Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New Douglas Laing packaging

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Do you like the new Douglas Laing OMC packaging?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes : 33

New Douglas Laing packaging

Postby parvus » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:16 am

I just saw this over on Whiskyfun, the new packaging for the OMC range from DL:

What does everyone else think? I have to say that I think it looks fantastic. Modern yet still retaining some of its classic appeal.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:19 am

It's what's inside that counts!

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby parvus » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:42 am

hpulley wrote:It's what's inside that counts!

Harry

That's neither here nor there, harry. I'm pretty sure people here drink whisky so it's rather moot saying that what's inside counts, innit?

How about giving us your opinion on the packaging?
parvus
Silver Member

Postby SoMK » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:58 am

Funny how the design follows the same road the Glenfarclas took a few times ago.
Simplification, modernisation and human presence, the signature on the label for example... imho, the original OMC had a more retro and quite "medicinal" look :wink:
Let those graphists work :lol:
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:32 am

I can't say that I really like it, but would agree with the statement that it is an improvement over the last.

But, may tastes may not be the most popular as I rather like the new HP design. :oops:
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:05 am

parvus wrote:
hpulley wrote:It's what's inside that counts!

Harry

That's neither here nor there, harry. I'm pretty sure people here drink whisky so it's rather moot saying that what's inside counts, innit?

How about giving us your opinion on the packaging?

Holding a '72 OMC Brora in my hands here I must say I prefer the old packaging but perhaps in my hands the new one will look preferable...

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby kildalton » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:58 am

Uhm...I don't like it :shock: but it's the inside that matters.
I found the previous packaging more old fashion with lot of written lines...

Anyaway just my opinion :)
kildalton
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:47 am

I like it! I think they've done a great job updating it. I would like a closer look to see exactly what the label says. It's been updated, a bit more modern, but still has its link to the past and previous label. A check of the site doesn't have it, surprising, even with their updated new releases.
(But they have mentioned Susan Webster has their best wishes in her move "to a competitor’s company." Good luck Susan, yes, and all the best too! Looking forward to hearing which company...)
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:18 pm

Di Blasi wrote:(But they have mentioned Susan Webster has their best wishes in her move "to a competitor’s company." Good luck Susan, yes, and all the best too! Looking forward to hearing which company...)

Whoops! I didn't realize this had already been mentioned, by Fred Laing himself on the "Position Vacant ?" topic!
http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6543
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:34 pm

hpulley wrote:Holding a '72 OMC Brora in my hands here I must say I prefer the old packaging but perhaps in my hands the new one will look preferable...

Have to disagree with you, Harry. The new one would most certainly look preferable in my hands.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:27 am

The packaging is somewhat of a turnoff for me. I've never been thrilled by avocado or olive green. For me this is better packaging....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:45 pm

Bottle shape is nice but not sure about the label .....

I voted No but it still would not stop me from buying a bottle ... as mention again and again it's what's in the bottle and would not say that I'm very fashion consious so who am I to talk :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby martin grant » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:53 pm

I voted 'yes'
I think the new look packaging looks much crisper and cleaner. Certainly more contemporary.

:thumbsup:
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:55 pm

Well I am happy they didn't change the shape of the box, but I can't say the whole thing wowed me. I hope marketing didn't spend a lot of money here on this so more could be spent on buying great whisky.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:31 pm

I'd say the new packaging is an enormous improvement. The old packaging lacked any focal point to draw the eye in, and the layout on the label was messy. To me it looked cheap. The new packaging is clear about what the product is, looks classy. I think IB presentation has generally been pretty poor, but in this case it makes the IB look like it just might be as good as an OB - which may not be important for us but would be important for many potential buyers.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:23 pm

Nick Brown wrote:I'd say the new packaging is an enormous improvement. The old packaging lacked any focal point to draw the eye in, and the layout on the label was messy. .............................................. The new packaging is clear about what the product is, looks classy. I think IB presentation has generally been pretty poor, but in this case it makes the IB look like it just might be as good as an OB - which may not be important for us but would be important for many potential buyers.

I'll second that. I also think the old box was a little confusing and that this new one clears up the mess. And it looks great! The green colour will certainly go well with their old Ardbeg editions too.......
Mr Fjeld

Postby Jan » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:58 pm

I agree with the latest posts - a vast improvement over the old design :thumbsup:
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:02 pm

I have to say that I think the new design is a little dull and uninspiring. I'm not sure that it would inspire me to buy a bottle.

I do hope the new design did not cost them too much. . .
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:24 am

Like it.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:39 am

I like it, too (although I'm mystified that Nick thought the old design looked "cheap"). I guess we look to design to tell us something about the way the company perceives itself, or wants to be perceived. We all have different ideas as to whether whisky is the province of the hip and happening, or of the stodgy old f*rts. I guess I fall more toward the latter camp--I like the tradition of it, mistrust the trendy, don't like the loud and hard sell, and don't want to be "inspired" to buy by clever marketing; so I tend to like more conservative design. The new, raked "Old Malt Cask" on the box is modern-looking and easy to read, but otherwise the whole will not look out of place sticking out of the pocket of one of my tweeds. That may horrify some, but it works for me.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:43 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:although I'm mystified that Nick thought the old design looked "cheap"

I mean it looked as though the labels had been drawn up on a desk top publisher by someone who didn't understand design - hence too many fonts, no white space, no focal point. The result was that it looked like a generic value brand - rather far from the high quality contents I would expect in an OMC.

I don't think DL were alone in having poor design - Cadenheads and Provenance are just as bad. I like the G&M individual distillery labels and often have to check to see whether they are IBs or OBs. I also think the SMWS labels are really dire - I loved the 26 Malts range and read the book of the series at the weekend.

All personal opinion, of course.
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:47 pm

Well if you want something thats going to look pretty sitting on your shelf to admire and show off to your buddies it's ok ......
But as Harry pointed out it's what's on the inside that counts (at least to us drinkers......) . it can come in a bog standard bottle , plain label , not bothered about a box (Raymonds got it right at Bladnoch with his "other" bottlings !) as long as it meets 2 criteria....
(a) the contents of the bottle are good
(b) the cost of the Graphics designers fancy new layout / packaging isn't bumping the price up !
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:13 pm

Obviously, what's inside matters - the question is whether people will ever get to taste it.

Do you buy generic cola? I don't. For all I know, Coop cola might be much nicer than Coca Cola - but I'll never know because I'll never buy the stuff.

Now in the case of whisky, half the battle is getting the consumer to pick the bottle off the shelf. IBs tend to look like the gereric cola - cheap and nasty. After all, if it were any good, the distillery would have bottled it itself, surely? At least, that's what punters could be forgiven for thinking. IBs have an image problem, and I think the new packaging is likely to help rather than hinder sales of Old Malt Cask.

The same is true of OBs - they also have to look for market position and market share. Raymond at Bladnoch probably knows he has limited stock and a clientele who are willing to buy it - no need for marketing or fancy design. But Bruichladdich, on the other hand, seem to have a lot of stock and think it worth investing a lot of money and effort into marketing. Doubtless this adds to the high cost of Bruichladdich whisky, but it seems to work for them. Relying on "what's inside counting" might cut costs, but I'm sure it would also reduce sales.
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:47 pm

The point i was trying to get across was that there seems to be too much of an emphasis on Cosmetic looks and not the content and not whether i've took the pepsi challenge......
I agree half the battle is getting the public to pick the bottle up and purchase it that's why the big companies spend so much on Advertising .
It all boils down to the individual again , i don't like fancy packaging other people do , i love the SMWS labels - it tells me what i want to know and keeps the costs down , you think they're dire , personal taste and opinion .
With the spiralling costs of malt whisky , will people (here on this forum , not the General public) be relying on what the packaging looks like or rather what it tastes like when deciding their next costly purchase , the latter i would have thought....

Nice to see you managed to get Bruichladdich into this thread , another mention , more savings on the advertising budget :wink:
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:35 pm

Packaging definitely helps here around the Xmas season when you want something that non-whisky people think their Dad or Granddad would want as a gift. Around here the only whisky ads you ever see are occasional ones for Glenfiddich and Johnny Walker so the package is the only chance they have to impress a new consumer. Hard to find among all the wine bottles though... imported whisky is a pretty inconsequential part of the alcohol market here.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:42 pm

I understand your point, and I agree with you that, from the moment the cork is first popped, it's what is inside that counts. But I think you might be underestimating the power of cosmetic looks in selling the product. I know I am swayed by looks and other posters on these pages seem to be wowed by great presentation when it comes to trying new bottlings.

Of course I mentioned Bruichladdich. They have - arguably - the best presented bottles on the market and it is obvious that they invest heavily in their design work. I am sure this has helped them (a) to persuade shops to stock their product and (b) to persuade people to buy the whisky from those shops. The different editions, bottlings, series, etc. all contribute to selling more bottles of their whisky.

I know that some people like the understated SMWS labels. That's fair enough. But I would argue that they don't have all the information I want. I find I have to cross reference to find out which distillery produced the whisky (unless it is 1, 2, 3 or 4 which I can remember!) and then cross reference to tasting notes to be sure which bottling is which. The same fault is true, though, of the 26 malts labels.

Out of interest, what did you or others think of the 26 malts project?
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:50 pm

I thought the 26 malts was an interesting concept , some worked , some didn't , i liked the only one i bought the "Cooking Oil" Caol Ila , it tickled me especially as Caol Ila is regarded as a factory compared to the other Islays .
I also liked last years Whisky With ...... labels as i'm a fan of Bob Dewars Illustrations , will be interesting to see if this years ones are the same .
Regarding the codes , again i think they are a good thing in the SMWS , i was going to say unique to them but then G&M "Borrowed" the idea for the Secret stills.....
It adds a touch of mystery to the bottle plus in 1983 it gave them a way to persuade distilleries to sell them casks !
The one thing i will say is that until you do it , you don't know how hard it is to come up with a design for a whisky label , i know i've done it , it may seem like an easy thought (and it can be in your head ) but getting it down on the paper and then transferring it through the printing , what it looks like on the bottle .......oh and the legal requirements.......the Distillery permissions......

One question regarding the DL bottle is it the standard height of a bottle ?
It's not a taller one that will muck up the shelving heights ?
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:16 pm

The cooking oil whisky really stood out on the shelf. It's surprising that it is so effective when other labels that were much more technically accomplished just blended into the background. I also have the set of whisky with... I got the 10cls to try and the 50 cls to keep but I am sorely tempted by the old sherried one - was it a Longmorn?

I'm sure that designing whisky labels is no mean feat. It's not something that I have ever tried but the diaries in the 26 Malts make it look like an interesting challenge.
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:51 pm

Yes it's a Longmorn and by god it's good ! i bought a full set of the 10cl ones , the only one i thought let it down was the Linkwood , the Laphroaig is great and the Laddie excellent . We finished the longmorn pretty fast but luckily Mel won another 10cl one at a SMWS tasting :)
Looking forward to the Glenmo amongst the new set , might go the full 50cl bottle this time as all the SMWS Glenmo's i've tried have been stunning !
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby bamber » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:26 pm

Was that the Longmorn that was so dark it was almost black ?
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:14 pm

It was a very Dark Mahogany Bamber .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:01 am

That's the one ! I had a couple in the SMWS bar. I think you recommended it when it was released. Really excellent and really different - what the SMWS is all about.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:07 am

I like the design too.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Mustardhead » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:45 pm

I like the new bottle design. Clear bottles are preferable to green, just in general. The bottle labels do look cleaner, though I quite liked the old ones.

The box design is probably cleaner, certainly the main label looks like it could be clearer than previously. However, I really dislike the crappy slanted text, it looks like a sale sign outside a secondhand car dealer.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:29 pm

I must say I think the new design looks awesome. Reminds me a little of Talisker. Glad to see it's a Port Ellen on the picture as well... :P

Cheers

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder