Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardmore

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Ardmore

Ardmore

Postby Bulkington » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:43 pm

I've only read about it but am intrigued. There are some G&M bottlings around town (NYC): The 1990 and the 1991, both cask strength. Opinions, general and specific, are appreciated. Thanks!
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby Scotchio » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:22 pm

I enjoyed a sample of the 1990 from bamber. Here are my notes...
N22 Sweet peat and rich malt, creammy with some orangy citrus notes
T21 Soft creamy and quite full bodied,sweet gristy peat and malt,lightly spiced with a touch of salt.
F 22 Long, mouthcoating oily peat, vanilla and spice(licorice and salt)
B22 Rich creamy and peaty, quite sweet but not overbearingly so.

Worth a crack IMHO :)
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:34 pm

I've only had one bottling from Signatory (a 10yr old), but I did like it, and I'd be open to trying more from this distillery.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:46 am

You should try and get your hands on a bottle of SMWS 66.25, which is a 22yo Ardmore bottled at 52.3%.

It's a terrific malt!

Ardmore stands out from the crowd a bit, because it uses a slightly higher level of peat in its malt than its Speyside neighbours. Also, until 2002, it was using direct-fired stills, which many acknowledge produced a richer, fuller spirit than steam-heating.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:22 pm

Hi there,

I second that, Admiral. There was/is a 1992 bottling of an Ardmore in the Un-chilfiltered Collection of Signatory my friends thougth to be an Islay malt. They would not believe me when I said it was a Speyside malt.
Ardmore is one of the fewer and fewer Highland malts made with some peat. Glen Garioch is not peated anymore since reopening after the 1997 refurbishment I was told.
Alas the 1987 from Gordon&MacPhail is a bit more on the sherried side and does not show any peat at all. So I guess that you should not pick your choice of Ardmore blind.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Bulkington » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:23 pm

Thanks, all. I'm going to see if I can find some Ardmore to taste first. The Brandy Library (NYC's largest selection) doesn't list Ardmore in their on-line menu; hopefully Keen's (NYC's second largest selection I think) has some. I may have to take a chance on a bottle.
Bulkington
Silver Member

Related whiskies : Ardmore

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder