Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Continue aging, is it possible?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Continue aging, is it possible?

Postby LeoDLion » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:49 pm

In my dull moment (perhaps inspirational?), I was thinking if this is at all possible? Take say 5 bottles of 'early' single malt and put it in a small cask. Place it in a cool dark place for several years. Can you say that the aging process continues?

Assuming that you can fabricate a small cask made of the same material as the ones used by the distilleries. In fact, if this method works, some enterprising person may sell this small casks for home use?

The normal bottling process is simple. From cask to bottle, done! Some do filter the malt before bottling but this does not change the chemical makeup.

So, malt makers expert out there, what do you think?
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:37 pm

This would certainly work in practice. But, if it is a small cask, it will have a high proportion of the whisky in contact with the weed, so it will mature very quickly. Moreover, if you use new oak rather than a barrel that has previously been filled, you'll find the cask gives a very strong vanilla flavour very quickly. Leave it too long and it would start to get bitter. You'd really need to ask yourself what you were hoping to achieve by doing this - given that age is not necessarily a virtue.

Then, you'd have real difficulty selling the product on - even if you could get a licence. And I don't know what the SWA would permit by way of an age statement. If you did want to do it commercially, you'd find it easier to buy a cask of whisky and leave it to mature for as long as you like - saves unnecessary bottles and building casks.

A really interesting question, though.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:56 pm

Here you go just what your looking for ,..... (okay maybe not with JD on it but it would do the trick.

and if you want to buy one....

http://www.spirituosen-superbillig.com/s01.php?shopid=s01&cur=eur&sp=en&ag=1&pp=aa&bnr=2014
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:03 pm

Nick Brown wrote:But, if it is a small cask, it will have a high proportion of the whisky in contact with the weed, so it will mature very quickly.

And give you a hell of a buzz....
Deactivated Member

Postby peat-chaser » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:45 am

If you wanna try, you should organize a small, used cask and please be
carefull with 'decoration-casks', they might be 'plastic-coated' on the inner
side, if so there is no further maturation.

I wish you much fun trying :D
peat-chaser
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:25 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Nick Brown wrote:But, if it is a small cask, it will have a high proportion of the whisky in contact with the weed, so it will mature very quickly.

:oops:

How on earth did that happen - the o and the e are nowhere near each other on the keyboard?
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:16 am

Nick Brown wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:

:oops:

How on earth did that happen - the o and the e are nowhere near each other on the keyboard?

I didn't get it yesterday when I read that, I do now. Nick that's very funny.

:)
les taylor

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:38 pm

Thanks everyone for your input.

I just ordered a couple of 2-litter oak barrel from a supplier here in Texas. I believe the barrel will come as is although there is an option to buy a charred barrel for whisky ageing.

I will read as much as I can about the process of ageing in a cask. I am also thinking of using McClellan Islay (a young Bowmore ?) which I can buy in a larger bottle, one liter I believe. Since the barrel comes with a spigot, I can sample anytime.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:42 pm

LeoDLion wrote:Thanks everyone for your input.

I just ordered a couple of 2-litter oak barrel from a supplier here in Texas. I believe the barrel will come as is although there is an option to buy a charred barrel for whisky ageing.

I will read as much as I can about the process of ageing in a cask. I am also thinking of using McClellan Islay (a young Bowmore ?) which I can buy in a larger bottle, one liter I believe. Since the barrel comes with a spigot, I can sample anytime.

Leo the sampling is called the angels share :angel: :angel:
les taylor

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:53 pm

Les,
Lol, yes Angel's Share of 3%. I guess the angels and I will be sharing for a while.

Leo
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder