Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Which Laddie?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Which Laddie?

Postby shoganai » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:44 am

I came across two Bruichladdichs today, really wanted to get one but then ultimately decided to consult this forum for some sage advice on the matter.

There's a bottle of 16TH HOLE AUGUSTA for about $40 and one of XVII for about $70.

Which would you recommend to a Laddie newbie? If price wasn't an issue, which would you recommend?
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:22 am

I much prefer the XVII and the price is less than the 15 is around LA which is around $75. I do have to say that the Links Augusta is very good too.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:14 am

Yes, the XVII is very good! I also loved the first edition of the 15y, a perfect whisky!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:25 am

Didn't somebody just ask about choosing between the Augusta and the Yellow Submarine?

I'll repeat what I told him: I found the Augusta soapy and unpleasant, the only Links I've had so far that I didn't much enjoy--in fact, the one 'Laddie I can recall that left a really negative impression.
Deactivated Member

Postby shoganai » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:06 am

I had asked about Yellow Submarine, but not as a comparison to any other Laddie.

Looks like the field is split on this one. Maybe I'll have to get them both and decide for myslef.

I've decided not to be a non-collector anymore anyway.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:34 am

shoganai wrote:Looks like the field is split on this one.

How so? Two people said yes to the XVII, and one said no to the Augusta. It looks unanimous to me!
Deactivated Member

Postby shoganai » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:46 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:How so? Two people said yes to the XVII, and one said no to the Augusta. It looks unanimous to me!

The tally in my head included a PM'd comment. Of the two direct comparisons I've recieved, it's a tie. I guess if I'm going to use my own imrpovised scoring system that includes unposted information I should keep it to myself.

But you're right, in terms of overall feedback, XVII is the winner.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby TroyM » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:47 am

Seeing as there are Laddie comparisons being made, which of these two should I go for?

Infinity - first edition
3DMoine Mhor

I like both sherry and peated whisky and have the chance to buy one of these two.
TroyM
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:22 am

TroyM wrote:Seeing as there are Laddie comparisons being made, which of these two should I go for?

Infinity - first edition
3DMoine Mhor

I like both sherry and peated whisky and have the chance to buy one of these two.

Troy go mad and buy them both I would. You will only feel sad for the one you leave behind. It will be like leaving a poor sad little puppy behind that wants to go with you. :thumbsup:
les taylor

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:07 pm

TroyM wrote:Seeing as there are Laddie comparisons being made, which of these two should I go for?

Infinity - first edition
3DMoine Mhor

I'm with Les argument that you should consider both if you can. If you feel you have to chose one I'd go for the Infinity as it is a superior to the 3D Second Edition. The first edition 3D Peat Proposal was better than the Moine Mhor so if you can find this I'd go for it. The Infinity is probably the one to go for though.
Mr Fjeld

Postby ccrank.freeserve.co.uk » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:35 pm

I couldn't decide between Augusta and WMD11 Yellow sub so in the end got the 10yr old which was the last one he had in stock and wasn't sure if he could get anymore .Very good it is to .
ccrank.freeserve.co.uk

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:08 pm

out of the two you asked about, it would have to be the 17yo.

in addition, the 17yo is no longer made and is being replaced with an 18yo version, so grab it while you can.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby TroyM » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:13 am

I have just found out I can get the following

Infinity 1st Edition
3D Moine Mhor
Full Strength (1994)
XV11

Which ones are the pick of the crop.
TroyM
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:16 am

I really liked the Full Strength, and in fact have a couple in reserve. I especially enjoy it after a peat monster.
Deactivated Member

Postby shoganai » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:48 pm

I went with the XVII. The discount was too good (using Binny's as a benchmark) and overall the reviews were favorable enough to take a chance with it. Inside the tube, there is a form for a "Cask Offer 2003", which leads me to believe this was bottled in 2003 if that means anything.

The 16th Hole was actually closer to $50 so I decided to pass for now. If the LCB chops the price again I might reconsider.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby bond » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:46 am

Not strictly related to the question asked but I have a 14 YO St Andrews 10th Hole (Turnberry) and its a remarkable bottling .

Do the folks at Laddie have a distillation commemorating each of the holes at both the courses or are there a few signature holes which merit this?

Cheers
bond
Gold Member

Postby Leither » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:10 am

bond wrote:Not strictly related to the question asked but I have a 14 YO St Andrews 10th Hole (Turnberry) and its a remarkable bottling .

Do the folks at Laddie have a distillation commemorating each of the holes at both the courses or are there a few signature holes which merit this?

Cheers

Hi Bond - in recent years 'Laddie' have released a Links range to commemorate where the British Open (Golf) is being held. This year was Carnoustie, last year was Hoylake, then if memory serves me correct 2005 was St Andrews.

You may be getting mixed up tho as St Andrews 10th isn't called Turnberry (a different links course altogether). I think the St Andrews bottling may be called Swilken Bridge?
Leither
Gold Member

Postby bond » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:10 am

Its called Turnberry for sure. Let me check the bottle and revert on the course.
bond
Gold Member

Postby trs94 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:22 am

St Andrews is a different bottling. The full name of the Turnberry is "Turnberry 10th - Limited Edition" - 14 Years old. It is 4th in the Links series.

I enjoy it quite a bit...and would pick up another bottle if I ever come across one. There are 12000 of the Turnberry. I'm not sure about the others.

Todd
trs94

Postby TroyM » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:51 am

Which of the 3D series does everyone prefer?
TroyM
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:44 pm

TroyM wrote:Which of the 3D series does everyone prefer?

I definately prefer the first edition "3D Peat Proposal" . The second edition Mòine Mhòr is nothing special.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:18 pm

Didn't care for the single drams I had of either one. Vatting too-young peaty stuff with older whisky doesn't make the peaty stuff mature. Tasted like one of those late-night experiments ("Hey, what would happen if you mixed...?") that didn't work out. Haven't tried the third edition.
Deactivated Member

Postby TroyM » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:27 am

I have tasted the Moine Mhor. Wasnt bad but it tasted fairly similar to another whisky whos name escapes me at them moment.

Was wrapped that I picked up a case of PC5's, will be opening one this weekend for a sample.
TroyM
Bronze Member

Postby Peatlover » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:35 pm

We just picked up a bottle of the Peat Proposal and a bottle of Rocks - both unopened as of today. I LOVED the Moine Mhor, so I am really looking forward to the Peat Proposal!! :P

I haven't seen a bottle of the Yellow Sub in BC yet - is it worth picking up if I see one?
Peatlover

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:05 pm

I thought the Yellow Sub was a pretty nice Laddie--depends on the price, I suppose. But I would think that if you haven't seen it by now, you aren't going to. It was released two years ago.
Deactivated Member

Postby alea » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:18 pm

OK

These are the 70 cl. Bruichladdich Links:

Links I - Old Course St. Andrews
Links II - 16th hole Augusta
Links III - 18th green Royal Troon
Links IV - Turnberry
Links V - Liverpool Hoylake
Links VI - Kclub
Links VII - Carnoustie

and this one the 50 cl. :

Links - St. Andrews Old Swilcan Bridge
Links - Swilcan Burned (exclusively bottled for Gall & Gall in the NL)
alea

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder