Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Classification of Malts

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Classification of Malts

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:23 pm

I found this classification of scotch online, see link below. And I'm just wonder what some others think of it. I certainly don't have enough experience with all the distilleries mentioned to form an educated opinion, but I have my doubts....Looking at Group A which has Laphroiag group with Scapa ?

http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jhb/whisky ... /text.html
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:58 pm

My goodness...someone with an overanalytical mind had too much time on their hands. I'd say that one's pretty much useless, Johnyy.
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotchio » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:33 pm

Bloody Scientists! Some of the groups make a bit of sense but others :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:53 pm

Hey Johnyy, try this one. Still plenty of room for argument--there always will be--but it looks to be fairly uselful for your purposes.
Deactivated Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:51 pm

Mr-T,
Thanks for the link, I'll add it to my 'favorites' - looking at the list what do you think of the Cluster I classification, it makes me want to try a Springbank and a Glen Scotia, are they really that similar to Bowmore, Bruichladdich and Isle Jura ?

Well we've got two classification list links here so far, any more ?

I'm not starting this post for 'argument' sake, just interested in what folks think of these classification lists, Sorry Mr-T if I'm not arugmentative, but I'm sure we can hit it hard again sometime :)
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Re: Classification of Malts

Postby Lawrence » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:34 pm

This is actually well known, quite old and has been discussed before but is still interesting.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Scotchio » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:00 am

JohnyyGuitar wrote:Mr-T,
Thanks for the link, I'll add it to my 'favorites' - looking at the list what do you think of the Cluster I classification, it makes me want to try a Springbank and a Glen Scotia, are they really that similar to Bowmore, Bruichladdich and Isle Jura ?

Well we've got two classification list links here so far, any more ?

I'm not starting this post for 'argument' sake, just interested in what folks think of these classification lists, Sorry Mr-T if I'm not arugmentative, but I'm sure we can hit it hard again sometime :)

They are all well worth trying(Jura less so,although some say the peated ones are good). It's interesting that they link these, to me they seem to share an irony/passionfruit note although they are quite different on a number of other levels. Iseem to remember Jackson attributing the iron in Bowmore to the rock the water passes through and given the location of these distilleries it seems possible that they are on similar rock forms. Course that could also be complete nonsense but it's a nice idea. :)
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:00 pm

As promised , here is a shortened list of categorized malts, yes tattie I do have too much time on my hands and ought to use it more productively, but not enough to want to put every distillery on this list.
nb categorized by core flavour

Creamy /spicy- Benrinnes, Bladnoch, Auchentoshan, Edradour
Fruity- Scapa, Oban, Balblair, Lochside
Big sherry- Macallan, Glenfarclas, Mortlach, Glendronach,
Toffee/spice- Glen Rothes, Aberlour,Tamdhu
Classic highland( smoke, often sherried, full bodied, sometimes a bit murky)- Teaninich, Ben Nevis, Balmenach, Dalmore, Highland Park, Glen Garioch,Lochnagar, Tomatin, Glenury
Honied- McDuff, Balvenie, Glenlossie, Lighter honied- Dalwhinnie,Glenfiddich,Strathmill, Deanston, Aberfeldy
Briny/complex- Springbank,Bunny,Oban, Scapa(older bottlings)
malty- Longmorn, Cardhu,Glen Grant, St Magdalene, Dallas Dhu
Classic Spey( Barley/ fruit/smoke)- Benriach, Speyburn, Dailuaine, Strathisla, Knockdu, Imperial
Peaty-3 Islays
Mid peat- Bowmore, Caol ila, port ellen, Longrow, taliskker, Brora, Ardmore
Light peat- clynel;ish, glen scotia, Banff, Glenlochy, North port, Millburn
Light/ complex( light bodied, grassy barley centred)- Glenmorangie, Rosebank, Cragganmore, Laddie, Tomintoul, Braeval, Glenlivet, tullibardine
light/ less complex( barley/ malt centred, light and less going on)- Inverleven, Glen moray, Glendullan,Aultmore, Pulteney

There you go, Talisker and springbank are very hard to categorize and perhaps ought not to be.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:29 pm

scotchio,
Let me be the first to thank you, "Thank You", even with my limited knowledge I'd say I'd have to agree with most of what you've said in your list. Your Briney/Complex has Longmorn and Oban, considering recent purchase of Longmorn I did liken it Oban, as you've stated in your list...

You know a guy(me) could learn something around here if he ain't to carefull :)

Ok I'm leaving town for the weekend, and think of picking up a bottle, I'm thinking budget here......as the folks I'll be with aren't real scotch conisewers
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:31 pm

Interesting List Scotchio maybe a handy to have list in the back pocket ....

What about liquorice though I would have to have that as a co catagory at least.

Weldone ... not a bad pointer for us amatures ... who needs JM or MJ :wink: :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:21 am

Erm, i put Oban in Fruity, older bottlings can be more peaty and salty, Longmorn was in malty but the 15 does have a bit of salt and citrus, like I said these things are a bit futile.

Licorice ,Adrian, is not one of my favourite notes, especially when it's a core flavour, it seems to be on the same spectrum as anise to me. The whiskies where I've found it most prevalent are Auchroisk, Pittyvaich, Dufftown and Glenfiddich 12 but as it's not something I'm keen on I haven't gone back to try that many more from these and find out if it's a common note.

I've also found anise/licorice notes to a lesser and more enjoyable extent in some bottlings of Benrinnes, Banff, Glen Mhor, Convalmore,Glendronach, Glentauchers and St Magdalene.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder