Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Kilchoman 5 yr. old Futures

General chat and talk about whisky.

Kilchoman 5 yr. old Futures

Postby CanadianThistle » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:50 pm

Hello All,

Any thoughts on Kilchoman's proposed futures offering on their first 5 year old bottling?

Cheers,
Al from Winnipeg
CanadianThistle

Postby martin grant » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:16 pm

The new make from Kilchoman is fantastic. As long as they've got some good casks the 5 year old will be a good dram. Would rather have the bourbon cask than the sherry to be honest.

Would be good to see the price details first

Cheers

http://www.kilchomandistillery.com/cask.asp
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:57 pm

ive just dropped them a mail, sounds interesting :wink:
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:23 pm

vitara7 wrote:ive just dropped them a mail, sounds interesting :wink:

Me too thanks for flagging that up guy's.

:thumbsup:
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby r900p » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:04 am

Kilchoman, :evil:

Didn;t find them the most helpful when i was on Islay, there were renevating but had asked a month before we went if we could pop in and sort out payment etc for a cask, whihc they said was fine, when we arrived, they were too busy to talk to us, and said when the money had been transferred to their account they'd fill a cask for us.

I'm sure it was a one off, but still if you invte somebody over you should make the effort to stand by your word, but we got another laddie cask instead, which is probably just as well as i'm not a fan of the new spirit at all, i agree its excellent but just not for me at all.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:39 am

Yes, interesting. There new make spirit is promising and I'm sure that 5y release will be good!
Di Blasi

Postby kildalton » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:51 am

I would be interested in a cask share.
I have not so much money to put on it but if someone here (2 or 3 members)would like to buy a cask I eradily partecipate.
No problem ins ending my part of money if the mates are well known forum members, I still believe in honesty. :angel:
kildalton
Silver Member

Postby fishboy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:27 am

Just had an email from the distillery. The Futures offer is £165 for 6 bottles in bond (i.e duty and VAT unpaid) released as a 5 year old (bottling in 2011). Whilst this compares well to Bruichladdich futures it makes my cask look really good value.

Apparently they have also stopped cask sales to the general public.
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Leither » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:05 am

Yip, also got e-mail from Kilchoman - pricey for 6 bottles in bond so not for me. I'd rather have a share in a cask elsewhere for that money.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:25 am

I also received this mail and my first thought was the same - a little pricey.
I am still unsure whether to pursue.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:53 am

Interesting to see Kilchoman doing this. I went to the Kilchoman night at the SMWS and was very impressed with their new make. I got chatting to the chap who runs the distillery (can't remember his name) and discussed his marketing. He said he had stopped selling the new make to RMW because it sold out too fast - which is an absurd reason. And at an equivalent of £70 for a full bottle of new make, it probably vastly exceeds the price he'd get for fully mature spirit. He also mentioned the difficulties of cash flow given that his product wouldn't come to market for so long. I suggested he sold it now as futures, as Bruichladdich did. His immediate reaction was not warm - he had a marketing and development plan and futures were not part of it. He really didn't want to depart from the plan. But now it looks as though the penny has dropped.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:04 am

I haven't yet heard back from them. I wonder how much it would be then when all is paid?? Any ideas?
Di Blasi

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder