Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

William Grant's

General chat and talk about whisky.

William Grant's

Postby Elagabalus » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:11 pm

Has anyone tried their Ale or Sherry cask whiskies? If so can you tell me what you thought of either of them. They get above average reviews by the "experts" so I am just curious as to the consensus on these blends from the forum members.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby ccrank.freeserve.co.uk » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:19 pm

Preferred Ale cask to the Sherry cask version but prefer the standard Family Reserve to them both . Always have the Family Reserve , Teachers and Black Bottle in my cupboard as my better half likes whisky and coke (i know, i know but what can you do?)and i dont mind these blends to much. Also i dont want a repeat of the incident with the 1989 Rosebank!!! .
ccrank.freeserve.co.uk

Postby bamber » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:08 pm

I'm rather fond of the ale cask. My favourite of the 3 you mention. I think Frodo likes it too.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby recordmeister » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:41 am

I bought the Ale cask last weekend when on a trip to Leeds (Sainsbury's, £12.99) as I couldn't find it anywhere in the South of England.

To put the next part in to context, my fav whiskies are Islay, and I love the Ardbeg 1977 to death, but for a regualt whisky it has to be the lagga 16 or the Ardbeg Ugi or 10.

So, back to the Ale finish. Awful. I was mortified as I love to Innis And Gunn beer that is a by-product of this whisky, but seriously, no! I was so looking forward to seeing what it tasted like (as I am a huge real ale fan too) but this is beyond a joke. You'd be better off bying 13 lottery tickets so you can stock up on proper whisky if you win!

Some whiskies I have at the back of my shelf, for special occasions (like the 1977). Some at the front for every day drinking (like the Ardbeg 10, or Highland park 12). The WG Ale finish is beyond the back of the shelf, if you know what I mean...!
recordmeister
Bronze Member

Postby killerwhale » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:16 am

recordmeister wrote:I bought the Ale cask last weekend when on a trip to Leeds (Sainsbury's, £12.99) as I couldn't find it anywhere in the South of England.

To put the next part in to context, my fav whiskies are Islay, and I love the Ardbeg 1977 to death, but for a regualt whisky it has to be the lagga 16 or the Ardbeg Ugi or 10.

So, back to the Ale finish. Awful. I was mortified as I love to Innis And Gunn beer that is a by-product of this whisky, but seriously, no! I was so looking forward to seeing what it tasted like (as I am a huge real ale fan too) but this is beyond a joke. You'd be better off bying 13 lottery tickets so you can stock up on proper whisky if you win!

Some whiskies I have at the back of my shelf, for special occasions (like the 1977). Some at the front for every day drinking (like the Ardbeg 10, or Highland park 12). The WG Ale finish is beyond the back of the shelf, if you know what I mean...!

funny post... :lol:
btw, I have not tried this whisky or the sherry cask, I did try the standard Grants FR and was not overly impressed with it, I'd not buy a bottle, so I have steered clear of the other offerings.... but I should give both a go just for the experience..... I just need to find minis :(
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:32 am

okay, I got to try the Grants Sherry Cask 40%
colour: golden amber.
nose: fruits/sherry, grain, light malt, oak, vanilla, touch of honey, light yet attractive.
palate/mouth feel: grainy bite, fruit sweetness, some oak.
finish: big grain bite, gentle fruit/sherry, sweet, touch of oak/vanilla/honey, spicey medium finish.
notes: nose is quite nice, palate/finish hold a big grain bite that overpowers the flavours a little. Spicey finish neat. Decent but I'd probably not get a bottle. If the grain/spice was toned down a little it would be pleasant. Glad to have tried this though it's not on my buy list. Maybe a whiskey like this is better served with ice &/or water??
(I tried the last sip with a touch of water and it seemed to open the nose up a bit and calm the bite..... I usually prefer whisky neat but perhaps I'll have to get another mini & try with ice).
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:17 pm

I like the Grant's Ale Cask better but I found this to be drinkable...but not enjoyable...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder