody has to buy it. End of rant.
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotchio » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:10 am

Can't argue with their marketing strategy, they certainly have a much stronger position now than they've ever had. I suppose the range of bottlings is a two handed thing, to the devotee it's a treasure trove of variations on a much loved theme, to the inquisitive passer by it's overkill and a little bewhildering, what is the true face of Bruichladdich, I'm not so sure anymore. It seems to be the direction most new owner distilleries take and if it allows them to thrive good on them.

re The Beckhams, they really are not interesting enough to maintain the level of exposure they seem to have. The whole cult of celebrity thing baffles me and leaves me cold. That said I saw about 10 mins of the Victoria Beckham thing last night and thought she was quite amusing in a gently self mocking parodic sort of way, is that post ironic Tattie? :wink:
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:04 am

Scotchio wrote:... the stereotypical view that Americans dont get irony with regard to victoria beckhams supposedly ironic but probably crap thing about moving to America.

Was she being ironic?

It's like rain on your wedding day?
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:01 pm

Nick Brown wrote:
Scotchio wrote:... the stereotypical view that Americans dont get irony with regard to victoria beckhams supposedly ironic but probably crap thing about moving to America.

Was she being ironic?

It's like rain on your wedding day?

Ha! Good one Nick!
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder